Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dont know what to get.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont know what to get.

Long story short im looking for a weekend street/track car, and dont know what to get. I can afford just about any car except for stupid expensive stuff like a Ferrari. The main thing im worried about is ive never driven a fast car before or a manual, just lots of automatic everyday cars. I dont want to end up like the people who go sideways into a pole because there not used to lots of power at the rear wheels.

Alot of people i know have been sayin its easy to get the hang of as long as you have an IQ higher then a peice of fruit.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How much money are you looking to spend? The vette would be my first choice if I had the money. You could also get a f body and use the money saved on the vette for mods.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you wanted a pure strip car I'd say go with an automatic as that will provide the most consistant times. For a street car I'd say you want a stick as they are much more fun in my opionion. If you wanted to use this car as your daily driver I'd say go automatic if you drive in any type of urban setting. Going from light to light with a stick is a PITA to me. I have a manual but it is not my daily driver and has never been to the track.

As far as what vehicle I think you're going to get a lot of "Get an F-body" or "Get a Vette" on this forum. Not too many folks are going to suggest a mustang here. I've had both and short of an 03 or 04 Cobra the LS1 will kick a Mustang GT's *** time and time again considering the driver does not have an IQ of 50 and the GT has not had a blower added or a serious engine work done. Even then put the same amount of money into an LS1 that you put into a Mustang and most times the LS1 will still win. All that said I still prefered the Mustang from a fit and finish standpoint and just overall longevity of the engine drivetrain etc. For pure power though get the LS1.

These are just my personal opinions so please put the flame throwers down guys
Old 03-21-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

ehh ive been riding my cars sideways sense i was 14 hehe, easieest way to learn so u dont wrap it around a pole is take a crappy rwd car or a truck and go to a empty parking lot in the snow and do donuts and try and learn to hold it sideways and control it eventually it becomes second nature and u could drive sideways for hours and never even flinch, my friends back in highschool always were like how the hell do u do that and id be driving home sideways in the snow in my monte SS lol and go for an fbody or a vette i love the trans am there sweet
Old 03-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Teching In

well i want to get either a C5 Zo6 or a 04 Cobra, but idk since ive never drove a stick before, or a car with more then 200hp.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want a track car I'd get a stripper Z28 auto. You could make that car a beast on the track. If you want a street car get a Z06 M6 and mod it for the street. It'll be a great looking car and it'll be dang fast with some modding. I would love to be able to do either one of those.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Well, my auto is very fast and consisten, i beat MANY M6s all the time, doesnt matter if u have either, just matter how much hp/tq you got and tires. If i could do it over agian. Id get the wrx sti ( i think) 300hp and do engine work to it with a shot of nitrous. Thats just me.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

go with the c6 zo6 or the c5 zo6. If you really do have the money i'd shoot for the c6 just because they are monsters
Old 03-21-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are really unsure and worried but willing to learn and stick with cars.

I would say pick up an LT1 car with an auto get to know people and have them teach you learn from them and in a while you can sell or mod it as your ready to have a faster car.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Looking to spend 70 grand? Pick up a brand new c6 zo6. Nothing like a new car. The cars got crazy power, and will keep you intertained for ever.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:58 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My .02. The C6 Z06 is the best sport car value in the world. Addressing the manual issue; it is not rocket science or an Olympic athletic event. Addressing the power issue; do not drive like an idiot.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

I say shop around and research what YOU like. This board is obviously going to be biased towards the LS1 powered vehicles (nothing wrong with that), but in the end it all comes down to what you like, since you are the one driving it. If this is going to be a weekend or strip car you don't have to worry much about going sideways, when you start driving in the snow then it becomes more of an issue. That being said just remember to respect the HP-especially on turns-and you should be fine.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

what exactly is the deal with the rwd cars and going sideways. I watch alot of videos on street fire or ls1 tech and seen a few where a person floors there mustang / camaro or w/e and then goes sideways into a group of people or another lane. Although it boggles my mind as to why these people didnt hit the breaks or steer back onto the road. They were going no faster then 20mph