Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Full repaint cost?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Full repaint cost?

Well I was hoping to get my WS6 repainted for relatively cheap as my gf has a friend with a body shop. Has fixed damage and painted a lot of family cars over the years for 50% or less of normal costs.

Brought my car over today to see what he could do. There's no damage besides rock chips on the front. Came up with $3,500 for same color the car is now, $4,500 for a color change.

To me that sounds outrageous. Not paying close to 50% or more on what I paid for the car for a paint job. I'm not after show quality, just decent looking.

Know its going to vary by location, but what are you guys paying for a full repaint using the same color? New color?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am also looking for a good paint job store. I've seen numbers as high as 4k and I'm like, yah, not so much. lol
Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by xX-Z28-Xx
I am also looking for a good paint job store. I've seen numbers as high as 4k and I'm like, yah, not so much. lol
Yea I could see spending that much on cars worth 30k+.

Think I'd be afraid to drive my TA spending that much on it. Seems like every time I wash my cars there are new scratches and **** I notice.

I had a Mazda back in '04 that I had just exterior repainted from beige to a navy blue metallic. Was done at Earl Scheib for $500 or maybe less. Looked perfectly fine to me, no fuckups in the paint.

Maybe I'll take my z28 there for a cheap job, see how it turns out.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

i used to work in a small time shop that did some painting, that is a mid to high price, same color if its black i wouldnt pay more than 2k-2500. new color can range alot if your talking about a full repaint or just outside etc.... same color is easy as long as the paint isnt too awful.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not experienced at all in car paint, I can't imagine that much paint can cost $2000. Is it the labor or the detail that adds that heavy amount?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Launching!

If you find a small shop thats trying to make a name for itself. You wouldnt be pay more then 1800 to 2000.For same color high quality paint job that you will be very happy with!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by improved1
i used to work in a small time shop that did some painting, that is a mid to high price, same color if its black i wouldnt pay more than 2k-2500. new color can range alot if your talking about a full repaint or just outside etc.... same color is easy as long as the paint isnt too awful.
Yea there's a recent thread in the western section of a local guy with a ws6 full black repaint like I want that was done for $2,300. Seems like a bargain after my quote.

Originally Posted by xX-Z28-Xx
I'm not experienced at all in car paint, I can't imagine that much paint can cost $2000. Is it the labor or the detail that adds that heavy amount?
Well apparently that's what was costing so much according to this body shop. They only do insurance claims except for friends/family, but he said they can only use PPG or Dupont paints, which cost like $2,000+ just for the paint.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think by your avatar your WS6 is black?? 2000 just for paint, i dont think so.

but as for your 3500 quote for an overall yeah, thats about on the money, people dont realize how much time and labor is in an overall, doing ALL the R&I's taking the bumpers off, sanding and prepping everything then paint then reassemble.

is your paint perfect besides the rock chips? theres no peeling or anything, any where else on the body? any thing is going to have to be fixed

you can probably find someone who will paint it for less, but chances are they wont do the R&I's.....then in a year or two when all the edges that they couldnt sand because they didnt take anything off start peeling your not going to be a happy camper

why a whole spray in the first place, why not just do the nose or wherever the rock chips are?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine is in the shop right now & i am looking at $3000 for the same color,SOM.

they did take everything off.........
door handles,mirrors,rubber trim,headlights & running lights,spoiler,antenna,rims & tires & front & rear fascia.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, that's a really low quote. IF it's being done correctly and completely, the color shouldn't matter. That just means they're leaving stock paint wherever they can to save money if the factory color costs less.

Labor is well over half the cost of a repaint. To do it all, and correctly, you're going to break 5k easy at a good shop.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

Dang that's crazy. I'm not looking to get factory finish, think $1,500-$2,000 would be the most I'd be willing to spend. More than that just seems too disproportionate to invest based on car value.

Main reason I want to get it painted is the clear coat is peeling all over the hood and rock chips on the front and other chips in the doors from ******** in parking lots.

The hood is the only thing that looks bad from more than a few feet, so may just get it painted for $500. Never been into keeping appearances pristine, just enjoy driving them on the weekend, so rather put that money towards a turbo etc.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

The paint and the materials cost a few hundred. Some of those rolls of tape cost a lot more then you think. Think of the time it takes to mask everything off, to remove molding and then you still have to prep the surface for paint. You have to clean the area you are working in so dust and dirt doesn't kick up onto a wet surface.
Plus the cost to mix the paint, spray the car (the electric cost for the compressor, and the lighting)..
then clearing it, and paint correction as your wet sanding.

The most important part is.. the profit factor. no one wants to do all that work to break even. I know most people won't like to pay that much.. but, i have seen $800 paint jobs that look like they were done with a spray can.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You get what you pay for.
In the same area (cities, ect.) about 99% of the time, prices in the same range will yield similar quality work. I'd hate to see what a $1000 paint job would look like after a couple years
Old 01-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Launching!

I've had a quote from a guy here in NC (obviously not your region) with a new sail panel (if I ever get a new one), having that installed by the painter and all body work would be around 6K. I did ask for more flake in the paint and 5 more coats of clear.

Quotes for paint jobs will be different for the different regions of the US, so take the 6K with a grain of salt.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

I do paint and bodywork for a living, mostly the old muscle cars. Just remember that good **** aint cheap and cheap **** aint good. that 1,000 dollar paint job mite look great at first but dont bitch when you go to the car wash and blow it all off.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

If you are apt enough with sand paper and know what you are doing, you can save a decent amount of money by doing alot of the prep and teardown yourself. That's what I'm doing. When it's all said and done I'm just paying them to spray the paint

Quick Reply: Full repaint cost?