Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service vehicle light

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service vehicle light

for some reason, every now and then, after a *very* cold night, i get in my car to go to work in the morning. fire her up, wait for my woody to go down, and then notice all the dash lights go off (like normal), except for the "service vehicle" light. the first time it happened, i let the engine warm up, then drove it over to autozone, thinking maybe they can hook up and give me a code or somethin.

well, i get over to autozone, shut the engine off an walk up to the door and realize they're not open yet, so i walk back, turn the car on, and the light stays off... never came on after that..until just this morning. i drove my car to work, and havent been in it since, so im about to go start her up an check it out. but, why does it do that in the first place? all my fluids are fine...engine runs beautifully.

also, while i have a thread started, is it normal for my suspension to be real squeaky? i mean, every little bump causes my springs (i think?) to squeak - speed bumps, little bumps in the road, little children, etc. is that normal?
Old 01-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Teching In

The code could be something dumb like an oxygen sensor. I get the code P0161 which is the passenger rear oxygen sensor. It would turn on once in a while on cold days then switch off after a trip or two. Pain in the butt.

I've noticed my suspension is somewhat noisy as well. Usually when the body is flexed in some way though. I'm thinking sub frame connectors will help a bit with that though.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you still have the air pump hooked up?
Old 01-26-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

my air pump? i'd assume so - im under the impression i bought the car completely stock, and the only thing i've changed was descreening the MAF (very first mod - felt like a mechanic afterwards).

so this code culd be a simple trip in the wire from my o2 sensor? i take it its not somethin to really worry bout, since it goes off once the temp comes up a lil bit.

thanks for the replies!
Old 01-26-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Veteran

yea dude my suspension squeaks a lot as well, quite annoying
Old 01-27-2007, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

well i dont see the code you have, but its possible that your air pump isnt functioning properly therefore, the cats and o2's are being screwed with when the car starts up....when the car heats up the air pump goes off anyway and then your ses light goes away
Old 01-27-2007, 03:38 AM
Banned

SES light solid is triggered by an emission related problem.

SES blinking is due to a mis-fire code.

I read my owners manual one day and it helped!
Old 01-27-2007, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Which light? Service engin soon, or service vehicle? SES light and you can pull codes. Service vehicle has something to do with servicing the vehicle I believe. I'd have to read the owners manual again. I've seen that light come on when turning off my COT tables in the pcm to tune my VE tables. With the tuning software (HPT) I have I can't turn that light off or pull any codes for it. I'm not sure what controls that light,PCM, BCM? IF that is the light you are getting (SV) I'd call the dealer and ask. Make sure they know it's the SV and not SES light. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea, i know for a fact that its the service VEHICLE light...thats wut threw me off, since i expected it to be the SES light. i looked in the book and, if i remember right, it pretty much just says to get it checked out asap by a professional mechanic. no hints or suggestions as to wut it may be.

though, im inclined to believe staring and elevario - a minor air pump issue that goes away once the engine/ambient temperature warms up a bit. i got back in my car yesterday after work an it didnt come on. so, its the exact same story as the first time it happened. as of right now, i honestly dont believe its an issue i need to really worry about tho..unless it culd lead to somethin more dangerous?

as for the suspension - is there a way to make it stop squeakin so much? wd-40? silicone? pudding? gets annoying from time to time..
Old 01-27-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

just go get some new parts....its your stock bushings that arent worth crap anyway....most of the aftermarket stuff comes with grease fittings...
Old 01-27-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by staringback05
just go get some new parts....its your stock bushings that arent worth crap anyway....most of the aftermarket stuff comes with grease fittings...
i put polyurethane bushings around the whole bottom-side.. they've been on there since.............may, i think? but ive heard that aftermarket bushings are generally very noisy anyhow. i guess it takes them a while to get to that point? or just when they're really cold? arrrrrrgh... i dunno i wanna go kick a civic right in its taillight.. maybe that'll help
Old 01-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Get the code scanned.

Its most-likely the heater circuit in one of the O2s. The O2s on the 4th gen f-body have built in heaters to get them up to operating temperature quickly. On a really cold day, if the heater isnt working properly or cant heat up the sensor fast enough in the cold weather, the SES light will come on with the applicable code. This happened once to my Formula a few years ago.

With all this speculation....get the code scanned. There is no way to know what the problem is otherwise.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

so even if its a service vehicle light, it'll still throw a code that can be picked up by any auto-shop (i.e. autozone, pep boys, etc.) ?

and just to clarify, itst he SERVICE VEHICLE LIGHT... NOT the service engine light.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a service vehicle light will not have a code associated with it.

generaly the SVS light is brake related.

could be as simple as having low brake fluid.

my .02
Old 01-28-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Service vehicle light is completely different from the SES light. Don't think places like auto zone can read them? Could be something as simple as a brake light out, etc.

Quick Reply: service vehicle light