Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Are there real body shops anymore? Monkeys and my car!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there real body shops anymore? Monkeys and my car!!!!

I have a white 2000 Camaro SS. I had a thread here about my door corner being broke. That front fender had also been backed into. My insurance said they would pay for it so I took it into their recommended shop.

They replaced the fender with a new "GM Fender" according to the guy. The estimate was to re skin the door but they replaced the whole thing with a used door. I dropped it off Sunday night so they had it first thing Monday. They called Tuesday to tell me it was done.

I went to pick it up and and was just sick. The "new paint" is full of swirls. The door paint was full of "dirt". Nothing was lined up, looked like a blind guy bolted everything on. Half the door was covered in dried rubbing compound or overspray, don't know. There were hard lines or runs. They didn't even try to "blend" the paint. He even told me they sprayed the parts off the car. They stand out like a sore thumb. I wouldn't take the car so they could fix it. The next day it was ready again.

I picked the car up last night. Still not happy. Paint still full of swirls. They lined everything up way better but not perfect. Door, fender, bumper, and hood. Still no blending. Still crap in the paint.

The power window is all screwed up now. The motor is loud like it's burned up. I think they gave me the used motor from the other door. When it goes down there is a metal clicking noise and when it goes up there's a loud glass bang, something's hitting it. It is loose also. I can rock it in and out several inches and it rocks left and right also. Junk! When I dropped it off the window was smooth, tight and quit.

Here's a video. Gives a little idea of how loose the window is. Also a picture of the SS badge they said is no longer available. They re used mine. Give it a look to see the kind of work these hacks do. I'm so pissed that I don't even want the car anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td2Yb...56AUAAAAAAAAAA

Last edited by Q3131A; 04-08-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the s on the ss emblem is upside down i think
Old 04-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jsteele90
Yep, and not lined up worth a crap.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsteele90
it is.

that's pretty pathetic. i would keep telling them to fix it until it was absolutely near perfect.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like they did a crappy job... that being said. When it comes to gm new parts. Ive seen some defects... but better than repros. Honestly, i would rather have a used door over a skin.... but they should have reused your internals... The loose window is two tabs and the top of the door. They brace the window.. They are either broken or loose.. common... real easy to fix. Just pull the door panel off and your will see.. when they're new... there a gold anodized color with felts on the edge where is braces the window... When it comes to blending... If the insurance company bided it, they should have added blend time.... especially bc its white... its a hard color match.. artic white is not white as most believe... there are colors such as a touch of red in that white.. If the blend time isnt on the bid.. then thats why they didnt do it. If it is then i would make them blend. When it comes to the ss... picture says a thousand words..... hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The tabs would fix the in and out movement, but not the back and forward movement. I think they are a few bolts loose. There are a few adjustments in the door... I would ask them how many miles where on that door... maybe they put your parts in that door and forgot to tighten all the bolts lol
Old 04-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Holy upside down S! Wow that's pretty bad, I would complain till they get it right and if they don't do anything about it complain to the insurance since they recomended that shop.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

An insurance company's recommended shop more often than not means that those particular shops suck the insurance company's dicks and do everything they say - mostly getting cars out fast so that they don't have to pay for rental cars or extra storage fees. They don't care too much about quality. Next time, take it to a shop that you've researched and does quality work. Regardless of whether or not it's on their recommended list, they can't tell you that you can't have it repaired there. If they do, check your states laws, it's illegal in some states.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

Make sure they get it right, but Marc3.4V6 is right part of it is the insurance co. and still alot is the shop. I work at a direct repair shop for several insurance company's. We do what is nessasary to repair the car right though, we just supplement for what isn't on the insurance estimate. Raise enough hell and they get it right or get your insurance to pay to have it repaired right at another shop. Body shops have to kiss up but shouldn't sacrifice quality.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's the left one that's inverted I think.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, I know about the fuzzy slides but point is, it's not my job to adjust them.

I took the door apart to see what I could do. I adjusted the window and took out the back and forth slop. As for the left to right, I couldn't do anything. The wheels that roll inside the track look worn at their spinning point. There are plastic nipples on glass mounts, picture below, that catch at window full up. The other is broke off.

I cleaned the crap out of the window and it has scratches.

The motor is still loud and goes faster than my other window. Didn't do that before. Also the rivets that hold it in don't look new.

They gave me the junk yard internals and that pisses me off.

I found the noise when the window goes down. The speaker wire has a clip on it that wasn't put through the hole in door. When window went down it was catching that clip and wires. I fixed that. Speaking of speakers, this thing is all rusted up. I doubt it's mine also. The nuts didn't show signs of being touched. Long story but my stereo isn't working so I don't even know if the speaker works. I have the Monsoon upgrade. Anyone know what model number the speaker should be?

I did a light rubbing on, I guess dried compound on the door, and got it off. Picture below.

I want to try and drive in there to ask for my old door to see if my internals are still in there. As for the SS, anyone know where I can buy them? I'll gladly pay for new ones and install them myself.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

I read reviews of all the shops around. This was the highest rated.

The car has been damaged over a year. I've been scared to take it in knowing this kind of crap would happen.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Launching!

Location: Weatherford Tx 76085 corner of N. Hwy 51 and 150 Green branch Rd.

Amazing how they are in that line of business!

What ever that rolls out of our shop is always our very best effort, because in the end its the work that does the talking, not a bunch of paper work! Every car deserves quality work no matter what it is.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

hard to tell whats happening in that last picture, either bad solvent pop or the clear was wetsanded and not buffed enough.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its a shame that they call this paint job "professionally done".

My car needs 2 dents pulled and complete respray, I'm also concerned that it may come back worse than it went in.

If this is paid for by your insurance company, then definitely hang em high for it.
Don't accept no as an answer.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

I called this morning. They said bring it in and they'll fix the SS badges.

I asked about my internals. He said everything is mine except the door shell. That's how they roll, strip everything and replace it. I gave him all the details that tell me this isn't my stuff. I also explained the fact I had the door apart to fix several things myself. He insisted it was all my original internals. I also looked at the breakdown and they charged for changing everything out along with replacing and painting the door trim that no longer exists.

I told him I'd drop it off in a day or 2 so they can fix the SS. Plan was to take the door panel off again so I could point out a few things and also ask to see my old door.

About a half an hour later he called me back. He said after talking to me he decided to look into it. Turns out the "technician" didn't change over the window regulator so I was correct. He said he would have it changed out. He said nothing about my window or speaker but I'm sure it's all still in my old door. I'll find out tomorrow.

I was pissed after the first call but felt vindicated after the second. I'm not sure if he lied to me but second thought it after I called them out or if the technician just took a shortcut thinking most people don't notice. Either way, back for the 3rd time.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Its a shame that they call this paint job "professionally done".

My car needs 2 dents pulled and complete respray, I'm also concerned that it may come back worse than it went in.
Don't say that!! lol Mine is currently in the shop being resprayed, engine compartment sprayed & cleared. That sux for you OP, but don't let up 'til they get it to your satisfaction and it is correct. If mine doesn't come out right, it's money out of my pocket, no ins. involved, and I will be going off.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Just out of curiousity, does the estimate that your insurance provided have all of the repairs that were supposed to get done on it?

Most times when a shop uses a used door, the insurance company doesn't want to pay the "double" time that it takes to remove all of the components from your old door and put them in the new door AFTER they have removed the old parts from the used door.

Before you hang the shop, make sure its not the insurance company that is the problem. I'm not saying the shop has any excuses in this case, as this is not acceptable, but if your insurance is trying to screw the shop, they aren't going to go the extra mile to get your car right cause they aren't being compensated properly. I would look over the estimate and make sure that there are line entries for all of the things you wanted done. The paint might not be blended because the insurance company wouldn't pay for it.

Look into it, but either way, looks like an amateur was working on your car.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SPDEMON
Just out of curiousity, does the estimate that your insurance provided have all of the repairs that were supposed to get done on it?

Most times when a shop uses a used door, the insurance company doesn't want to pay the "double" time that it takes to remove all of the components from your old door and put them in the new door AFTER they have removed the old parts from the used door.

Before you hang the shop, make sure its not the insurance company that is the problem. I'm not saying the shop has any excuses in this case, as this is not acceptable, but if your insurance is trying to screw the shop, they aren't going to go the extra mile to get your car right cause they aren't being compensated properly. I would look over the estimate and make sure that there are line entries for all of the things you wanted done. The paint might not be blended because the insurance company wouldn't pay for it.

Look into it, but either way, looks like an amateur was working on your car.
Yes, I said it just above. The R&I work is on the estimate.

I could care less either way. Give me my old door and I'll change everything out myself. I could do a better job. I don't want some burned up motor, out of wack mechanism, probably blown speaker, and scratched up glass.

Point is they were paid to do it, they told me they did, then I called them on it and they admitted they didn't.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Ha. I got my axle housing replaced on an insurance claim once. Well, it was supposed to just be the housing (and I think one of the axles, if memory serves). A few months later I realize that they just swapped my whole rear end with a rear from a junker. My factory limited-slip was gone, and replaced with a open rear from an auto (so the ratio was way lower too). Had to go through a bit of work to get them to even admit they did anything wrong. The kicker? All this work was done at a GM dealer...

At least I ended up getting a brand-new detroit truetrac out of it...

Quick Reply: Are there real body shops anymore? Monkeys and my car!!!!