Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I asking too much from my tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Am I asking too much from my tuner?

Not trying to cyber bash or anything like that, but just looking for an unbiased opinion. The car is a 01 TA with a speed density tune and the nitro dave f body custom plate kit snd stand alone fuel cell with race gas in the cell pump gas in car tank. It puts down 400rwhp 350tq and I am going to spray a 100 shot. Tuner does not want to pull timing and doesent want to check my plugs, Tuner says its a small shot and with the race gas it dosent need it.

I have done my research on here and I feel that no mater what shot you run the plugs tell the real story, but I know nothing about tuning A/F or anything of that sort. So should I trust my tuners expert advice or humbly offer checking the plugs and pulling timing?
Old 04-09-2010, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

your tuner is a idiot..
Old 04-09-2010, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

Personaly he has put the best N/A tune on the car to date. I have have had 3 other professional tuners set up the car and his has been the best. I have been so happy with his work on the car so far which is why I am confused about this. If I could tune the A/F my self I would but I do not have the resources which is why I am asking.

I guess the question I am asking is can he just tune the A\F to the correct raito and I do the plug check or should the plugs get checked after he is done tuning the A/F?
Old 04-09-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Your tuners mentality is telling me that he needs to stick to na tuning because race fuel is not a substitute for timing imo... I would pull 3-4 degrees from the stock timing tables. if you have any timing added above stock that needs to be factored in aswell. Meaning if your running 28 degrees pull 6 on the 100 shot. Br7ef is the plug id run too, no tr's!!!
I could understand your tuners theory for a bolt on only 100shot car, but not a setup like yours...
Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Your tuners mentality is telling me that he needs to stick to na tuning because race fuel is not a substitute for timing imo... I would pull 3-4 degrees from the stock timing tables. if you have any timing added above stock that needs to be factored in aswell. Meaning if your running 28 degrees pull 6 on the 100 shot. Br7ef is the plug id run too, no tr's!!!
I could understand your tuners theory for a bolt on only 100shot car, but not a setup like yours...
Thats what I was thinking but dident want to say anything intill I had some facts. Thanks for ur input.

Now let me ask this. What are my options for geting the A/F correct if I dont have any know how of tuning my self. I know there are programers that pull timing but what about setting A/F?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Talking ...........................i run 25deegs,

I HAVE A 200 SHOT, NOS PLATE... WET, WITH TR6,S..
AT 25 DEGES.. AN WITH V/P 104 UNLEAD IT.. AN IMM KOOL..
BUT I WILL CHECK OUT THOS, BR7EF PLUGS....
Old 04-09-2010, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chknhwk01
I HAVE A 200 SHOT, NOS PLATE... WET, WITH TR6,S..
AT 25 DEGES.. AN WITH V/P 104 UNLEAD IT.. AN IMM KOOL..
BUT I WILL CHECK OUT THOS, BR7EF PLUGS....

what does it run?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol... The pistons will be running away from the rods shortly
Old 04-09-2010, 10:25 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by danger ds
Personaly he has put the best N/A tune on the car to date. I have have had 3 other professional tuners set up the car and his has been the best. I have been so happy with his work on the car so far which is why I am confused about this. If I could tune the A/F my self I would but I do not have the resources which is why I am asking.

I guess the question I am asking is can he just tune the A\F to the correct raito and I do the plug check or should the plugs get checked after he is done tuning the A/F?
Put a new set of plugs, pull 4*, make a pass, post'm up.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

Tuner sounds lazy to me. Some guys gamble and get lucky, but i have always stayed on the safe side, on the dyno, pull timing, total different tune than my NA tune.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3fingas
Put a new set of plugs, pull 4*, make a pass, post'm up.
that is excatly what i want to do, but my fear is what about the A/F ratio. Will pullling 4* save the motor if the A/F goes lean. I dont have a wideband in the car to check it.

Will my N/A A/F ratio do fine on a juiced car?
Old 04-10-2010, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

that is excatly what i want to do, but my fear is what about the A/F ratio. Will pullling 4* save the motor if the A/F goes lean. I dont have a wideband in the car to check it.

Will my N/A A/F ratio do fine on a juiced car?
You have done the right thing by getting the stand-alone fuel kit and you are running a good kit. Just make sure it is all installed correctly (ensure that BOTH solenoids activate at the same time, etc)
Get a tuner that is willing to pull some timing or just make your guy do it. If he doesn't want to be bothered to pull a single spark plug out of the engine, it is most likely because he doesn't have any idea how to 'read' a plug. Whether he knows how to read a plug or not, he doesn't seem like a professional tuner to me, because he isn't willing to put forth the effort that his customer expects. He may very well be quite good at what he does, and his tunes in your car may be top-notch, but I seriously think you should look into other options to get your car tuned, now that you are going to inject N2O into the engine.
With that said, your kit is WET, so you can basically leave the N/A tune alone, just pull about 4 degrees timing.
Put in some colder plugs, & make sure you put the right jets in.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KFZ)^
You have done the right thing by getting the stand-alone fuel kit and you are running a good kit. Just make sure it is all installed correctly (ensure that BOTH solenoids activate at the same time, etc)
Get a tuner that is willing to pull some timing or just make your guy do it. If he doesn't want to be bothered to pull a single spark plug out of the engine, it is most likely because he doesn't have any idea how to 'read' a plug. Whether he knows how to read a plug or not, he doesn't seem like a professional tuner to me, because he isn't willing to put forth the effort that his customer expects. He may very well be quite good at what he does, and his tunes in your car may be top-notch, but I seriously think you should look into other options to get your car tuned, now that you are going to inject N2O into the engine.
With that said, your kit is WET, so you can basically leave the N/A tune alone, just pull about 4 degrees timing.
Put in some colder plugs, & make sure you put the right jets in.
I am glad to hear others repeating what I was thinking already. I will kindly suggest that my tuner pull 4* and pull the plugs so that I can read them. Thanks for continued info and I will post up more details as the project moves along.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:20 PM
9 Second Club

Most good MOTOR tuners dont know squat about properly tuning a Nitrous motor. and that is prolly where your problem lies.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

You can adjust your afr with your fuel jet or even changing the psi in your stand alone. There are also many ways to pull timing, be it though a controller or tricking the iat. Now as far as timing I really think there are to many variables to just say 2* for every 50hp. I think that's old lodgic that people are afraid to get away from. What I do when setting up a n2o car is start with a 50 shot pull 2* from you na tune, do a run and scan, pull plugs. If no knock or if the plugs are clean then I'll add a degree back into the timing and repete the scan pull plugs excetera.... If nothing still I will add that last degree back then log again. Move up to a hundo pull 2* and repete the testing. In most cases that I've seen if you have a stand alone, a SOLID n/a tune and some race gas you can safely run a hundo on the n/a timing tables, but I do like it to be slightly richer on spray though.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camscam02
Most good MOTOR tuners dont know squat about properly tuning a Nitrous motor. and that is prolly where your problem lies.

Well I hope with all the good information on the fourm me and my tuner can get it set up right, if he is willing to take some advice from a guy who knows nothing about tuning. We know how some tuners are its there way or the highway, or at least that has been my experience. Trust me one way or another the tune will be right, and if this tuner cant cut it, Waco, Tx here I come, I know the nitrous outlet will get it done.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

I am in the same boat as you as far as not knowing how to tune (working on changing that tho) but logically thinking if your tuner is giving you hassle and you can take it to a place that specializes in what you need tuned I wouldn't even mess with the local tuner as you would prolly get better results from nitrous outlet...not saying the guy can't tune but he might be slightly uneducated when it comes to nitrous tuning which is where you wouldn't get the best tune like you would at nitrous outlet
Old 04-11-2010, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevyman9306
I am in the same boat as you as far as not knowing how to tune (working on changing that tho) but logically thinking if your tuner is giving you hassle and you can take it to a place that specializes in what you need tuned I wouldn't even mess with the local tuner as you would prolly get better results from nitrous outlet...not saying the guy can't tune but he might be slightly uneducated when it comes to nitrous tuning which is where you wouldn't get the best tune like you would at nitrous outlet
I totaly agree the only reason why I am trying to make this work is because he will re tune for free, where as I will have to pay for another tune, plus nitrous outlet is 6 hours away for me But you know what they say "If you can pay dont spray".
Old 04-11-2010, 09:01 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not trying to cyber bash or anything like that, but just looking for an unbiased opinion. The car is a 01 TA with a speed density tune and the nitro dave f body custom plate kit snd stand alone fuel cell with race gas in the cell pump gas in car tank. It puts down 400rwhp 350tq and I am going to spray a 100 shot. Tuner does not want to pull timing and doesent want to check my plugs, Tuner says its a small shot and with the race gas it dosent need it.

I have done my research on here and I feel that no mater what shot you run the plugs tell the real story, but I know nothing about tuning A/F or anything of that sort. So should I trust my tuners expert advice or humbly offer checking the plugs and pulling timing?
If the tune is good and the A/F is correct on the motor and correct on the gas, you do not need to pull any timing on a 100 shot. Been there done that. Get it right on the motor, use the fuel pressure on the standalone to dial it in on the gas. I've ran a 150 shot for 4 years and never pulled any timing or lost a motor due to timing.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
If the tune is good and the A/F is correct on the motor and correct on the gas, you do not need to pull any timing on a 100 shot. Been there done that. Get it right on the motor, use the fuel pressure on the standalone to dial it in on the gas. I've ran a 150 shot for 4 years and never pulled any timing or lost a motor due to timing.
Well you sure did tell me what I wanted to hear. I will keep in mind what you said when I talk to my tuner again because he wants to go this route. Thanks for your experience I hope my car responds the same way yours did.

Quick Reply: Am I asking too much from my tuner?