Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search down... Advise Please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Search down... Advise Please.

Well guys... of course it happened.. Went to the track last week, and I am hooked. I wanna go faster now, but not go crazy. First and foremost, I cannot dedicate the Trans Am as a drag car. It is still my daily driver and still just enjoy cruising around.

Please go easy on me, I am still reading up on LS1 tech. Anyways, the car went 13.89 at 101 (A4 '02 WS.6). I have read the stickies at the top of the page. But I need a little advise as to which direction to head. Would just a lid, exhaust, headers work for me and call it a day. If so what combo would be best suited for me. I guess it would be cool to get into the 12s. I know anything more than that would require alot more work.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have a modest and realistic goal!. ... We can recomend just about any combo.,.....real question is,....whats your budget go'n to allow?!
Old 03-13-2007, 02:16 AM
On The Tree

Well, it is tax return season and graduation time. So I am thinking b/w 1500-2000 clams.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:26 AM
TECH Addict

I'd go to www.ls1sounds.com and listen to some different exhaust notes. That will give you a better idea of what exhaust note tickels your pickle. You can search prices after that. anywhere from a 320-1,500 for the LTs....Cat backs are usually 300-900. Gotta make a choice between ORY or Catted Y-pipe. Your gonna want to think long and hard about that one depending on where you live. If its a DD,.and you live in CA., with the smog ****'s then GET THE CATS!!

All lids are just about the same. SLP's is like a 100!

If and when you find your combo,...I'd also check out the "For Sale" and "Sponser Specials" sections before you pick up the phone and start ordering!
Old 03-13-2007, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
I'd go to www.ls1sounds.com and listen to some different exhaust notes. That will give you a better idea of what exhaust note tickels your pickle. You can search prices after that. anywhere from a 320-1,500 for the LTs....Cat backs are usually 300-900. Gotta make a choice between ORY or Catted Y-pipe. Your gonna want to think long and hard about that one depending on where you live. If its a DD,.and you live in CA., with the smog ****'s then GET THE CATS!!

All lids are just about the same. SLP's is like a 100!

If and when you find your combo,...I'd also check out the "For Sale" and "Sponser Specials" sections before you pick up the phone and start ordering!
Thanks for your reply. I live in TN and dont have to worry about emissions (probably will never live in CA).

I think I really like the GMMG exhaust setup. I have listened to those and like them alot. As of now, I am leaning towards that exhaust.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:10 AM
TECH Addict

GMMG is like the LoudMouth,.....LOUD!!!

Get er done!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 03:15 AM
On The Tree

Hahaha.... I hope to in the near future. I want to take the car back out to the track one more time when it is stock.

What would you recommend for the LT and ORY? And when it is all said and done... with a new lid, the LTs, ORY and GMMG... what am i looking at? Low 13s, high 12s?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:42 AM
TECH Addict

Its up to you,.....Whats your budget like for the headers?

Mine cost me 1,400 but they're SLPs w/ catted y.... They're considered the most expensive. But Pacesetters are by far the cheapest and most common among the Techers on here.... No real serious complaints on those. Just get the coated version tho if you get them. something like 350-400 for em (not including the Y-pipe)
Old 03-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

SLP has some packages available you might want to look at. Their website is http://www.slponline.com/
Old 03-13-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

slp is expensive I'd look else where.

With an auto you want to look at getting a stall. Somewhere around 2800-3500rpm would be my advice.

If you think you'll see quite a bit of track work then some decent tyres, i.e. drag radials will match up great. These two mods should really drop your ET, although it won't affect you trap speed much.

lid and exhaust are a good idea.

SLP or TSP lids are good value and usually fit well. Any good catback will help and make it sound nice, stay clear of the Flowmaster American Thunder system, it doesn't flow great.

Headers - you want LT's for power nothing less. Pacesetter and Edlebrock make some nice ones if you want stainless, Edlebrock, QTP or Kooks.

Port your own TB (see sig) for free or can be done for $75

Adding a 100 shot of nitrous is also quite feasible.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
slp is expensive I'd look else where.

With an auto you want to look at getting a stall. Somewhere around 2800-3500rpm would be my advice.

If you think you'll see quite a bit of track work then some decent tyres, i.e. drag radials will match up great. These two mods should really drop your ET, although it won't affect you trap speed much.

lid and exhaust are a good idea.

SLP or TSP lids are good value and usually fit well. Any good catback will help and make it sound nice, stay clear of the Flowmaster American Thunder system, it doesn't flow great.

Headers - you want LT's for power nothing less. Pacesetter and Edlebrock make some nice ones if you want stainless, Edlebrock, QTP or Kooks.

Port your own TB (see sig) for free or can be done for $75

Adding a 100 shot of nitrous is also quite feasible.
All good ideas but the guys on a budget. Thats why headers, cat back exhaust and lid are good ideas for the time being just to start with.

The P/P TB mod is a good one tho. I forgot to mention any of the free mods.

Do a Free Mod search!
Old 03-13-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
GMMG is like the LoudMouth,.....LOUD!!!

Get er done!!!

yes it is i do believe it sounds better tho