Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my car was in an accident?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car was in an accident?

apparently thats what a few car people who have seen my car think so.
why?:
1. they think my whole cars paint job is flawless and new looking.1998t/a
2. the front bumper has more of a clear coat than the rest of the body
3. under the hood where the screws hold the bumper (you know those 2 rubber things?) there are two extra screws
4. i did notice this my self and others have pointed this out: the driver side hood area seems to stick out slightly more than the passenger side. the driver side has more of a wide gap between the hood and the driverside side bumber.
5. when i shut my driverside door, it doesnt sound like a well working door being shut.
6. the passenger side door use to squeak (when i first purchased her) then i put some dw-40 on her and she hushed up.

what do u guys think? the dealership never told me she was in an accident. carfax never told me she was in an accident.

also, when i purchased my car, the license plate cover wasnt included. i had to have the original owner mail it to me. when i got it in the mail, i noticed on the back of the cover it had a sticker stating the color of the car (primer red or something). also: the bumper did not have the holes to screw the plate cover in. it had a half *** hole. but it wasnt deep enough to be a hole.

is there anyway you guys can see if my car has been in an accident? my vin is 2G2FV22G6W2233264. price was $8,900 on 48,400mi 98t/a

may the force be with you, but mostly with me
Old 01-26-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Run a carfax on it, or check if anyone bought an unlimited carfax-check thing for a few months, sometimes people do that and they will be able to run it for you and it should tell you if the car was in an accident. Good idea to do this before buying too but too late I guess...
Old 01-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Launching!

i do have the car fax report on it and it is one of the cleanest car fax reports i have ever seen...
Old 01-26-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

if the car was in an crash and the owner got it repeared by a nondealer or some small shop it might not show on a carfax
Old 01-26-2007, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

no man ur car is fine.. i have almost every thing u mentioned. The hood is a bit 'sticking up' on the drivers side...yes sometimes the passenger door closes weird and yes i also had squeaks and put wd-40 and it went away..I dont think it was in an accident..
Old 01-26-2007, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe that carfax reports only show if there was an accident involving more than 25% damage to the vehicle...or something like that. It could be that there wasn't enough damage to show up on the report. Also, if someone decided to pay out-of-pocket instead of contacting their insurance company, then it wouldn't show up. My car has a clean carfax report, but it's got a few flaws to it that definately point to it having been in an accident.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Old 01-27-2007, 09:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it also depends on what your definition of an accident is. Maybe the front bumper got scuffed up or had alot of chips, and they put on a new one on when they repainted the car? Just a thought.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think mines been in an accident before. Although Ive had a few things that some TLC took care of, theres a slight gap from my pass. headlight thats slightly larger than my driver side. The other night I was trying to align it in the shop and some guy that was waiting on his car told me that he has seen this prob. in a bunch of 98+ birds and that its from the factory. I find it hard to believe though. Carfax should give you a good idea of your vehicles history.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:45 AM
Launching!

believe it or not, like i said - CLEANEST CAR FAX ON A CAR THAT I"VE EVER SEEN! but you know what alotta people on this thread are sharing thier cars "missaligned" "unbalanced imperfections as well, its the factory and we all know that these cars are not neccesarilly cheaply made, but you know....
Old 01-28-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

My old 94 T/A was in an accident and I went through my insurance and had one of my insurance companies autobody shop repair it. The cost was over $4,000 and about two years later when I was selling it people were running Carfax's on it and it came up clean and said it was never wrecked or in one accident. So Carfax isn't 100% accurate.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Teching In

As a dealer I can tell you that carfax is the best money making scheme ever. It isn't necessarily useless, but the consumer comes away with a false sense of security. I always run title checks through a title company (aka a dealers way of not paying for a carfax but getting the same info) however, when we sell a car dealer to dealer, most opt for what is called arbitration.

The auction house puts the car through a rigorous and sometimes completely overboard arbitration. This would be, paint depth scans, suspension angles, the whole bit. Gap checks, compression, they even get to reneg on their bidding price if they don't like a noise or whine in any part of the car.

The point I'm trying to make, is everyone is right that stated the loopholes and gaps of avoiding car fax detection. Fitment, orange peel paint, especially thicker clear coating, are the single best ways to find out if the car is as original and body work free as the owner says. To me, your car sounds like it had a mild run in inside a parking lot or something minor.