Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switch Panel Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Switch Panel Tutorial

Okay I tried searching and found a bunch of stuff about the NX switch panel but thats it...

I want to know if anyone has a tutorial on how to make a decent looking switch panel for the ash tray. I just want a good place to mount some hidden switches and I would like to make it look good and do it myself...

"Thanks" in advance!
Old 08-23-2004, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

I am wiorking on one of these and should have it done withing the week. I will try to post it when I am done. If you like it let me know and I will make one for you. I do need to know if it's a T/A or z28. Ithink the ashtray's are different. If they are not my g/f has a 95 camaro and I can make it off of that. If anyone else is looking for one I will be glad to accomadate you.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:51 PM
Launching!

bumb
Old 08-26-2004, 09:16 PM
Launching!

I just made mine by hand. First I took out the center console (carefully, wouldn't want to scratch anything) and ran all of my wires. I went to Radioshack and bought some power connectors to make the connections. It's really nice being able to simply unplug the whole switch pannel when I need to work on something... plus it's neater, especally when you use convo-tubing. Here's a picture of my partially finished wiring job:

Next I made the switch. First I took some paper and hand-cut a pattern to fit into the ashtrey area. (Note: This took several attempts.) I took some thin brushed aluminum stock and cut and trimmed the plate. This took me two attempts, as it's really easy to scratch up the plates or get the cuts wrong. I drew out (with a pencil) the holes I wanted (making sure that they'd clear the what-nots that hold the ashtrey in... be sure you take that in consideration, unless you don't care about cutting up the stock console to make your pannel fit). I initially drilled holes with a drill, then moved to hand files to make the holes the proper size.

Unfortunately the switches I wanted were WAY too long to fit under the lid of the ashtrey, so I had to cut some 1 inch PVC to set them deeper... the two swtiches up top also had to be placed deeper so that they would clear the lid opening and closing. After getting the PVC bits cut, I glued a felt backing on and slit it for the switches. Next, I glued the switches with their PVC pieces on the pannel, and glued small aluminum support pieces between the switches to make everything nice and strong. Finally, I ran my wires from the switches to my Radioshack plug connector. Here's a picture before I finished out the outside edges and installed it in the car:

Finally, I used some double sided tape (from walmart) to install the unit in the console!

Old 08-27-2004, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

is that a push button starter?

What are all the other switches for?
Old 08-27-2004, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

That is a very sharp setup you go there. Looks very well put together. Which short throw is that?
Old 08-27-2004, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Damnn... I like.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by taJon
is that a push button starter?

What are all the other switches for?
It's an engine start button from a 2002 Honda S2000. It lights red and matches the interior lights nicely. The vert rocker switch (with the "top" scraped off) is for the power antenna.

Two of the switches are for arming the first and second stages of my nitrous, one is purge, one is the bottle heater, and one kills those pesky yellow running lights. The rest are system status lights.

My shifter is a factory (option) Hurst, with an aftermark stainless short stick. They used to sell them on ebay, but I haven't seen them in a while.

Thanks for the compliments.