Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't idle with BR7EF's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't idle with BR7EF's?

I sprayed my car for the first time today and wanted to get some input on the tune and why my car doesn't want to idle. I have cam, bolt on car and I just put on a HSW plate kit with a 100 shot. I've got the nano 3000 kit to regulate bottle pressure at 1050psi and I'm using a timing tuner to pull 6 degrees while spraying. I installed BR7EF's and gapped them to .032. On my first pass, I was using a .058 Nitrous jet and .031 Fuel jet and I've attached pictures of one of the plugs. I'm not an expert, but I think the plugs looked okay, the timing mark was almost to the bend and the fuel didn't look too rich (I killed the car at the end of the pull, so there was no idle time on the plugs). However, after I made the pass, my car wouldn't want to idle. It runs fine once I'm going, but it struggles to find idle and keeps shutting off. What would be causing this? Have any of you had problems with your idle after switching plugs?
Attached Thumbnails Car won't idle with BR7EF's?-plug1.jpg   Car won't idle with BR7EF's?-plug2.jpg  
Old 05-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nurmikko22
I sprayed my car for the first time today and wanted to get some input on the tune and why my car doesn't want to idle. I have cam, bolt on car and I just put on a HSW plate kit with a 100 shot. I've got the nano 3000 kit to regulate bottle pressure at 1050psi and I'm using a timing tuner to pull 6 degrees while spraying. I installed BR7EF's and gapped them to .032. On my first pass, I was using a .058 Nitrous jet and .031 Fuel jet and I've attached pictures of one of the plugs. I'm not an expert, but I think the plugs looked okay, the timing mark was almost to the bend and the fuel didn't look too rich (I killed the car at the end of the pull, so there was no idle time on the plugs). However, after I made the pass, my car wouldn't want to idle. It runs fine once I'm going, but it struggles to find idle and keeps shutting off. What would be causing this? Have any of you had problems with your idle after switching plugs?

Jets are backwards .058 fuel .031 nitrous I doubt it could be the plugs causing this problem. How did the car idle before the pull?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nurmikko22
Timing looks good. Needs some fuel out of it. People have trouble switching to the cold plugs all the time (usually accredited to a not so good tune in the first place). However, generally speaking it takes some time to dirty the plugs(ie idle time). Does it still rev clean? It could be a coincidental vacuum leak or something. If not then the idle tune needs some work.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Teching In

I double checked and the jets are correct, it should be .052 nitrous jet for a 100 shot, and if they were backwards, the plugs would look much worse. The car revs and drives fine, with no backfires or misses, so I'm guessing it is the idle tune. I'm guessing my tune wasn't that great in the first place because after I installed the cam, my car would occasionally die when my air conditioning is on. Thanks for input.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:36 AM
9 Second Club

The first pic you posted shows the fuel ring, it should be about 1/8 inch off the base of the lip. Get fuel right first then focus on timing but always stay of the SAFE side of timing while getting fuel correct.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm about to do the BR7's as well, and have a crappy tune with idle issues as it is now, so this is good info to know here lol
Old 05-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Launching!

i would think your tune has to be really f'd up to not idle with 7's i have ran #9's on the street with zero issues. Like others said you have to much fuel in that thing.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do have to agree that it is probably in the tune not really any issue with the plugs. They may slightly increase a problem that was already there in the tune due to the lower heat range but i really don't see that it would be enough to make it not idle.

Quick Reply: Car won't idle with BR7EF's?