Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling timing via Traction Control for Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulling timing via Traction Control for Nitrous

I posted this on the Corvette forum but thought I might get some hits here since noone over there is posting..

Not sure how many of you have done your nitrous setup this way or if it's even a good way to do it but.. the way my nitrous is setup my tuner wired a relay to my activation switch that feeds to a pin for the traction control on the pcm so it will pull however much timing he tunes it to pull anytime the activation switch is armed.. in my TransAm he would have it pull about 6 degree's of timing anytime the arming switch was on, then when I switched it off the pcm would go right back to full timing so I didnt give up 6 degrees of timing while running N/A .. Its the best way to have a nitrous tune and a N/A tune I think.. I am 99% sure he tapped into my traction control wire on the pcm in my TransAm but now I have switch my nitrous system over to my Corvette and I can figure out which wire to tap.. The only potential problem I could think of is that the TransAm did NOT have traction control as a factory option so messing with that wire had no other ill effects on the traction control system as the car never had it anyway. However the Corvette DOES have it so I dont know if that wire can still be tapped for this purpose now.. Any input on this method is appreciated and if its an acceptable method to pull timing I still dont know which wire to tap into at the PCM.. (I'm sure he does but I was going to go ahead and run the relay so he doesnt have to mess with it before tuning the Corvette
Old 08-12-2012, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

I'm running the Lingenfelter timing retard box and it pulls timing only when the nitrous system is armed via shared power. N/A tune stays the same as always.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:15 AM
11 Second Club

So judging by the lack of responses this isnt a common way to do it... Just wonder now if it is safe lol
Old 08-13-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1BAD98TA
So judging by the lack of responses this isnt a common way to do it... Just wonder now if it is safe lol
First I've heard of that one. I wouldn't want anything messing with the TCM.

I use the "resistor mod" to pull timing when the noids fire on my Z06. One tune for that as well.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

I could be wrong on the Traction Control thing but I know for 100% fact he has taken a relay and spliced it into my activation switch so that as soon as I arm the system it energizes the relay and that in turn pulls timing out.. He has the ability to control how much timing it pulls when the wire is energized with HP tuners and the reason I know that is when I went from the 100 shot up to a 150 shot he reprogrammed the tune to pull more timing when arming the switch.. I thought it was a really slick trick when it did it but I guess I should have asked more questions since I really dont know exactly what he did lol.. I will just wait for him to fix it on the 21st when he does the tune on the Vette
Old 08-13-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

The "resistor mod" works like that. You tie it into the IAT sensor and when the resistor is activated with a relay (either by the arm switch or whatever triggers the noids), it tricks the IAT into thinking the temp is something it would never normally get to (I use 204 degrees) then it pulls timing based on the IAT spark adder table. I know it says adder but you just use a negative value to pull timing.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

on the stock pcm, I like to do it via a relay and a resistor
flip nitrous on, it triggers a relay which switches from IAT sensor to a resistor...
resistor acts like the IAT is reading a really hot temperature
use the IAT Timing table to pull timing...
also, if you do a dry shot, you can use the IAT PE modifier table to add fuel

works great every time, and you keep your NA tune when your Nitrous isnt on.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep. I used the ECT sensor but it does the same thing. I just have a nice visual cue and parameter I can log when I spray to be 100% sure it's activated.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

So its looking like he probably tapped into the IAT sensor since that is what you guys did.. Cool

Quick Reply: Pulling timing via Traction Control for Nitrous