Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Shaving key holes

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shaving key holes

Getting ready to paint the TA and I couldn't decide what to do about the key holes. Leave them black or paint them? After a little thought I decided I never use them so why even have them? I have a spare key fob and if need be I can always get in through the hatch.

Remove door panels and remove lock cylinders by pulling the U clip off the back. Back with ART(Metal tape). Scuff insides of recess on outside of door panel and fill with epoxy. I used 3M automix SMC adhesive. Allow to dry and block sand.

A little body filler and some more block sanding.

Then mask and primer. I did some work on the quarters too.

Still a week or two before paint but I think it looks pretty alright.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Both sides are done but the right side is against a wall so I couldnt take effective pictures. And yes the primer went on way screwed up. Used a cheapo gun I keep at home and I guess it got some oil or something in it. I'll block it out and put a few more coats on at work. Going to leave the door trim off and paint the Trans AM emblems flat black before putting them back on.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks clean.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

If you have a dead battery how do you get in the car?
Old 12-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Same as the vette... through the hatch. Granted I don't have the manual handles in the trunk, I'd have to shimmy up to the front. But I'm a skinny dude so it's no problem. Also my car is rarely locked anyway. It stays in the garage at home and I pretty much only take it to work.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whytryz28
If you have a dead battery how do you get in the car?
That's what I was thinking at first, but I forgot like he said, he didn't shave the hatch keyhole so just climb through the hatch.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car haspins in the hood, battery in hatch, but shaved rear camaro panel, still thinking of doing this, lol
Old 12-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about doing this but I found out that tracks don't really like this mod
Old 12-21-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Super Speed
I thought about doing this but I found out that tracks don't really like this mod
True story^^^^. I was going to shave the handles on a local racers drag car and i pointed out to him that it may be illegal. Looked it up and shur enough, unless the vehicle comes standard with it ( C6 vettes) Then shaved handled cars cant go down the track.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

I did this to my old camaro and it turned out HORRIBLE. I used fiberglass, like the door is made of, and piled it up and through the hole. I finished it with some light weight body filler. I let it dry/cure for a week or 3 before I took it to the body shop. Once they primed it I got to take a good look at the car. I looked perfect but once they painted it you could see an outline of where the fiberglass was.

I figured fiberglass on a fiberglass door would do the trick but it turns out you have to use SMC fiberglass like the door is made of and heat both the door and the piece you fab in so it will cure together.

Pain in the *** and not worth the hastle. Since you are already this far along in the project maybe some one more experienced in this matter can chime in and let you know if what you did here will hold or not. Hope all works out for you, mine sure didn't.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alex41
I did this to my old camaro and it turned out HORRIBLE. I used fiberglass, like the door is made of, and piled it up and through the hole. I finished it with some light weight body filler. I let it dry/cure for a week or 3 before I took it to the body shop. Once they primed it I got to take a good look at the car. I looked perfect but once they painted it you could see an outline of where the fiberglass was.

I figured fiberglass on a fiberglass door would do the trick but it turns out you have to use SMC fiberglass like the door is made of and heat both the door and the piece you fab in so it will cure together.

Pain in the *** and not worth the hastle. Since you are already this far along in the project maybe some one more experienced in this matter can chime in and let you know if what you did here will hold or not. Hope all works out for you, mine sure didn't.
Yes if you mate 2 unlike materials odds are they will expand at different rates in the heat, or sun and you will get a halo.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackWS666
True story^^^^. I was going to shave the handles on a local racers drag car and i pointed out to him that it may be illegal. Looked it up and shur enough, unless the vehicle comes standard with it ( C6 vettes) Then shaved handled cars cant go down the track.
Whats the reason for this? Is it a safety issue or something?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

our tracks heresay no shaved handles not shaved key holes, i understand the handles but most tracks shouldnt care about the key hole
Old 12-22-2011, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im assuming it has something to do with if the needed to get the vehicle open because you were in a accident/fire and couldnt yourself.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Yea it will hold. I do this for a living. No need for someone more experienced to chime in. No offence, I work at a body shop. I used 3m automix SMC adhesive, like I always do on fiberglass, and evercoat filler over it.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Good deal. I just re read the original post and saw SMC on there. I totally missed that one.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Looks good

Quick Reply: Shaving key holes