Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls6 maybe?

well did some searching and found the cast number but im having a hard time finding it on the block...in one of the searches i did i found that there is an easier way to see if i have an ls6 block w/o using the casting number or by checking the luster of the block(not most accurate)..however the link to this "easier way" was not working so if someone would be so kind to tell me SO I CAN FIGURE THIS THE **** OUT!

have a nice day
Old 09-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Launching!

ttt..
Old 09-02-2004, 09:05 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont bother with the casting hue or bulleyez or any other "easier" method. take a small mirror and put it behind the drivers side head on the block, you'll see the casting number there.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jrp
dont bother with the casting hue or bulleyez or any other "easier" method. take a small mirror and put it behind the drivers side head on the block, you'll see the casting number there.
to the Nth
Old 09-03-2004, 04:53 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

heres a pic of my ls6 block

Old 09-03-2004, 04:58 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

and about the only benefit to the ls6 block

Old 09-03-2004, 07:33 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by jrp
and about the only benefit to the ls6 block

Old 09-03-2004, 12:06 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah... I'm wondering too. I forget the benefit of having the LS6 block. I know it's miniscule...
Old 09-03-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What serial number should a ls6 block contain? What year did they sneak them into F-Bodys? Which part of the engint can you find it? Oh yeah and what web site can you go to to find out more info?

Thanks Guys!
Old 09-03-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MetallicBluews6
What serial number should a ls6 block contain? What year did they sneak them into F-Bodys? Which part of the engint can you find it? Oh yeah and what web site can you go to to find out more info?

Thanks Guys!
Weren't you the 'VETERAN' of F-bodies? https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=207400&page=5 You are now driving your second one, far more knowledgeable then the rest of us I'm sure. We should be posing such questions to you, oh guru of the f-bodies. Perhaps I could make a most humble suggestion oh great one. Use the SEARCH feature, it's not just for those 'kids' you mentioned before anymore. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...0&page=9&pp=10 I thought you would have used this method to finish your degree from U of I, I stand corrected. Happy trails, and happy SEARCHING.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Junkie

The LS1 Info link in jrp's sig is a great place to start for the questions you've got, MetallicBlue.

-Mike
Old 09-03-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey MyssterSS I apologize for my previouse actions. Its in the past. Maybe I am not the expert or the Veteran. I have a little bit of knowledge compared to you guys on this site. Beleive me when I say that on the street alot of people lack knowledge. This site is incredible since there are so many smart and intelligent individuals. You have to understand I am pretty new to this site and I just wanted to give my own $.02. Now look I am asking more questions and trying to be as knowledgable as I can. Beleive me I have learned from my previouse mistakes. I will sit back read and learn from you real veterans of this site. You guys are damn smart!! Thanks for the LINK MysterySS.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Apology accepted, however it is not me you should apologize to. You slammed a young guy for asking what some will consider a newbie question while others are sitting back wondering the same thing. The only difference is that he stepped up and did it. Remember in school when the teacher told you, "The only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask"? Let them do as they please here, it IS an open forum. Everyone tries to help each other regardless of experience as long as the questions posed are valid and not backed with inflated claims. You have now seen how it feels to be belittled for something. What you may consider advanced some may consider a weekend project, it's all relative, remember that. Here is the appropriate link to the knowledge you seek. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ls6+block+code
Old 09-03-2004, 02:19 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

bay window
Old 09-03-2004, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jrp

bay window
that provides increased cooling capabilities, does it not? doesn't it also weaken the block somewhat? is that window responsible for the ls6 being weaker then the ls1? i always see ppl talking about the ls1 block being stronger then the ls6...but it only mattering past hp levels above say 550hp. can anyone explain this to me??
Old 09-03-2004, 04:07 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
that provides increased cooling capabilities, does it not? doesn't it also weaken the block somewhat? is that window responsible for the ls6 being weaker then the ls1? i always see ppl talking about the ls1 block being stronger then the ls6...but it only mattering past hp levels above say 550hp. can anyone explain this to me??
provides better bay to bay breathing @ high rpm. yes its because of the big bay windows that alot of engine builders believe the ls1 block is a better base for an extreme use setup.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am wondering why this would decrease the engine's capabilities, I have built engines before and worked on them a long time, and I see no reason why this would hurt performance. The engine's breathing has nothing to do with power, no matter how highly modified, it has to do with durability and effeciency. This bay window IMO has no reason to hinder high hp engines. If, anything, it would help cars that run for long periods of time. Just my opinion though and other engine builders may dissagree, but I would like to hear why.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrp
I agree with the casting hue check, but I was told by a slp Rep to check for the "bullseye". I did not see it so I believe I have the LS6 block. I have tried the mirror method to check the casting #, but can't reach it from the hood (unless someone has a How-to tip to share). I have also never heard of the ls6 block having this bullseye, can someone shed any light on the subject (maybe someone with the bullseye whe DEFINATELY has the LS6 block)???