New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air filter question paper vs. K&N...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Air filter question paper vs. K&N...

My car currently has the factory lid, but an aftermarket K&N air filter. I plan on stepping up to a SLP whisper lid soon. Should I keep the K&N and use it in the new lid? Or will this actually hurt my HP, and would I be better off power wise to get a stock paper one to go in the new lid?
Old 03-26-2007, 07:11 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use the K&N.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Use the K&N but make sure you have it sealed up nice to the new lid with some weather stripping and you'll be all set.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

This is what I figured as well. However earlier when I posted questions in the newbie section, several chimed in that they actaully saw HP losses when swapping the paper filter to the K&N?! And furthermore that they all said to stay with the paper air filter.

With this kind of back and forth info, its hard for someone trying to learn the facts here.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

K&N is better by far. The paper ones you have to keep replacing.. and K&N you never have to change.. Ya there a little more but very much worth it
Old 03-26-2007, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Intense
K&N is better by far. The paper ones you have to keep replacing.. and K&N you never have to change.. Ya there a little more but very much worth it
true, but watch oiling the filter, that filter oil tends to get sucked down into the MAF and make it **** itself.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you make sure it is tightly secured you will be fine... But if it doesnt fit around the lid you have then you might have a problem and then the K&N will screw you over
Old 03-26-2007, 08:59 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

K&N flows more, less of a filter there, hence the gasket.

I hose mine down with oil on both sides where it is dripping all over the place, just slapped it in my T/A last week and no problems.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

The paper ones I got fit like crap, I was always wondering if I was letting unfiltered air through. Sometimes the fins in the paper ones would get bunched up, I'm betting that wasn't giving me extra HP. I'd stick with the K&N, even if you were losing power, I don't think you could accurately account for it on a dyno (way too small a number), so IMHO whoever told you that is full of Bolgna. As people said, don't over lube it.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

the k&n's fit better but dont filter as good, i like the added protection the paper ones provide
Old 03-26-2007, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

My car came with a K&N so I kept it. Personally I'd never spend that money on an air filter but thats just in general(I'm a tight-*** on some things). Actually, if you do the math, long term, the K&N filter cost more.

I'll just use typical AutoZone prices right off their website.

The K&N Filter is $65 plus tax. The typical paper is a little over $7. That alone is 9 paper filters to one K&N. Not to mention, the K&N needs to be cleaned say every 15k which you might as well add another say $15 per kit to to the list. The cleaning kit generally only last 3 times in my experience although I'm pretty thorough. In 9 filters that would add 3 cleaning kits at $45 on top of the $65.

K&N=$110
compared to 9 paper at
$65

Not trying to start anything. I know nothing about fitment of the two. With all that being said I'm happy with my K&N and will continue to use it. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Kyle
Old 03-26-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use k+n, if your unsure about which one just run a big poll and get everyones opinion and go from there.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using oiled, gauze type filters for yrs with zero issues.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pizza King
My car came with a K&N so I kept it. Personally I'd never spend that money on an air filter but thats just in general(I'm a tight-*** on some things). Actually, if you do the math, long term, the K&N filter cost more.

I'll just use typical AutoZone prices right off their website.

The K&N Filter is $65 plus tax. The typical paper is a little over $7. That alone is 9 paper filters to one K&N. Not to mention, the K&N needs to be cleaned say every 15k which you might as well add another say $15 per kit to to the list. The cleaning kit generally only last 3 times in my experience although I'm pretty thorough. In 9 filters that would add 3 cleaning kits at $45 on top of the $65.

K&N=$110
compared to 9 paper at
$65

Not trying to start anything. I know nothing about fitment of the two. With all that being said I'm happy with my K&N and will continue to use it. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Kyle
I got my K&N For $55 with the cleaning Kit... and cleaning it super easy. Ya it costs more but it is a better filter.

Its your choice.. But i will say 95% of people will go with a K&N or other top brand over a paper one
Old 03-27-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Here's the thread in which people were reccomending the paper filter over the K&N>

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/673322-whisper-lid-question.html
Old 03-27-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a wix but used it for a while, then got a K&N and now use a holley becuase it fits better.

I think most people used one without issues. I have a lt1 with 165k on it K&N and never no issues.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a pretty good oil analysis with a K&N air filter. It kept the dirt out well enough.

I tossed it, however, and have gone back to the paper type. I'm not racing for money, I don't have to squeeze out every last particle of horsepower, and I had run out of cleaner/oil and didn't feel like keeping it up.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other...
Old 03-27-2007, 08:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oil that leaves the filter will over time crust up the
MAF. This drifts the tune and can bother automatic
trans shifting as well as A/F mixture. Using the bare
minimum is better. If you go this way you should be
cleaning the MAF with a spray electrical cleaner
as part of the maintenance drill.

I measured air filter pressure drops one time long ago
(no K&N) and the drops were less than half, most 1/3
- 1/4 of what a stock lid or MAF screen cost you. Not
a big gain. The K&N promo "test data" just happen to
embed a stock : aftermarket lid in the setup to their
favor (see fine print).

The economic argument may look good on paper but
I'd rather spend $5 every 6 months than front the
$50.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

The K&N should actually filter better than the paper one. Just because it isn't as restrictive flow wise doesn't mean it doesn't filter better. Also, K&N reccomends cleaning their filter on average at 50,000 miles (not 15,000). Not to mention their air filters come with 1,000,000 mile warrenties, try to find a paper one or another brand that does that. Even with the cleaning kit, I would expect someone to save money over the paper ones by going with the K&N.

All this is needless for me though, because I really just want what will perform the best in my car. It sounds like the K&N even though it won't gain much over the paper one, will still gain some, and that is good enough for me.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

The wix filter I got(one of the beter paper ones) was like 11-13 bucks. So it could add up.