Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can dealers detect nitrous ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can dealers detect nitrous ??

I dunno i heard a myth that dealers could tell if u were runnin n20 or not ? is this true imma be runnin a 75 hp dry shot ? and i like my warranty so ya lemme kno guys thanks.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:38 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

Um...if ya leave all the plumbing, bottle, etc. of course.
I would imagine if you left no visible trace that it was there (hole in the intake or whatever) then they couldn't do ****
Old 03-12-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

If you pull all the nitrous parts off, change the plugs, and change the oil, I'm sure there is absolutely nothing they could do. I've heard rumors that the dealer could test the oil, but I doubt that is true. Obviously if you have holes drilled into your spare tirewell and holes in your airbox, they'll eventually figure it out.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:04 AM
Banned

Change the oil..they do oil analysis when motors break..and find nitrous that way..
Old 03-12-2004, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i heard they can "test" or do some kind of procedure and get carbon deposits off the tops of the pistons and tell n20 has been there..thats just what HEARD, dont know if fact or fiction. Also dont think dealer would even check if the car looked stock and not modded. example: exhaust you could hear from a mile,slicks on the back,remnants of a shoddy nos install still lingering. just walk up in that biotch like hey guys i think theres something wrong with my motor, they'll ask; do you keep the oil changed?....you'll say yes, i have it changed ,i dont even know what an oil filter looks like, i just check it EVERY time i get gas. hah ah no just kidding. Really if you blow something up on nitrous its not gm's fault. didnt see that 125 shot on the window sticker options...
matt
Old 03-12-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only means I have ever heard of was testing the oil. Which they do, and even if it has fresh oil, they can still POSSIBLY pick up some of the molecules in the oil that have dripped down from the valvetrain.

Maybe a second oil change would be needed to "flush" all of the oil completely out of the motor. Don't most of the oil change shops have a motor flush? My wife had a complete oil flush after she decided to go over 6000 miles between oil changes(yeah....I was pissed off!) and her oil was sludgy.

Now checking the piston tops for deposits????? If you have a hole burned in a piston, I would have to say your screwed. Flush the motor, cover your tracks and remove the nitrous system, and for damn sure, change the airlid if your running a dry system.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Teching In

ALL RUMORS i took my 17 day old car back in after i melted #5 piston with a 300 shot, took off all the mods and put a stock lid and played stupid, took 2 weeks to get the aprovall from the distric rep to replace my engine, my dum *** forgot to change the plugs and oil, but still no signs or evidence of a nitrous assisted failure could be proven. in the end you are at the discresion of the service manager/rep DO NOT **** HIM/HER off.....
Old 03-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Rotfl ^
Old 03-13-2004, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

I could always tell when nitrous was the cause of engine damage. I have toasted a few in my times. My best advice is be nice and not leave any factual evedence. We hardly test oil unless we have cause to. I build alot of new vettes for customers and I alway let them now that if we have and issue it does't mean the car is out of warranty. Now if we blow one up and its cause because of a part thats on there well I don't ask GM to pay for iT. We are mod friendly, be cause most of us in the shop have been racers for years. Most guys out there working on cars of there own make alot of mistakes. Thats why we say ask for advice before going in over your head.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ROFL omg, a 300 shot? What were you thinking!
Old 03-19-2004, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

actually if they want they can seee from carbon on your pistons or in the combustion chambers because of the amount of sulfer. If you remember nitrous for cars comes with sulfer oxide in it so that it cant be inhaled. They can check but rarely do unless they really wanna screw u.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know this post is old but...

When my SS had the original motor they checked and found nitrous in the oil and I was screwed, but keep in mind this was an aftermarket warranty. Not sure if it is standard procedure through the OEM warranty. SO what arron says is not true. Its not all rumors.

SO I was thinking, if you blow your motor (and if it is still able to run, but just runs poorly). I guess you could still do some methanol/alcohol/water injection and clean out the motor? Even if you just sprayed it into the intake

Never know, could work. Then of course do a couple oil changes.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

To add, Im a tech at a VW dealer and for some stupid reason this kid decided to spray 100 shot on a 2.0L golf... to make a long story short he blew the motor we did ran a test of the oil to figure out why a 8,000 mile car broke valves and snap a rod to find that nitrous was the cause. Im not sure if gm dealers do the test but i know it possible so defentily change the oil before you take it in.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
To add, Im a tech at a VW dealer and for some stupid reason this kid decided to spray 100 shot on a 2.0L golf... to make a long story short he blew the motor we did ran a test of the oil to figure out why a 8,000 mile car broke valves and snap a rod to find that nitrous was the cause. Im not sure if gm dealers do the test but i know it possible so defentily change the oil before you take it in.
Not so much a matter of which types of automaker dealerships do it, but more of a management decision. If they are suspicious all they have to do is send the oil to a lab and have them check for w/e they check for (nitrates???)

Changing your oil will help, but will not make it all go away unfortunately.
Because when they detected mine, I hadn't run nitrous in the car for 2 oil changes since I took the nitrous off the car and they still detected it in there.

Now and oil flush is a different story..but I still dont know if that would do it
Old 11-11-2005, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

From what I understand just be extremely nice, very surprised and do the plugs, and oil flush and you should not have anything to worry about.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

I'd have to say it all depends on the area the dealer is located. Different mentality. So here are my experiences:

I've taken my car in for warranty stuff before... when I lived in the Washington D.C. area, I had one of my horns fail two weeks after I bought the car straight from the dealer. It took me over a week to get them to fix the **** under warranty because apparently I had put in subs and an aftermarket alarm. I'm sorry, but loud music and dumb alarms aren't on my list of things to do. The car was completely stock.

Just recently, about 300 miles south of D.C., I had both of my windows fail. The motors went bad or something. I took it into the dealer, only removed the nitrous gauge from the pillar and took the noid's out, but left the hole in my intake; the damn SES light was on; I had been coming in and out for a week asking for things like spare retainers and locks (for cam swap); they even PLAYED WITH MY QTECS!!! If they didn't catch on that I've been modding my car and messing with the electrical system, then lord help them. But, good news, they fixed everything with no questions asked.

so... South > North.

-somebody
Old 11-11-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought it can only be detected if it is automotive grade because it has traces of sulfur in it, while the medical grade is just pure nitrous oxide with no sulfur dioxide
Old 11-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

do an aoil change with oil that hasnt been sprayed on, and save the oil and filter, if anything ever goes wrong, drain the excisting oil, and refill with the old oil and put on the old filter If they do an analisis on the oil they wont find ****
Old 11-11-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting! I wonder if anyone knows
Old 11-11-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stangsteve
do an aoil change with oil that hasnt been sprayed on, and save the oil and filter, if anything ever goes wrong, drain the excisting oil, and refill with the old oil and put on the old filter If they do an analisis on the oil they wont find ****
Not a bad idea, what he means is that if you flush the system and the motor is supposed to be blown up, they will see the new oil and get suspicious.

However, how do you know they wont find ****? Like I said, I had done 2-3 oil changes (yes, 2-3 new filters) after I took the nitrous off the car and the lab results came back positive.

So how the hell do you know they wont find ****?

Quick Reply: Can dealers detect nitrous ??