Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spraying a dual plane intake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Spraying a dual plane intake?

My roommate has a nice little street car, with a nicely built bottom end.
His original goal was to be able to spray it with the same power it made on motor, and it made 395 rwhp, so he'd like to hit it with up to a 350 shot at some point.

Now, its no LS motor, nor a GM, but I figure the same rules apply. (322" SBF, Dart block, billet crank)
His friend (who happens to work for Wilson Manifolds) has told him he cant spray any more than a 150 shot with the dual plane perf rpm air gap thats on the car now. He says we'll need a single plane to spray any more than that safely, but a single plane will likely suck with such a small motor.

The kit is a single stage Nitrous ProFlow 4150 kit with the dual cross bars for N20/fuel.
I can simply look at the plate and see why it may be a problem, but I'm looking for others who may have some experience with this type of situation.
I'm also thinking that another type of plate design, like maybe the Zex perimeter spray pattern plate may be a solution, up to a point...what do you guys think?
Old 10-14-2008, 06:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, I wouldn't recommend it either. Even with a perimiter style. If he's looking at hitting it with that much make the switch to the single plane...and at that point if he's still not liking the idea of a single plane, he is going to need to decide on the direction he wants to take the car. Sorry for the bad news Mike.

Thanks

Nick
Old 10-14-2008, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't spray a dual plane at all. Had a buddy try it twice, first time cost a set of spark plugs and the second time it cost him the motor. One side went leaner than the other and sent all kind s of parts thru the block.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:51 PM
9 Second Club

Direct port might be nice.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

400rwhp is a lot for a 322" motor. It probably has a sizeable cam and spins pretty good rpm...I bet it would really benefit N/A with a single plane.

His plate will work just fine, just get a single plane and watch the corner plugs!
Old 10-15-2008, 06:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dual plane manafolds are not the best to use with Nitrous. In the past we have used the NX conventional style plates on them with good results. However Im not a fan of it. This guys would be much better off going to a single plane intake. However it is going to take away from his lowend alittle.

If he wants to maintain the dual plane intake he would be better off going to a directport. However at the amount of HP he is looking to achieve I am not so sure that the dual plane intake will flow enough airflow for the HP level..

Dave
Old 10-16-2008, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by myfast70
I wouldn't spray a dual plane at all. Had a buddy try it twice, first time cost a set of spark plugs and the second time it cost him the motor. One side went leaner than the other and sent all kind s of parts thru the block.
I see it all too often. I don't know whether its a fact of some people being mis-informed by others or stubbornness to defy the odds or what. Hopefully he rebuilt?

Nick
Old 10-16-2008, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thanks for all of the feedback guys.
You all pretty much seem to share the same opinion and that makes it an easier decision to make.

Looks like we'll do a single plane (there is still a super Victor 8.2 sitting in the shed from his race car...) and deal with the loss of low end, not that it should be a big deal with a 5 speed and 3.73 gears.

Thanks
Mike
Old 10-16-2008, 10:23 AM
FormerVendor

Mike, Keep me updated with what you guys decide. Thanks.

Nick
Old 10-16-2008, 11:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Will do....9's or bust for the little Stanger....

Quick Reply: Spraying a dual plane intake?