Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relay??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relay??

I pulled the hose out of my lid recently and out of curiousity I armed the kit and hit the WOT switch and . . . . . . nothing. My purge valve works fine so I assumed the nitrous was working fine, but I never really felt a difference. When I hit the WOT switch you hear the relay click, but you don't hear the solenoid hit. Is this a relay problem? Any help is appreciated

Last edited by 02WS6_TA; 12-02-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Originally Posted by 02WS6_TA
When I hit the WOT switch you hear the relay click, but you don't hear the relay hit. Is this a relay problem? Any help is appreciated
how is the system wired and what components do you have...window switch, wot switch, etc.

I am not quite following your original question.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

I'm with Ray here. We need some more information on what you're working with. If the relay is clicking, I'd bet the issue is somewhere else...How do you have it wired up?

-Will
Old 12-02-2008, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF you hear the relay click it is providing a hot(should go to the noid). you need to check the ground at the noid. if you have hot and ground at the noid and its not opening it is dead.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

I have the WOT switch, no window switch. When you make contact with the WOT switch you will hear the relay click real loud and you won't hear the solenoid at all. I have the noid hot running to the relay and the ground running to the fender. I used the same ground for the purge solenoid so I know that the ground is sufficient. Sorry for all of the confusion in the earlier post, rushed it in before work.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

it sounds like a solenoid issue....test it by running a jumper wire from the 12v side of the battery to one side of the solenoid and the other to the ground on the battery, If the solenoid doesn't click its the solenoid...if it does you have a wiring issue.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 02WS6_TA
I have the WOT switch, no window switch. When you make contact with the WOT switch you will hear the relay click real loud and you won't hear the solenoid at all. I have the noid hot running to the relay and the ground running to the fender. I used the same ground for the purge solenoid so I know that the ground is sufficient. Sorry for all of the confusion in the earlier post, rushed it in before work.
Sometimes its difficult to hear everything at once. Have someone put their hand on the coil when you test it to feel for the click. Any problems be sure to let me know. Thanks

Nick
Old 12-03-2008, 10:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After testing the noids like Nick suggested if you can not feel them click do like ray suggested and run some temporary wire over to the battery to see if they work. If they do you need to re check your connections.

Make sure you have a large enough wire to carry the amp load.
Dave
Old 12-03-2008, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

try touch the coil with a screw driver when you hit with power if it will hold screw driver then the coil is working, do not hold power to it over 10-20 seconds
just my .02' Johnny
Old 12-04-2008, 08:07 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
try touch the coil with a screw driver when you hit with power if it will hold screw driver then the coil is working, do not hold power to it over 10-20 seconds
just my .02' Johnny
Good advice. Holding the solenoid open without any fluid to cool the coil will damage and overheat the coil.

Let me know the results and there are a few more things we can have you check. Thanks!

Nick