Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm almost ready to buy...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm almost ready to buy...

In the next 6 months or so I'll be in the market for an LS1 T/A. I'll probably be working with $19-20k, so I'll be looking at 00-02 TA M6's. What are some things that I should be looking for when I view the cars? Common problems, indicators of future problems, etc. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2005, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered buying a 98-99 Z28 or Formula for $10k-$12k and then dumping the rest of the money into it in mods?
You can rebuild/replace a lot in the car for that kinda dough.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
You can rebuild/replace a lot in the car for that kinda dough.
Well, not really.
I guess it depends on how you look at it, and what you consider to be a lot
Lets count. For the sake of argument, let's not factor in used prices, and count new part prices.

12 bolt or 9".
Long Tubes (lets not even buy the most expensive ones. Lets get Pacesetters), ypipe, catback to seal the deal.
Converter/shiftkit/tranny cooler/tranny gauge package. (Again, lets not even get an expensive one like Yank, lets get a Fuddle Racing one, or a TCI)
Cam/heads, springs, pushrods, the whole 9 yards.

Now lets get this installed.

How much is left, out of that $10k ?
Old 05-02-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I plan on building on it slow. First thing would be headers/ory/catback/lid, of course. I'd probably be happy with that for a while until I got up the gumption to buy a cam. I don't see really going much farther than that. Plus, I'd like a low mileage car so I can keep it for a while. I run nearly 30k miles a year on my cars.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by toastychicken
I'll be looking at 00-02 TA M6's. What are some things that I should be looking for when I view the cars? Common problems, indicators of future problems, etc. Thanks!

Hope you dont rule out a low mileage 98-99 if you come across one cuz that wouldnt be very smart...go by the miles and previous owner maintenance. You could get a newer one with little miles but they could be hard driven miles from somebody that couldnt handle it. Never know.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by firechicken2k
Well, not really.
I guess it depends on how you look at it, and what you consider to be a lot
Lets count. For the sake of argument, let's not factor in used prices, and count new part prices.

12 bolt or 9".
Long Tubes (lets not even buy the most expensive ones. Lets get Pacesetters), ypipe, catback to seal the deal.
Converter/shiftkit/tranny cooler/tranny gauge package. (Again, lets not even get an expensive one like Yank, lets get a Fuddle Racing one, or a TCI)
Cam/heads, springs, pushrods, the whole 9 yards.

Now lets get this installed.

How much is left, out of that $10k ?
12 bolt or 9": $2,500
Full exhaust: $1,000
Converter/shift kit/cooler/gauge: $1,500 (should be plenty)
Heads/cam/tune:~$3,000 (many variables)
Lid, CAI, drag radials, SFC, ported TB, LS6 intake (if applicable), other bolt-ons and misc: $1,500

Total: $9,500.

I feel I used realistic prices, unlike when some people total things up. How does that look? And in all fairness, if you got an automatic (as evident by listing the converter) you shouldn't need a new rear end. If you had a manual, however, you should need clutch and rear end. (cheaper than what is listed)

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 05-03-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

I plan on building on it slow. First thing would be headers/ory/catback/lid, of course. I'd probably be happy with that for a while until I got up the gumption to buy a cam. I don't see really going much farther than that. Plus, I'd like a low mileage car so I can keep it for a while. I run nearly 30k miles a year on my cars.
Just watch out for the mod bug. It'll get ya every time. If you are already saying you'd be happy with that till you felt like a cam....give it six months max.

30,000 miles a year? Yeah, I'd probably prefer a lower mileage car too. If a lot of those are easy miles (ie highway) and you take good care of it you should have no problem having it last a long time. The full exhaust plus lid shouldn't run much more than $1k max. I'd also recommend some subframe connectors.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, actually I had just mentioned the performance mods there. SFC, LCA's, sway bars, and all the necessary suspension pieces are definately on my list too!

I love seeing an LS1 that doesn't merely turn....it just changes heading
Old 05-03-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
12 bolt or 9": $2,500
Converter/shift kit/cooler/gauge: $1,500 (should be plenty)
Heads/cam/tune:~$3,000 (many variables)
Lid, CAI, drag radials, SFC, ported TB, LS6 intake (if applicable), other bolt-ons and misc: $1,500

Total: $9,500.

I feel I used realisted prices, unlike when some people total things up. How does that look? And in all fairness, if you got an automatic (as evident by listing the converter) you shouldn't need a new rear end. If you had a manual, however, you should need clutch and rear end. (cheaper than what is listed)
The prices are exactly what I came up with.
Rearend never hurts, even with an automatic, I've seen them snap
But, if it'll make you feel better: replace the rearend with a built 4l60e. No price difference, really

It's just that I wouldn't really call this "a lot", that is all. That in my opinion, is just a moded a car (although moded very nicely).

However, he will put this on a high mileage car? Call me paranoid - but there is *so* much little crap that can go bad on a high mileage car. Window motors. Alternator. Water pump. Oil Pump. Hell, I can sit here and list things that went out on me, in a 70-80k mile car (although not a fbody) all day long

If he'll spend the $10k he had extra on the mods that you and I agreed on... he won't have any money left for the repairs that he, in all likelyhood, will need on a high mileage car.

Just my 2 cents
Old 05-03-2005, 12:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by firechicken2k
The prices are exactly what I came up with.
Rearend never hurts, even with an automatic, I've seen them snap
But, if it'll make you feel better: replace the rearend with a built 4l60e. No price difference, really

It's just that I wouldn't really call this "a lot", that is all. That in my opinion, is just a moded a car (although moded very nicely).

However, he will put this on a high mileage car? Call me paranoid - but there is *so* much little crap that can go bad on a high mileage car. Window motors. Alternator. Water pump. Oil Pump. Hell, I can sit here and list things that went out on me, in a 70-80k mile car (although not a fbody) all day long

If he'll spend the $10k he had extra on the mods that you and I agreed on... he won't have any money left for the repairs that he, in all likelyhood, will need on a high mileage car.

Just my 2 cents
I see your point. I didn't think I was going to go through that money so fast. That's how it always goes. You could always go:
Bolt-ons and misc: $2,000 (nice big catch all category)
Cam/tune: $1,500
Converter swap: $1,500 (or badass clutch/flywheel if M6)

Total $5,000. That happens to be about $500 more than I have spent on performance mods to date. Just skip the heads, and no need for built tranny and rear end if you aren't going to be dragging it.

Then you'd have several thousand dollars left over.

Toasty: If you choose to spend the money on a new, *low* mileage car with minimal mods I won't hold it against you.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its almost all highway miles. I do alot of driving between Maryland and Florida, and once I get on active duty USAF I'm sure I'll be doing more cross country driving. I have a Grand Am right now, so I know about all the GM quirks...from window motors to head units.

I'll be going with an M6 with the Z06 clutch hopefully, and yes I plan on doing some drag racing. With the stock 10-bolt I'll have to baby it a little bit...maybe someday go with the Moser 12. I just want a solid 12-second daily driver, is that so much to ask?

Although you're probably right...after 6 months I'll be saying "I just want a solid 11-second daily driver" ad nauseam.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Although you're probably right...after 6 months I'll be saying "I just want a solid 11-second daily driver" ad nauseam.