Sponsored by:

Header install SUCKED! Kinda long sorry

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header install SUCKED! Kinda long sorry

Pacesetter headers+ORY Started at 8:30 finished at 6:30

Drivers side was cake, old stuff came off easy new stuff went on fine. The first header bolt isnt in all the way proably got 2 tuns left on but I cant get it to go down anymore. All the rest of the bolts are all the way down and spark plugs and wires are good. And it looks like the seal is good from front to back.

Passenger side OMFG!
Everything came out fine new went in ok. There is one bolt in the center that I cant get to go all the way down its about a little more than half way in. And that sucker aint goin all the way no matter what I try. But all the rest are good and looks like a good seal from front to back even though that one bolt refuses to go in. Spark plugs were a pain but there in and so are the wires.

02 extensions are tied back and secure, rear 02's are deleted.

Y-Pipe is bangin like crazy when I give it gas hard, and I think my band clamps are not sealin right cause I think I hear the drivers side leakin a little were the collector meets the Y-pipe.

So is that bolt on the drivers side ok if its not down all the way?
Is that bolt on the passenger side ok if its not down al the way?
How do I seal those leaks were all the connetions were made?
Im thinkin about takin it to a muffler shop and having them weld the connections so they wont leak. And will they have a fix for that bangin Y?

Im really discouraged over this header install and im pissed off cause it diddnt go as well as I thought. I really dont wanna take all that stuff off again so if you have any advise please share.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:33 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like you just went though the same thing as me... except i think my situation might be worse...for the holes the bolts wont thread into, i would suggest removing the bolts and inspecting the thread with a mirror and flashlight from wherever is easiest, and try a tap to clean up the threads inside... this is what i have to do tomorrow. Are you sure that the leak isnt occuring at the block?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/removed-locked-thread-graveyard/699281-xs-ebay-race-style-headers-y-pipe-arrived.html
Old 04-22-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well this morning i removed the band clamps and used the C-clamps pacesetter sent me and it actually sounds better under the car. Now the only noise I hear under the hood is kinda like a ticking on the drivers side rear of the header. Maybe a plug not in all the way? And im going to the muffler shop tommarow to see if he has a better way of sealing the connections and see what he can do about the banging from the Y. Im pretty sure both sides are sealed up good. The passenger side with the motor running has no noise what so ever, the drivers side just has that faint tickin near the rear. ( A muffler shop wil work on my car even though there arent any cats right?)
Old 04-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a ticking sound coming from the headers is an exhaust leak. your gasket isn't sealing correctly. did you get a set of GM OEM gaskets? they're highly recommended on a header install.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I used felpro gaskets
Old 04-22-2007, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your troubles...I just did a set on a buddies WS6 on Thursday and it took 3 hours from start to finish. Check your threads real good. You don't want to screw up the heads if you can help it.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

good thing you didnt install slp lts,lol you would have really hated it
Old 04-22-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah im goin to get all the connections welded tommarow, and as for that tick sound on the drivers side im lost. If its a bad gasket i guess il try an replace it, until then will a small leak hurt anything?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Scammer Alert!

i am supposed to pick up my 99 formula m6 tonight, my mechanic installed my pacesetters, and he said, lot of fabrication needed, if you read what your buying you will see if your worried about the 02 sensors, unless your going to fabricate them back for use, this isnt the headers you want, on these header the back i beleive 2 o2 sensors are not meant to be used, which i think will ccause your check engine light to come on, not sure if it causes prolems with emissions, you also hae to fabricate your egr, anyone run into this problem like i did?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dont have cats and EGR then you just get the Race version without the provisions for all that.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i installed two pair of SLP longtube headers and it sucked but everything turned out good so can't complain
Old 04-22-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea man the 1st time i hated it but since then ive done 2 more installs and removals and i still hate it lol but its worth it
Old 04-22-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok well I got a few more turns out of 3 of the screws on the drivers side and the ticking is gone, at least for now. Is it normal to have to tighten them up a bit the first few days?
Old 04-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Scammer Alert!

i have the slp exhaust and i should be getting my car back tonight with the pace setter long tubes, what knda sound can i look forward to hearing, i am so excited and cant wait, i am also supposed to be racing my buddy with his new 04 gto, there is no break in period with headers are there?
Old 04-22-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tennz28
Ok well I got a few more turns out of 3 of the screws on the drivers side and the ticking is gone, at least for now. Is it normal to have to tighten them up a bit the first few days?
yep, its normal.

did you use anti-sieze on the bolts? or blue loctite?
Old 04-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Scammer Alert!

you probably know a little something about aluminum heads and know that the last thing you wanna do is strip one of them bolts in there, for gods sake be carefull, i havent came accross that problem though as far as having to tighten the bolts again after a couple days and i have done three of these type jobs
Old 04-22-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ricks99ls1
you probably know a little something about aluminum heads and know that the last thing you wanna do is strip one of them bolts in there, for gods sake be carefull, i havent came accross that problem though as far as having to tighten the bolts again after a couple days and i have done three of these type jobs
next weekend im putting mine in.

i have 3 broken bolts which i think are flush with the head.

so i got the extractors and center drills.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Scammer Alert!

ya i mean i guess is not the end of the world, but definately a pain in the ***, right revelation, lol what kinda sound can i expect, i have a slp exhaust already and am putting the pace setter long tubes on should get the car back tonightt
Old 04-22-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ricks99ls1
ya i mean i guess is not the end of the world, but definately a pain in the ***, right revelation, lol what kinda sound can i expect, i have a slp exhaust already and am putting the pace setter long tubes on should get the car back tonightt
if you have the loudmouth the thing is gonna be stupid loud and raspy.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know why people buy new header gaskets, the stock metal gasket is the best gasket you can use. They can be reused over and over. For the bolts that won't go in anymore, sounds like you started them wrong and chances are those bolt holes are fucked.