Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

300 rpm idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300 rpm idle

so i just changed my spark plugs about 5 days ago. been running fine without any problems. suddenly, today i leave from a store and the thing idles at 300 rpms for about a full minute, then dies. i start it back up and it's fine. i came home and checked all the plug wires to make certain they were firmly pressed into all the coil packs, and they looked fine.

cylinder #1 wire had no spring at the end of it, but all the others had a spring. it's never had a spring on it though, so i just put it back on, assuming i didn't need it all that much if i've never had it. if you watch the engine while it runs also it shakes every 10 seconds or so...i don't know if that's a misfire or if that's just what these engines do. it doesn't seem to be abnormal, but i'm just trying to figure out why the hell it did this today.

i also deleted air and egr the other day when i changed the plugs, but have since already had my codes accociated with air and egr deleted as well. anyone have any idea why it would idle at 300 and die? should i expect it to happen again, or could it have been a one-time deal?
Old 05-04-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maf could be bad...it could be running in speed density...i know that is how my car ran when i didn't have the maf plugged in...
Old 05-04-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 777
maf could be bad...it could be running in speed density...i know that is how my car ran when i didn't have the maf plugged in...
would it throw a code? i'm going to see what a-zones scanner will pick up, if anything...

i would almost bet, unless my luck is absolutely horrible, that this has something to do with a recent change i've made to my car - probably the spark plugs, but i just don't know. what does "running in speed density" mean? how can i fix this?
Old 05-04-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

speed density is your wot a/f tables...so if you took your maf off...or unplugged it...or if it didn't work...you would run in speed density...i imagine it would throw a code though...mine had codes from !egr, !air, !cats, and my cam so i already had the ses light on...the reason my maf wasn't working is because my fuse blew because of an electrical short...so you might want to check your fuses
Old 05-04-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah. another thing, we used hptuners to turn CAGS off. basically, we set the TPS to 0% and the minimal engine temp to 250. i don't know if that would have any affect on this at all.

what if it isn't the fuse, does it sound like it could be a wire plugged in only half way?
Old 05-04-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

maybe...i'm not to good with electrical stuff...maybe someone else will chime in...it could be something to do with the tps set at 0% but i'm not sure
Old 05-04-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, i was thinking that's a possibility. there is a fuse under the hood called "etc 10" and i don't have any fuse there. i'm wondering if there is actually supposed to be a fuse there or not. otherwise, all the fuses looked good. i checked the MAF, it is clean as a whistle, and all the connections are good.

i checked and apparently the tps at 0% isn't it because i've heard other people have disabled CAGS this way. there has to be some reason my car did this, even if it only did it once. do you think having a wire not plugged in all the way could cause this? this is the only weird thing it's done since the plugs were changed though, and i even did a couple of WOT runs that felt great.

Last edited by tuffluck; 05-04-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Teching In

mine did that one day. idle dropped so low that when i pushed in clutch, engine would cut off. then i let the car sit for a bit and hasnt done it in about a year.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by clemsonSOM_TA
mine did that one day. idle dropped so low that when i pushed in clutch, engine would cut off. then i let the car sit for a bit and hasnt done it in about a year.
weird. had you done anything to your car just prior to that happening?
Old 05-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tuffluck
weird. had you done anything to your car just prior to that happening?
nope, completely stock. it only happened that once. has never showed even a sign of it since. i know this doesnt help figure out why, but seems like mine's been fine since, so hopefully yours is too
Old 05-04-2005, 04:51 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tuffluck
yeah, i was thinking that's a possibility. there is a fuse under the hood called "etc 10" and i don't have any fuse there. i'm wondering if there is actually supposed to be a fuse there or not.
The fuse labelled 'ETC' is for Electronic Throttle Control, and is only used on V6 models. So yours being a V8, shouldn't need a fuse there.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, i hope so. i only had to have this happen immediately after doing quite a bit of tune-up work, so i guess we'll see if it happens again. if it does, i'll go get a code read. thanks for the help.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

my bet is bad MAF for sure
Old 05-07-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was the car abnormally hot for any reason??? Had you been driving it hard then turned it off then back on. Maybe some sensors got messed up when the car was hot, sat long enough for the computer to "think" it needed to warm up again. That is my guess. If the car wasn't hot, then I don't know.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

My 02 TA did that the other day. It rained and I left the passenger window part way down so the door switches got soaked. Car wouldnt turn on, jumped it and it would idle at about 300. Drove home very carefully not letting it die. I turned it off, then immediately turned it back on again and everything was back to normal.