Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Nitrous n00b!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another Nitrous n00b!

Another nitrous n00b looking for answers! The current mods on my car are listed on my sig, car hasn't been dynoed yet. I was debating on doing heads/cam over the winter but nitrous just seems "easier" and about the same price haha

Anyways I want to do a Nitrous Outlet Plate kit. After comparing a couple kits I just love how clean that kit looks and how there isn't many hoses going around the engine. I understand I'll probably need a Window switch (cause M6), but is a WOT switch still needed with a window switch? Would they just work together? Pretty much a window switch would allow the nitrous to come on between 3-6k rpm but the WOT switch wouldn't allow it to come on unless the pedal was to the floor? Without the WOT switch it would just come on between 3-6 rpm if armed? Right? Sorry if that's confusing, been doing too much reading

Another question, I know I'll have to pull around 6 degrees of timing, if I want to do a 150 shot. What if I want to run the car with no nitrous? How could I go from "nitrous tune" to "n/a tune"? I'm assuming that's something the tuner would handle but I would like to understand it. Would I need any additional accessories to do that? I think I understood the lmc-2000 does something like this, pulling timing with a ****, but is that the only option? It's a bit pricey

I know a bottle heater would be a good addition too and different plugs obviously. What about fuel pump? I think I've read about people upgrading fuel pump and some don't, I would like to keep my stock pump (budget purposes) would I be able to do a 150 shot with no worries of the pump not being able to support it?

Aaaaaaaaaaand last but not least, the big question, what kind of power should I expect?
Old 10-17-2014, 04:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

WOT switch comes with most newer kits and yes its only when the pedal is to the floor. The LNC-2000 will allow you to pull timing only when the nitrous is activated, allowing you to run normal timing otherwise. Is this a wet or dry kit?
Old 10-17-2014, 05:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
WOT switch comes with most newer kits and yes its only when the pedal is to the floor. The LNC-2000 will allow you to pull timing only when the nitrous is activated, allowing you to run normal timing otherwise. Is this a wet or dry kit?
Ahhh yeah, now that I look at the picture again, it does look like it includes a WOT switch. Description doesn't say it though Is there another way to pull timing besides tuning or with the LNC-2000? It's a wet kit.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

The LNC is the only unit that I'm aware of that allows you to pull instantly like that. There may be other options that I'm not familiar with
Old 10-17-2014, 08:24 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will want a WOT switch in conjunction with the RPM window switch. As you mentioned, if you didn't have a WOT switch, the nitrous would come on anytime between 3-6k even if you were just cruising part throttle. You DON'T want that haha.

You can either pull timing in HP tuners, and run around with 4-6* pulled. The car should still run okay on motor, but it will be down a very small amount on power. I would pull 4* and run 93 octane if you plan to go that route, you probably won't notice much difference n/a with 4* pulled.

Or, you could run one of these. It pulls timing only when you arm the nitrous system. Pretty handy.
http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...3#.VEEZ-cms5tU

With your mods and a factory fuel pump, you should be able to add 100-150 without any issues, just watch for fuel pressure drops on the hit. You will easily be able to tell if the pump can't keep up.

A heater would be handy also, good bottle pressure is a very important part of your tuneup. If the bottle is cold/low on pressure, the car will be rich on the hit.

Don't forget your cooler spark plugs also. You could use some BR7EF NGK plugs, great for your application.

The car will haul the mail on 150 from where its at right now.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks,
Garrett
Old 10-17-2014, 09:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by silverWS.6
Another nitrous n00b looking for answers! The current mods on my car are listed on my sig, car hasn't been dynoed yet. I was debating on doing heads/cam over the winter but nitrous just seems "easier" and about the same price haha

Anyways I want to do a Nitrous Outlet Plate kit. After comparing a couple kits I just love how clean that kit looks and how there isn't many hoses going around the engine. I understand I'll probably need a Window switch (cause M6), but is a WOT switch still needed with a window switch? Would they just work together? Pretty much a window switch would allow the nitrous to come on between 3-6k rpm but the WOT switch wouldn't allow it to come on unless the pedal was to the floor? Without the WOT switch it would just come on between 3-6 rpm if armed? Right? Sorry if that's confusing, been doing too much reading

Another question, I know I'll have to pull around 6 degrees of timing, if I want to do a 150 shot. What if I want to run the car with no nitrous? How could I go from "nitrous tune" to "n/a tune"? I'm assuming that's something the tuner would handle but I would like to understand it. Would I need any additional accessories to do that? I think I understood the lmc-2000 does something like this, pulling timing with a ****, but is that the only option? It's a bit pricey

I know a bottle heater would be a good addition too and different plugs obviously. What about fuel pump? I think I've read about people upgrading fuel pump and some don't, I would like to keep my stock pump (budget purposes) would I be able to do a 150 shot with no worries of the pump not being able to support it?

Aaaaaaaaaaand last but not least, the big question, what kind of power should I expect?
Our systems do come with a WOT switch but if you get the NOS TPS/Window switch that we offer, you can use the vehicles TPS to activate the nitrous. The LNC-2000 is the only box I know of that can control the timing like you are wanting it to. Shoot me a PM or email and I will build you an estimate all the way down to the correct plugs to use. on a 150 shot, with the correct tune up you will be very close to the 150 number at the rear wheels. Fuel pump wise, you might be pushing it though(assuming your car makes in the 350-370RWHP range(Mine did with similar mods) Let me know if you have any questions. We offer all of the products you will need for a safe, consistent system.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2014, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
You will want a WOT switch in conjunction with the RPM window switch. As you mentioned, if you didn't have a WOT switch, the nitrous would come on anytime between 3-6k even if you were just cruising part throttle. You DON'T want that haha.
Lol yeah I figured as much, wouldn't want to be doing mild acceleration and spraying!

You can either pull timing in HP tuners, and run around with 4-6* pulled. The car should still run okay on motor, but it will be down a very small amount on power. I would pull 4* and run 93 octane if you plan to go that route, you probably won't notice much difference n/a with 4* pulled.
I see, for some reason I thought it would hurt the engine running with timing pulled and no nitrous going through so that was my main concern to be able to control timing. Now that I think about it though, from the couple tuning videos I've seen, people add and take away timing and then make full power pulls. I'll definitely be running 93, I usually fill up with it as is.

Or, you could run one of these. It pulls timing only when you arm the nitrous system. Pretty handy.
http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...3#.VEEZ-cms5tU

With your mods and a factory fuel pump, you should be able to add 100-150 without any issues, just watch for fuel pressure drops on the hit. You will easily be able to tell if the pump can't keep up.

A heater would be handy also, good bottle pressure is a very important part of your tuneup. If the bottle is cold/low on pressure, the car will be rich on the hit.

Don't forget your cooler spark plugs also. You could use some BR7EF NGK plugs, great for your application.

The car will haul the mail on 150 from where its at right now.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks,
Garrett
I'll most likely be picking up a bottle heater also and plugs for sure! Thanks for all the advice!

Originally Posted by brandon@nitrousoutlet
Our systems do come with a WOT switch but if you get the NOS TPS/Window switch that we offer, you can use the vehicles TPS to activate the nitrous. The LNC-2000 is the only box I know of that can control the timing like you are wanting it to. Shoot me a PM or email and I will build you an estimate all the way down to the correct plugs to use. on a 150 shot, with the correct tune up you will be very close to the 150 number at the rear wheels. Fuel pump wise, you might be pushing it though(assuming your car makes in the 350-370RWHP range(Mine did with similar mods) Let me know if you have any questions. We offer all of the products you will need for a safe, consistent system.

Thanks!
I thought the fuel pump might struggle a little, I'll probably be picking up a fuel pressure gauge to put inside the car along with my A/F Ratio gauge so I could monitor those two things. If the pump does struggle with the 150 then I'll drop down to a 100 shot, if that helps at all. I'll go ahead and shoot you a PM or email so I can start letting the wife know the amount of money that might go missing! Thanks!
Old 10-19-2014, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were u I would spend the money on a pump. Its cheaper than a motor if the pump decides to go while on spray...

Nos mini is the best investment unless u have the coin to drop on a lnc-2000. I don't see the exact point for buying that for what ur trying to do. Way over kill .

I have no clue about power numbers to expect on the shot. But my car with the timing back in it would barely go 12.0. On a 150 shot with 10 degrees timing pulled and c16 my car went a 9.8 lol
Old 10-19-2014, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GIMPY02
If I were u I would spend the money on a pump. Its cheaper than a motor if the pump decides to go while on spray...

Nos mini is the best investment unless u have the coin to drop on a lnc-2000. I don't see the exact point for buying that for what ur trying to do. Way over kill .

I have no clue about power numbers to expect on the shot. But my car with the timing back in it would barely go 12.0. On a 150 shot with 10 degrees timing pulled and c16 my car went a 9.8 lol
Good point on the fuel pump, I am replacing the rear here shortly so might as well drop the tank while I'm at it.

What pump would be a good pump? A quick search brought up Walbro and Racetronix, with Racetronix being the most popular option apparently.

I found this http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...A-001B&eq=&Tp=
Old 10-20-2014, 05:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

You want the Racetronix kit. Basically a Walbro 255 pump and hot wire kit
Old 10-29-2014, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Good point on the fuel pump, I am replacing the rear here shortly so might as well drop the tank while I'm at it.

What pump would be a good pump? A quick search brought up Walbro and Racetronix, with Racetronix being the most popular option apparently.

I found this http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...A-001B&eq=&Tp=
I run a single 255 walboro with no hotwire kit.. Sprayed 200 over the weekend with know fuel pressure issues or lean spikes..

My setup is cam only nitrous ls6 intake stock fuel rails tuned speed density. Just to give u an idea what the pump is capable of. Like I said I've gone 9.8 on the 150 so my car is making some decent power with just a 255 walboro
Old 11-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Teching In

How much wiring needs to be done for the window switch and WOT switch?

Quick Reply: Another Nitrous n00b!