Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

local z06 owners a couple of q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default local z06 owners a couple of q's

Here in the next month I will be selling the ta and getting a z06, but I was wondering, if there are any issues you run into day to day driving with it? anything that you dont like about it, or any area specific things that suck when driving it.

this one is specificaly for ramit, How hard is the electron blue to keep clean? thats the color i realy want out of all of them. thanks for the imput.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your kidding, right? You expect that there are horror stories in driving a Z versus an f-body everyday? Well there are! It is a totally better driving experience. I know some of the guys will argue here but NONE of them have driven a Z for 14k miles in less than a year up here and put 40k miles on a WS6 so I dismiss their whining when I say these things.

Question #1 on day to day issues. Answer - None. Better car than the fbody. Better MPG and lower insurance rates. Lets toss the BS issue of no back seat aside. (Besides, how many use the back seat everyday to tote kids anyway?)

Question #2 anything I don't like about it? This car is superior to the fbody but have not driven a car yet that can best the Z. That includes my 92 ZR1. It handles better, accellerates faster, and is more comfortable than my WS6. The BOSE stereo rocks, the active handling system is superb and all I need are some DR's to get in into the 12.2 range (or a willingness to beat the hell out of it). Did I mention that I get 22mpg avg commuting on I5 everyday with the AC one and stereo blasting with REAL leather seats? Oh yeah, and my insurance dropped.

Question #3 is electron blue easy to keep clean? There is no color that is easy to keep clean enough for me. I see everything on the paint. But this color beats the hell out of black. However, I usually wash my Z twice a week minimum. My neighbors think I am nuts but I just tell them they are jealous. Otherwise, they would have a Z and wash it everyday too.

I cannot express my pleasure with this car enough. I do miss the rawness of the WS6 looks but I really like the sexy lines of the Z better. Others will disagree on this but screw em. Its my money anyway. Do they compare? HELL, does a 3 series BMW compare to a 5? **** no! Different cars targeted at different people. Take one for a spin and see for yourself. Check out z06vette.com too.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:33 AM
TECH Junkie

I was going to say that I have but I don't drive mine quite that much, wish I did but I work from home

But the only thing I can think of is mine is pretty low so I have to be even more careful with it then the WS6 but I have rails on it so really the worst that can happen is a rail slid. Also I went to Fred Meyers to get some stuff and ended up doing some serious grocery shopping forgetting like a dumb *** that I had the vette. I had to have them hold the stuff while I went and go the truck

I've never gotten anywhere near the gas mileage Eric claims but I imagine we drive a little differently...lets just say I need to get to Starbucks ASAP I don't care for the stereo at all but with a partition its not as bad. The partition also takes alot of the road noise away as well. Getting in and out is easier than the F-body although the seats are not all that great for a car of this caliber. Headlight too suck on a car in this class.

As you can see I'm TRYING to find things wrong with it and it ain't easy I love the car I DO wish I could take the top off maybe I'll when the lottery and have a targa convertion done...

I'm not as in love with my car as Eric, let me rephrase that, I'm not as about ready to nut on my car as Eric But CLOSE!!! but I will give you the peice of advise a good vette tuner friend of mine told me.

"The F-body is a bad *** car and you can make em quick and handle good, but if you have the means get the C5"

I took that advise the following day and am at peice with my decision even though I had in my mind the best F-body combination possible WS6 SOM on Fikse's with lotsa mods....
Old 07-08-2005, 02:34 AM
Launching!

Thanks man, thats the answers i was looking for, ive looked over at z06vette.com too and lots of good info but i wanted a local perspective before i buy it and it looks like im gona have to go test drive it and make final sure. thanks a lot!
Old 07-08-2005, 02:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CATransam
Thanks man, thats the answers i was looking for, ive looked over at z06vette.com too and lots of good info but i wanted a local perspective before i buy it and it looks like im gona have to go test drive it and make final sure. thanks a lot!

Don't test drive one until you are ready to buy, because you'll buy it even if your not ready
Old 07-08-2005, 02:48 AM
Launching!

i was planning a twin turbo phamspeed kit for the ta but then ifound out that they stoped making them, so now i decided to get with a different program and start off with a better car. as much as i hate to admit it the z is a better car. thanks for all the imput.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:52 AM
Launching!

i was talking to a bud in cali who loves my car and he may buy it in august so i have to wait till then for budgetary reasons too (just flew my wifes mother over from south africa and we are a little strapped besides buying her a new car as well)
Old 07-09-2005, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

For back up I have all of my gas receipts where I document mileage, mpg, miles that tank and avg mph for that tank. I have a years worth of data. In rush hour traffic on I5 mainly between Lynnwood and Everett I would avg 22mpg at 28-30mph. As for being lowered, my Z is stock. The WS6 was lowered 1.5inches and was a pain in the *** to drive anywhere. Pull into a parking garage downtown, scrape. Into a parking lot, scrape. Speed bumps, scrape. I do not have any of these issues in the Z. None. As for buying groceries, Bobby don't even challenge me on that one. I have three kids and have no problem getting it done. But in fairness, this car is my commuter car that I drive to work everyday and have fun with. 99.9% of my driving is work related so I do not ask anything else of this car. Its comfortable, fast, handles like its on rails, get good mpg, costs less than the WS6. That all equals no brainer for me.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ram-it
For back up I have all of my gas receipts where I document mileage, mpg, miles that tank and avg mph for that tank. I have a years worth of data. In rush hour traffic on I5 mainly between Lynnwood and Everett I would avg 22mpg at 28-30mph. As for being lowered, my Z is stock. The WS6 was lowered 1.5inches and was a pain in the *** to drive anywhere. Pull into a parking garage downtown, scrape. Into a parking lot, scrape. Speed bumps, scrape. I do not have any of these issues in the Z. None. As for buying groceries, Bobby don't even challenge me on that one. I have three kids and have no problem getting it done. But in fairness, this car is my commuter car that I drive to work everyday and have fun with. 99.9% of my driving is work related so I do not ask anything else of this car. Its comfortable, fast, handles like its on rails, get good mpg, costs less than the WS6. That all equals no brainer for me.

I wasn't questioning it at all, I don't commute when I drive its usually for pleasure and I'm shifting at 5K at the least I'm sure if I got a few highway miles and some normal driving I could get 22mpg pretty easy and a road trip probably alot closer to 30mpg.

My WS6 was lowered the same as yours but I never had too many problems but then I don't go down town too much. I won't even drive the Z06 down there. I keep on thinking I should raise it up a bit but I hardly ever scrap anymore and I love the way it looks...

I was just messing with you Eric you know what I really think of my car, I'm just not as vocal about it as you are Hell I can hardly believe its mine. I still take it out just to go for drive at least 5 times a week after almost a year.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, I know Bobby. If you didn't give me a jab on this thread I would have thought something was wrong. I was just letting him know I can show him results from driving every day. I have it so bad that I sit in the garage and drink a beer while just looking at it. After really seeing the car for all the different angles I like the way it looks more and more. I miss the WS6 front view but this things profile is just killer. FYI, I just went for a coffee and had the lady in front of me and the girl at the stand drooling over it. It took her a good 2-3minutes to get my order. Never had that happen with my WS6. But then again, women think of cars in terms of $$ mainly.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Its true the Vette gets WAAAAAY more props by the average person then the F-body. I've caught quite a few young ladies checking me out...but then I realize its the car
Old 07-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Launching!

damn thats better milage in trafic than i could hope for with the ta, and i know all about scraping... i have SLP long tubes the milage is definitly a plus though and hearing i can actualy enter a parking lot and not worry about the bottom of the car coming off is also good news. thanks again guys for all the imput you have definitly answered my questions in more depth than i had hoped for.

Quick Reply: local z06 owners a couple of q's