Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N20 Noid stuck open on me at the track today :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy N20 Noid stuck open on me at the track today :(

After making a pass at the track I let off the gas and the motor was still running at 4k. I then put the car in neutral and the car was idling horrible and popping like crazy. I shut the car off and coasted to the return road. I could hear the nitrous flowing when I popped the hood, it was not a leak from any of the line's either. I immediately closed the bottled removed the nitrous line going to the 'y' for the noids to let the nitrous escape from the line's. I then pulled the plug for the coil harness off and cranked the motor over for like 20 seconds and put everything back how it was. Started the car up and it seems to run fine. It definitely scared the s$%@ out of me.

I'm going to do a full compression test on the motor before I attempt to run the car again. What compression should I see on a stock motor with 27k miles on it? I was thinking about rebuilding the noid but I am deciding if I should switch over to NX's new noids. How do they compare in quaility(reliability) to the NOS brand noids that I have? I don't want any more problems with them again. Also any of the sponsors have sale's on them right now (don't really have extra cash laying around)? Any suggestions/help on anything would be greatly appreciated.

-William

Last edited by SSDriver; 11-20-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Junkie

damn you got lucky I thought this was gonna be a blown up car thread, smart thinking taking car of it like you did.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Typical for a stock motor is 165-175 psi. Glad to hear you didn't smoke the engine. Good job shuting it down.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Do you have a dry kit or a wet kit?
Old 11-20-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I'm extremely happy that the motor still seems to run fine. I'm just curious if the one side of the motor has any damge/excessive blow by now. I have the NOSzle universal kit installed on my car so it has the larger noids. It's the direct port kit with the nozzles underneath the injectors. The kit had jets in it for a 150 shot. Thanks StrockedLS1 for the psi figures. Now I just need to get a compression tester.

-William

Last edited by SSDriver; 11-20-2005 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You are a very lucky man!
Old 11-20-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because the vendors on this site are allways implying that NOS noids are inferior, I can tell it's paying off. However, the fact of the matter is, NX also has a failure rate with their noids, just as any other company does. Fact is, if you look at all the pro teams in the NHRA and IHRA you'll see the highest percent use NOS products. Furthermore, NOS holds more records than all the other nitrous companys combined, and has been around much, much longer. I would say put a kit in it and reuse. If you want to fall for the propaganda that is presented, go ahead and get NX noids. Now am i saying that NX is less than what they say they are, no, they are top notch. Because NOS is not a sponser on this sight does not mean their stuff is junk, this is my only point. Also, don't get your Cheater noids mixed up with the cheaper Powershot noids, as the Cheaters are great noids. For those wondering, I have absolutly no connection what so ever with NOS.
Robert
Old 11-20-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would just recommend a nitrous filter to prevent an open solinoid happening from some junk in the line.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I think the NX and TNT nitrous noids are very reliable, in fact I've never personally heard of one failing. That being said junk in the line will cause ANY brand noid to leak.... Do you have a good nitrous filter? What was your bottle pressure at the beginning of the run?

I'll also add that fuel noids are NOT reliable and Ive seen many fail. Since that is a Noszle kit, it is a basically a "wet" shot...Id also rebuild/check the fuel noid as they have a MUCH higher failure rate than the nitrous....
Old 11-20-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

The fact of the matter really is this, the nitrous manufactuers source their noids from the same company. They may specify certain parameters, but still the same source.
Robert
Old 11-20-2005, 11:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert56
Because the vendors on this site are allways implying that NOS noids are inferior, I can tell it's paying off. However, the fact of the matter is, NX also has a failure rate with their noids, just as any other company does. Fact is, if you look at all the pro teams in the NHRA and IHRA you'll see the highest percent use NOS products. Furthermore, NOS holds more records than all the other nitrous companys combined, and has been around much, much longer. I would say put a kit in it and reuse. If you want to fall for the propaganda that is presented, go ahead and get NX noids. Now am i saying that NX is less than what they say they are, no, they are top notch. Because NOS is not a sponser on this sight does not mean their stuff is junk, this is my only point. Also, don't get your Cheater noids mixed up with the cheaper Powershot noids, as the Cheaters are great noids. For those wondering, I have absolutly no connection what so ever with NOS.
Robert

ROBERT,
I can tell you PERSONALLY that the failure rate of NXs solenoids are NOTHING compared to NOSs. The reason is they do not use a lower quality solenoid for the hitman systems.Its smaller but they still hold up just as much as there larger solenoids. I know this from helping Many customers.Now I will give it this. The only ones I ever hear alot of complants on is the ones that come in the 5177 not the bigger systems.I can also tell you that the NX solenoids are twice the solenoid NOSs is. The NX solenoid is just a better built solenoid period. This does not mean that NOSs solenoid are junk.They work..BUT you would have to know what you are looking at to understand. This has nothing to do with VENDORS pushing product. I can sell NOS stuff just as much as I can any other product. However I tear apart everyones product to check it out. When I tell a person something is the best.I can look them in the eye and not feel like a car sales man selling a chevette and claiming its a corvette.... I push the product I do because it is THE BEST. But hey both cars get you to the store right...One just cheaper and not built with the asame quality in mind.

You will see more NX on late model fuel injected cars than you will any other brand. However alot of old carbed guys run NOS.
The reason why NOSs stuff is on alot of old carb cars is this... ITS CHEAP....These guys are mostly old school.NOS has been around for alonger time than some of the newer companys on the market.These guys have mega bucks tied up in jets and parts.There systems are cheaper because any joe can pick up a summit and by it CHEAP. People run what they know.

There are more and more people switching over to NX after a buddy or them selfes try it. The reason is quality and NEWER technology.

You will also learn that alot of big name racers are only as loyal to the guy giving them the free parts at the time.

I do not have anything against NOS but several of you post you basically state that some NITROUS SPONSORS say there is a huge difference in quality but that THOSE SPONSORS say that because they want to push product. Well Im one of those sponsors and yes I want to sell product but I say what I do because I have personally taken time to learn and look with a open Eye at the product on the market. If another nitrous company comes out and I feel as happy with there product as I do with NXs now.I will be the first to post up and say guys this is better.........

It has nothing to do with pushing product.Or just bieng on a band wagon.Its backed by my knowledge and personal opinion from studdieng the systems and helping many many many diferent people.

NOS was one the first systems I ever had a experience with. It was a dry system. My buddy had one on every mustang he ever owned. I thought it worked great and was awesome.However I started experiencing other things and studying different product. I became very interested in nitrous. Through out time I learned many things.Even tought classes at the colledge here about nitrous. I found a product that I feel holds higher quality over the other products available.Thats why I push it.

I have nothing against NOS.
I still can have just as much fun with there product as the next guys. However on my personal car Ill put what I think is the best. And thats what I will also suggest my freinds and anyone else that wants a honest knowledgeable suggestion to do. Its not just about pushing product...

Its about having pashion in the products you do push..

Last edited by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet; 11-21-2005 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Robert56
The fact of the matter really is this, the nitrous manufactuers source their noids from the same company. They may specify certain parameters, but still the same source.
Robert
This is also not true. There are several solenoid manafactures. Different companys use different manafactures. Yes some may use the same manafacture but that does not mean that they are the same solenoid.

Of course now no comapny out there will have a solenoid like NOS until someone coppies it ofcourse. LOL
Dave
Old 11-21-2005, 12:01 AM
FormerVendor

BUy the way. I hope this did not come across wrong but a few things in this post did seem to get under my skin alittle. I still would like to buy you a beer some day though.LOL
Dave
Old 11-21-2005, 02:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

No it didn't come across wrong, and my statements weren't personal against any single vendor. I get plently of e-mail and pm's on the NOS bashing thing. Some are even afraid of stating that they run NOS because of the bad reception often here. Myself, I think all the companys are presenting good products, I myself do not single out anyone's product as inferior or less than. You are certainly deserving and qualified in your choice of product you support, and having passion for it is a plus. Now with that said, each oher vendor has their choice also in the product they choose to support. I believe their is an inherent bias built in, any a salesman pushing a product for what ever reason they deem creditable. Now is there something wrong with that, no, not at all, American capitalisim at it's best. I just think that unbiased opinions sometimes are warranted and not meant as slanderous.

Now lets decide what my kit really is. I am using NOS, NX, DynoTune and CF parts, and I contend that they work well together, meaning, n2o works a certain way and each manufacturer gets the job done. So picking a brand to be loyal to is like picking Chevy over Ford over Pontiac, a choice. To prove one is better as an absolute is very difficult. I have allways said the top three companys are NX, TNT and NOS, so pick your poison, whether wet or dry, and have some serious fun kicking butt at the track. Yep, someday I am going to collect that beer.
Robert
Old 11-21-2005, 10:50 AM
FormerVendor

Wow, this is a good conversation. Good points by both Dave and Robert. I would like to throw out there that with the soon release of the Lightening solenoids the bar is definately raised (alot) as far as build quality, looks, and performance. They are pretty much in a class of their own.

And if it's ok with Robert, since I'm closer I will head down to Dave's and collect that beer, haha.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Trying to find someone (particularly a vendor) with first hand knowledge who will give you good un-biased advice is hard to do with any product. When I started looking at putting nitrous on my car I knew nothing about it. I have read everything I can find and talked to everyone I can about it. I have read all the stories about blown motors which made me VERY leary about using it.

I am pretty **** about my car and for darn sure don't want to blow it up. Simple economics tell me it is not cost effective to try to save a few hundred dollars and risk the thousands of dollars it could take to repair or replace a motor. I decided I wanted the best product and all reasonable safety items. I have talked to or e-mailed many vendors here. All seem to be good people, they all were helpful, and I have nothing against any of them.

I can be as cheap as anyone but I don't expect a $5.00 chineese tool to work as well or to last as long as a $20.00 snapon tool. In general you get what you pay for.

My decision was to go with Dave and NX. He went out of his way to help and answer many of my dumb questions. Dave has a business to run and needs to make money to stay in business. I really believe Dave will give you the best advice he can, drawing on his experience that most of us do not have. I don't think he would try to sell you anything just to make a buck if he did not think it to be a good product for the intended use. If he were doing this it would catch up with him and he would not have the reputation that he has.

I am not Dave's public relations person and Ihave no connection with Dave except as a customer, and my comments are just my opinoins.

Robert: You have a great site and I read your posts regularly on the boards.
You have a lot of knowledge and are very willing to share it with others.

If I ever to get to meet either of you I'll buy the beer.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:57 AM
FormerVendor

Robert,
Im deffintly going to buy you a beer someday.LOL But while we are sitting down having a good time we have to talk about something other than nitrous.LOL

I just want to get one thing out there.This has nothing to do with a propaganda that is presented.

We all know that I am the only Vendor on here that will straight out tell you the product I am suggesting is the BEST. Thats ok Ill accept that. Ever notice that many other companys try to compare there product to NXs trieng to get creditability off of there repatation for having the best quality and customer service. Does this sales pitch ring a bell. Just like NXs but cheaper. Even though its not they hope to push sales off of the fact that the customer does not have enough experience to flat out see the difference. People know that NX has the best quality out there....We all know that I am out spoken and say what I have to say. Im sure some do not like it but I do not care.. I still sleep very well at night.Well when I finnaly make it to bed>LOL

I have developed my opinion after years of nitrous research and looking at the product with a unbiased opinion. NX has the newest technology,the best quality, and the best customer service. I have developed this opinion through out time of dealing with different products and different companys. I do not consider NOSs part junk. I have used many of there products. I just do not consider them the best.

I have never bashed NOS. I have very openly stated I did not like there solenoids in the 5177. I have stated I did not care for a few products they offer due to them not meeting my quality standards or holding up through out time. That does not mean that I do not care for the company as a whole..
A track history will let you know also what is good and whats not.

My opinion is based on actual facts of product knowledge.That means I have used and looked at many products side by side. Yes I guess quality can be considered an opinion.But ones openion may be more knowledge achieved than the next. But its still a opinion right?
So my hole point is that I push a product that I can feel good about. IF someone wants my opion they know that I am not just picking a cheaper price system to sell to get a sell. I push what I know is the best. If I sell it great.If I dont no biggie I can still feel good about what I do.

Now I have never seen anyone scared to post what they run. That sounds crazy. Now you and I both know that someone from NOS has recently been watching the site. I hope this post has nothing to do with that. I have seen people run complete crap and brag about it not worrying what anyone else has to say.
Dave

Last edited by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet; 11-21-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:08 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SSDriver
After making a pass at the track I let off the gas and the motor was still running at 4k. I then put the car in neutral and the car was idling horrible and popping like crazy. I shut the car off and coasted to the return road. I could hear the nitrous flowing when I popped the hood, it was not a leak from any of the line's either. I immediately closed the bottled removed the nitrous line going to the 'y' for the noids to let the nitrous escape from the line's. I then pulled the plug for the coil harness off and cranked the motor over for like 20 seconds and put everything back how it was. Started the car up and it seems to run fine. It definitely scared the s$%@ out of me.

I'm going to do a full compression test on the motor before I attempt to run the car again. What compression should I see on a stock motor with 27k miles on it? I was thinking about rebuilding the noid but I am deciding if I should switch over to NX's new noids. How do they compare in quaility(reliability) to the NOS brand noids that I have? I don't want any more problems with them again. Also any of the sponsors have sale's on them right now (don't really have extra cash laying around)? Any suggestions/help on anything would be greatly appreciated.

-William
William,
I suggest picking a solenoid better than the oens in the 5177 kit. also if you are not using a nitrous filter it is a good idea to use one. THe NX solenoids have a screened filter built into the solenoid but a goo filter in the main feed line is a good thing to have also. I personally would rather go with a NX solenoid any day.
Dave
Old 11-21-2005, 11:08 AM
FormerVendor

Boy guys,
All this drinking beer talk is making me thirtsy.LOL
Dave
Old 11-21-2005, 11:32 AM
8 second mod

i started to read this thread, then saw it was like a novel. lol

to the original poster. your lucky!!!! great way to handle it tho.