Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Help with rattle can painting

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with rattle can painting

I am repainting parts on a corvette, one part at a time, i have sanded all the parts down and they are perfectly smooth, the next step is primer.

What type and why?

Then what type of paint and why?

Then clear?

Do I spray primer, sand, then paint, then wet sand the paint, repaint, wetsand, repaint,wet sand, then clear, wet sand, clear, wetsand, clear, wet sand?

Please help me out here.

The car is gonna be black.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thosewhohatedmecreat
I am repainting parts on a corvette, one part at a time, i have sanded all the parts down and they are perfectly smooth, the next step is primer.

What type and why?

Then what type of paint and why?

Then clear?

Do I spray primer, sand, then paint, then wet sand the paint, repaint, wetsand, repaint,wet sand, then clear, wet sand, clear, wetsand, clear, wet sand?

Please help me out here.

The car is gonna be black.
Your probibly going to need different paints for different parts.. What kind of parts are you talking about here? Vynal.. metal.. plastic..

If you included the parts that your going to paint, or at least as many parts as you possibly can, I would probibly be able to help you out and if not, others would be able to also.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

your not going to rattle can the whole car are you?

prime first, then sand the primer, apply paint let dry, if its gritty or has alot of dirt you can sand it with some fine paper, apply more paint, let dry, then clear. rattle can paint only last so long and doesn't have much of a shine compared to a real basecoat/clearcoat paint job. good luck. take your time and be patient.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am painting aluminum and fiberglass... a little plastic. I am gonna rattle the whole car
Old 08-22-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by skinbrain
your not going to rattle can the whole car are you?

prime first, then sand the primer, apply paint let dry, if its gritty or has alot of dirt you can sand it with some fine paper, apply more paint, let dry, then clear. rattle can paint only last so long and doesn't have much of a shine compared to a real basecoat/clearcoat paint job. good luck. take your time and be patient.
So I only wet sand the primer? I was told I wet sand the paint, and the clear... hmmm
Old 08-22-2007, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

The method you described in your first post was exactly the method I did when painting my motorcycle. I get complements all the time on the bike. The only thing that I would tell you is that the colors from can to can are sometimes a little off, thankfully you said you were going black, so it should not be that far off.

Take your time and goodluck with a little hard work it will definatley come out nice.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BeemerZ28
The method you described in your first post was exactly the method I did when painting my motorcycle. I get complements all the time on the bike. The only thing that I would tell you is that the colors from can to can are sometimes a little off, thankfully you said you were going black, so it should not be that far off.

Take your time and goodluck with a little hard work it will definatley come out nice.
Awesome... Thanks.

But what type of paint did you use?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

duplicolor makes good stuff just make sure you get the clear to match. for example if you get an enamal paint get an enamal clear. you'll be fine just make sure you sand the primer so it is perfectly smooth. it has to be smooth to the touch and more importantly it has to look smooth. don't leave any pits at all they will show up big time when you shine the paint up.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Launching!

are you seriously painting an entire car? I need pic for this....i have primed an old nissan truck with rattle can and it held up for a long time but never actually color coated one...
Old 08-23-2007, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by johnson7454
are you seriously painting an entire car? I need pic for this....i have primed an old nissan truck with rattle can and it held up for a long time but never actually color coated one...
+1 to the pic..

Quick Reply: Help with rattle can painting