Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New car and not sure how to spend my money

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car and not sure how to spend my money

Hey guys just got a 99 trans am with 97,xxx miles. i've had the belts, plugs, and wires changed and everything else seems to be in working order. but with this many miles should i be concerned with any more maintnance or do you think it's possible to start with some aftermarket parts (exhaust, intake...) Either way names of quality products would be very much appreciated, especially a cat-back exhaust if anyone has a favorite...

thanks alot
Old 01-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

99 trans am
blue green cameleon
hurst equipped
volant air kit(need to be changed)
flowtech catback(need to be changed)
Old 01-30-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

How much money are you looking to spend?

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the dark side
Old 01-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Banned

I would change all the fluids, coolant, diff, trans, oil, just to be sure.

You want to start modding by making the ls1 breathe, which means induction and exhaust. See the Mod guide sticky in the External Forum:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/520845-mod-guide-induction-exhaust-please-read-before-posting.html

First thing you want to get is a lid. All of them are about the same, people say SLP makes a better quality component.

A really good all around catback is a Magnaflow catback. It's inexpensive, and stainless steel. Sounds great with all sorts of combinations.

Do some research on long tube headers. Kooks and QTPs are good high dollar stainless steel headers, and Coated Pacesetters are a great budget header.

You can pick up a used ls6 intake manifold from the for sale section for right around $300. It's the best value out there for intake upgrades. Same with a stock ported Throttle body, right around $100, from one of many of the sponsers.

Let us know if you have specific questions!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do all the general maintenance first, if you already haven't. Then read over jrp's guide and search throughout the site for parts that fit your goals and budget. Exhaust and intake are usually the first thing people go with. Then headers and so on. It is also a good idea to work on the suspension before any other major upgrades. Goodluck and read before you buy!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Do a seach for a guide on the seafoam cleaning treatment. I know a lot of guys who have had great results after doing this to their high mileage cars.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by birdman88
volant air kit(need to be changed)
flowtech catback(need to be changed)
What for? I can see it if those parts are damaged in someway or another but if they're good, don't spend the dollars if you don't have to. I would be sure the car was ready for go fast stuff before I bought the go fast stuff. It reads like you've bought yourself a pretty nice car so I would start with a solid foundation of making sure everything that would normally not be thought about would be replaced or at least looked at by someone that knows what they're looking at. You know, like Brakes, U-joints, Front wheel bearings, Ball joints, Rear axle bearings, Rear main seal, Tie rods, Compression test, clutch and related transmission parts (if it's a stick) and so on.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and do pacesetter coated Longtubes with ory and a cutout as a first mod. If you really want a new catback after that then look for a used slp dual/dual, hooker, or magnaflow.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

FIRST THING TO DO....after maintenance.........

FIGURE OUT WHAT YOUR PLANS ARE FOR THE CAR!!!!

That way you can plan first and mod second.

Some of the suggestions are great, but Pacesetters are not the best header. Magnaflow is not the optimal exhaust. A LS6 intake is not necessarily the best choice...........all these things and other products could vary depending on what you want to do with the car in terms of mods and performance.

Definitely read Jrp's write up, but get an idea about the direction you want to go. Choose wisely, and try not to do things twice.

Hope this helps, and makes sense as well
Old 01-31-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike#9
FIRST THING TO DO....after maintenance.........

FIGURE OUT WHAT YOUR PLANS ARE FOR THE CAR!!!!

That way you can plan first and mod second.

Some of the suggestions are great, but Pacesetters are not the best header. Magnaflow is not the optimal exhaust. A LS6 intake is not necessarily the best choice...........all these things and other products could vary depending on what you want to do with the car in terms of mods and performance.

Definitely read Jrp's write up, but get an idea about the direction you want to go. Choose wisely, and try not to do things twice.

Hope this helps, and makes sense as well

I agree with most of it except that people never know what their final plans with the car are going to be. Sure pacesetter headers/ory/cut-out/magnaflow isnt the optimal setup, but its a start in the mdoding process. Same with the ls6 intake, a fast 90/90 MIGHT be in the future, but again who goes into modding with a final plan? Im sure most of the heavily modded car owners here, when they first got their lsx powered vehicles, didnt think they would go as far as they have gone so although its nice to have a plan, plans do change so I was basically listing a few starting mods to look at. If he knows he wants to go FI, huge cam, large CI engine, max n/a effort, etc then by all means the mods above arent the optimal choice, but they are a start in the addicition known as modding haha
Old 01-31-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
I agree with most of it except that people never know what their final plans with the car are going to be. Sure pacesetter headers/ory/cut-out/magnaflow isnt the optimal setup, but its a start in the mdoding process. Same with the ls6 intake, a fast 90/90 MIGHT be in the future, but again who goes into modding with a final plan? Im sure most of the heavily modded car owners here, when they first got their lsx powered vehicles, didnt think they would go as far as they have gone so although its nice to have a plan, plans do change so I was basically listing a few starting mods to look at. If he knows he wants to go FI, huge cam, large CI engine, max n/a effort, etc then by all means the mods above arent the optimal choice, but they are a start in the addicition known as modding haha

Oh definitely.....I know you were just giving suggestions. And I think they were probably about dead on for a basic bolt on car.

All I was saying is that maybe if he has plans on h/c....or cam and spray or something like that......then maybe look at other mods that may not be optimal for bolt ons, but will be the best choice for when he does some serious power adding.

He difinitely made the most important mod that a lot of people fail to do.....and really suffer the consequences..............he was smart enough to buy a ls1!!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

All i have to say is change your shocks out unless they are new shocks if they are the original de carbons change them out with hd bilstiens or springs and revalved strano bilstiens. You wont believe how much better your car will drive. and also do the seafoam treatment. After that pacesetter long tubes. and enjoy the car.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

hey you guys are great thanks alot for all the advise and thanks for taking the time out to help me all of your suggestions will definately be considered, and let me know if if you have any other adivse or suggestions of any kind thanks

birdman
Old 02-01-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

really it dpends on you, if yu want it to be faster buy some bolt-ons etc., if you want to make the appearence look better than go with that. Im doing appearence right now becasue at this moment it's fast enough...but not soon. Im going with the chrome black look. Black car, black calipers, smoked corners, whistler mod. And than chrome ZR1's, chrome caliper decals, chrome CAMARO berger insert, and chrome SS badges