Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to paint your brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to paint your brake calipers

Anyone know if there is a write up on this anywhere?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here you go hope this helps:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...-calipers.html
Old 10-21-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

put a question mark at the end next time, i always come into these things thinkin it's informational....
Old 10-26-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Duplicolor makes a paint kit that you can buy at a local auto parts store (that guide says to use engine enamel, which I tried first, and it flaked and chipped badly after 6 months+).

Don't use a paint brush though, buy the paint brushes at Warlmart that use the sponge for the tip and just paint it on after prep (you can be very detailed and accurate with these types of brushes too). The reason is that you may get hairs from the brush that pull out because the paint is very thick. They can get under the paint where you may not notice it, and cause the paint to chip at that point.

The prep part of that guide is good and saves you a lot of time if you don't want to remove them from the car.

Do A LOT of coats. Don't hold back. If you do only a few, it will chip if you don't hand wash your car every time. I've had to repaint mine three times because I was lazy and only did a few coats each time. This last time (hopefully for good) I did 6+ to each one over a weekend.

If that doesn't hold up, I'm just going to get them powder coated, heh.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

How do you take the calipers off the car? I want to do this soon
Old 10-27-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Regular

Install University has a guide on changing pads that would get you close enough I think.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

Under Install Documents > Brake Pad and Rotor Swap.

I think it just leaves the caliper's dangling by the brake line with support. So you may need to research crimping and removing the lines or something. Not really sure what you're supposed to do at that point ;)
Old 10-27-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would highly recommend you use 2 part Epoxy paint like G2 or Foliatec instead of engine enamel. The finish is comparable to powder coat, extremely durable and chemical resistant with a high gloss. It is a heat resistant caliper paint that is applied with a brush for around $40 (kit does at least a car and a half).
Old 10-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Motorboater

I love these threads 90% of calipers sent to me for coating have 5-6 coats of paint on them, chipping left and right which is why they got sent to me to strip, blast and powder coat.

I 100% respect that not everyone has or wants to spent the money to send them out for powder, but fact remains is unless you never drive the car, paint will turn to crap in short order, regardless of the prep, and just frustrate the hell out of you. Aluminum expands and contracts with heat..paint is brittle and cannot handle this, doesn't take long before it starts coming off.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Once I get new rotors and pads and decide on a different color my calipers will be sent to SilverGhost to get powdercoated. Save yourself some time and get them powdercoated. I painted mine a few years ago and they look like crap now.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
I love these threads 90% of calipers sent to me for coating have 5-6 coats of paint on them, chipping left and right which is why they got sent to me to strip, blast and powder coat.

I 100% respect that not everyone has or wants to spent the money to send them out for powder, but fact remains is unless you never drive the car, paint will turn to crap in short order, regardless of the prep, and just frustrate the hell out of you. Aluminum expands and contracts with heat..paint is brittle and cannot handle this, doesn't take long before it starts coming off.
Powder coat is definitely a nice option and for the price and quality of SilverGhost's work... If you have it in your budget and can lay the car up a bit, go for it.

2 part Epoxy Caliper paint hasn't chipped or flaked off my calipers and it has been on the car for 5 or 6 years back when the car was a DD. In fact it still has the same high gloss as it did when it was first done. They are sealed so well I don't take any special care to clean of wipe them down because dirt/dust doesn't stick to the finish.

I would also consider doing the brackets a different color than the calipers. I have seen SilverGhost do it and have done them this way as well and I think it gives even more of a custom look.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Motorboater

Don't have to have the car laid up. I have an exchange program. I ship a set of calipers and brackets coated and ready to install, and you ship yours back Can even come with fresh GM rebuilds installed for $100 extra, like new calipers.

DriftR--fact of the matter is most people don't understand, or care, to do the prep work right. Prep is everything regardless of coating. I've had plenty of sets come through here with the two part on them that was coming off all over. Its like the guys who expoxy their garage floors and don't do anything more than sweep it off first, and the epoxy comes up the first time they pull their car in. Prep is the hard part, hell its 90% of my day every day in here, actually laying powder is the smallest time spent.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't have to have the car laid up. I have an exchange program. I ship a set of calipers and brackets coated and ready to install, and you ship yours back Can even come with fresh GM rebuilds installed for $100 extra, like new calipers.
Good to know!

DriftR--fact of the matter is most people don't understand, or care, to do the prep work right. Prep is everything regardless of coating. I've had plenty of sets come through here with the two part on them that was coming off all over. Its like the guys who expoxy their garage floors and don't do anything more than sweep it off first, and the epoxy comes up the first time they pull their car in. Prep is the hard part, hell its 90% of my day every day in here, actually laying powder is the smallest time spent.
I hear ya!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

what are your prices for all 4 brake calipers in red?

any info on the d1sc camaro in your sig? cubes/boost/trans?
Old 10-31-2009, 09:56 AM
Motorboater

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
what are your prices for all 4 brake calipers in red?

any info on the d1sc camaro in your sig? cubes/boost/trans?

All 4 calipers and brackets any colors you want, $220 shipped to the lower 48..if you send yours or do the exchange, price is the same. Includes complete dissasembly and inspection of wear parts, blasting, coating, and complete re-assembly. Fresh GM rebuilds installed for $100 is an option with me as well if you want the caliper like new again.

On the car..its a 347 motor, not built for boost with too much compression. 13 lbs of boost in nice cool air, TH400 trans with 4500 converter and a brake. 3:73 gear in a 12 bolt and a PST aluminum DS. Small cam, ls6 intake, hand ported LS6 heads. Goes ok for a street car at 3400 raceweight. be alot faster if i didn't have to tune around the compression being too high, and leaned on the boost.

Quick Reply: How to paint your brake calipers