Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spraying 200+ shot on stock injectors...how?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Spraying 200+ shot on stock injectors...how?

So as a nitrous newbie I've been doing lotsa research and reading around on what people have been doing and came across a couple cars that are running 200+ dry shots on stock lsx injectors 0.o.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-...-beaten-daily/

an example of a 55 chevy spraying 225 dry shot on stock 01 6.0l injectors. Figured it had to be flex fuel injectors but then I found this too:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/1139...w-what-a-ride/

Running a 230 shot on stock 28lb injectors on 5.3l with 224/228

Is this years of nitrous knowledge showing itself by these guys? Or is this at all repeatable by the average racer?

On the same note is there a general rule to how much fuel to add for lets say a 100 shot? For example off the bottle a/f ratio is 12.5 so during spray not compensating would it be then 13.5? Just wondering if there is a general rule of thumb for how much nos leans out the ratio
Old 03-07-2017, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

How are you tuning? Need way more info. To spray a 200 shot you need a little more pump but injectors should be fine.
If you run lean you run the risk of melting parts due to heat. You need to have your afrs down to a science. I run an auto tuner. Just tell it what to be at for afr and it adjusts accordingly. My setup like 12.4 on 200 shot tiny fuel rings on plugs.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

I use hptuners for tuning, in speed density mode. I was more just wondering if the injectors would be fine? Cause from what I've gathered it doesn't seem like they would be able to flow enough to support that although I guess I might be wrong.

I was planning on tuning using the EGT, my wideband, and plugs. Then when running nitrous having a tune that kicked in PE right before wot switch to avoid lean spike
Old 03-07-2017, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only time injectors come into play with nitrous is on dry shots.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blk00ss
Only time injectors come into play with nitrous is on dry shots.
Haha if you read my original post the whole thing is about dry shots. Well aware the difference between a dry shot and wet shot

I guess I just didn't think the stock injectors at less than 30lbs would be able to handle the 220+ dry shot along with a cam and other mods. Maybe I just missed if the numbers the stocker injectors held up to were rwhp or fwhp.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry didn't catch the dry part. Wet off the rail for the fuel solenoid, and 200 shot pretty much maxes out the injectors. I can't remember exactly the duty cycle but it was close enough I montiored close in the beginning. I upgraded to dry and went to 80 lb injectors. No way I would trust stock injectors on a dry system if you were pulling fuel off the rail.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishmasterdan
How are you tuning? Need way more info. To spray a 200 shot you need a little more pump but injectors should be fine.
If you run lean you run the risk of melting parts due to heat. You need to have your afrs down to a science. I run an auto tuner. Just tell it what to be at for afr and it adjusts accordingly. My setup like 12.4 on 200 shot tiny fuel rings on plugs.
What tuner are you using that offers an 'auto tuner'?
Old 03-08-2017, 06:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Holley EFI. There nitrous icf is very nice
Old 03-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fishmasterdan
Sorry didn't catch the dry part. Wet off the rail for the fuel solenoid, and 200 shot pretty much maxes out the injectors. I can't remember exactly the duty cycle but it was close enough I montiored close in the beginning. I upgraded to dry and went to 80 lb injectors. No way I would trust stock injectors on a dry system if you were pulling fuel off the rail.
See that was my thought process, but if you check out the articles I linked too these guys have been spraying over 200 on stock injectors for awhile now and running 6s in the 1/8th is moving. I'm wondering if they decapped the injectors for more flow...

Also your not pulling fuel off the rail with dry which is why I kind of like it. Put a fuel pressure safety switch on and I think a dry shot with the correct SD tune has a lot less to go wrong
Old 03-09-2017, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

I would just pony up and buy bigger injectors. I don't see how a factory injector could support a 200 dry shot
Old 03-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so let me clarify. I am not that interested in actually doing this. I'm definetely not that good of a tuner haha

I was more interested in learning how this is done? And if you look at the links theres two cars with videos of them running doing this...so I mean it has to be possible? They are doing it unless the meth kit was forgotten to be mentioned or something. I mean hotrod magazine even did an article on the 55.

I'm just trying to learn and was more interested in the discussion of what would need to be done for this? Obviously just getting bigger injectors is the smart and safe thing to do, but I like seeing projects where people really work with what they have and do some innovation
Old 03-10-2017, 01:49 PM
FormerVendor

If you jack up the fuel pressure you can get quite a bit out of the stock injectors. On a 5th Gen for example, you can run the ZL1 pump with a ADM FPCM and the pressure will go up to 65+ PSI...if your injectors are running 80% DC on 55psi, the extra fuel pressure from the pump at 65PSI will allow your injector DC to lower while still spraying the same amount of fuel.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Ahh that makes sense. Hmm I'm going to have to take a look at my flow rate on hptuners.
I found something called decapping injectors supposed to take stock injectors and double the flow.

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppy...fuel-injectors

Write up about it. Some guy on youtube did it had them flow tested and I think it was around 70lbs or so. Guy also said the person who flow tested them said the pattern looked good for forced induction. I'll try to find the video

But yeah jacking up the fuel pressure makes sense. Would this be way harder on the injectors? Like a race only thing or could you do it on the street too.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole Curtis
Some guy on youtube...
Funniest thing I have read all day.

I wonder who that "guy" is?
Old 03-16-2017, 01:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Denmah has preached decapped injectors because they work. The flow testing put to bed any speculation that they wouldn't. The spray pattern is damn near identical to a seimens deka 80lb injector...but decapping is free and 80lb injectors aren't. Definitely a good way to increase fuel flow, even if it is at the small sacrifice of a "perfectly atomized" fuel spray pattern.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
Funniest thing I have read all day.

I wonder who that "guy" is?
Hahaha someone smarter than me I was typing on phone and couldn't be bothered to make sure I was talking about the right channel. But yeah stumbling upon that made my budget look alot better. Sloppy mechanics rocks

Last edited by Cole Curtis; 03-18-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Spraying 200+ shot on stock injectors...how?