PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there free datalogging software??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Is there free datalogging software??

I've just started geting into LS1 tuning but I've been tuning LT1s and earlier fuel injected SBCs for a couple years. For every engine I've tuned I've been able to find some sort of free datalogging software, but no matter where I look I can't find an LS1 datalogger for under ~$200. What gives? Am I looking in the wrong spot or are people getting stinger with the more current software?
Old 01-06-2009, 01:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to my knowledge however we offer a scanner only package for your application http://www.hptuners.com/order.php with upgrade paths to our full tuning suite.

-Bill
Old 01-06-2009, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
I've just started geting into LS1 tuning but I've been tuning LT1s and earlier fuel injected SBCs for a couple years. For every engine I've tuned I've been able to find some sort of free datalogging software, but no matter where I look I can't find an LS1 datalogger for under ~$200. What gives? Am I looking in the wrong spot or are people getting stinger with the more current software?
What about auto tap? I'm not too sure how expensive though. I do know the ne LM2 wideband controller by innovate logs a few channels of OBD2, the wideband sensor, plus a few 0-5v analog inputs. It uses logworks software which isint as fancly looking a HPT but has some neat features that are very useful. The log software is free but the wideband controller will set you back 460.00

I will say as an HPT customer hands down they have best customer service IMO, listen to foff667 (Bill) He knows his stuff! HPT has all kinds of really sweet features that other tuning software doesnt.

Last edited by WS6HUMMER; 01-06-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

If I choose the scanner and then moved on to the full package, would it cost anymore than just buying the full suite outright?

I've been looking at pcmforless, madz28, and other mail order tuners to see how they go about go tuning. I couldn't find any info about sending them a datalog file, so I'm assuming they have off the shelf tunes they use for cars that are stock, bolt on, cam, ect.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes, its much more cost effective to purchase the full suite up front.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

WS6HUMMER, any idea if that freeware will work with the stock narrowbands, or is it only for wideband 02s? Would you happen to have a link to a download page?
Old 01-06-2009, 01:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I think the LM2 will scan generic obd2 parameters, our software scans generic as well as enhanced pid's.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

WS6HUMMER, any idea if that freeware will work with the stock narrowbands, or is it only for wideband 02s? Would you happen to have a link to a download page?

No, you must buy their controller to use it. Honestly I would highly reccoment the HPT EIO Pro, like Bill said its much more effective and I love the stand alone data logging. You wont regret it, their software is almost limitless.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The issue with OBDII, unlike OBD1, is that the laptop to car interfaces aren't "open", and they're a lot more complicated. So in order to write the software, you have to write it specifically for the interface electronics.

For example, EFILive started with the AutoTap interface. They hacked at the serial protocols for a while by themselves, and then finally the AutoTap people realized that EFILive guys were on to something, so they partnered up and now look at things. AutoTap as software, well, sucked at the time, and EFILive was certainly a notch above. The DOS version of AutoTap was OK, but the Windows AutoTap was terrible (at the time).

Basically, the hardware is what has kept the lock on the software. That, and the significant development effort behind making a scan tool. Just about anyone can make an OBDII tool that pulls generic parameters, those are easy and cheap (look at Elmscan for example, or the tools from Multiplex Engineering). But the real value and meat is in the enhanced / manufacturer-specific parameters - and that is where the cost in software development happens. If all you want to know is a few basic engine parameters (like RPM, temperature, O2 sensor, etc), generics are fine. But if you want stuff like misfire, knock retard, etc - you'll need enhanced.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Thank you for the explanation, I think I've just been spoiled by the massvie thirdgen and LT1 fan based software. Sounds like the complexity of LSX systems requies a massive amount of development overhead that somebody has to pay for. Looks as if I'm going to have to pony up the clams.

I feel like one of those old guys who remembers when a gallon of milk only cost a nickel. For $100 I had all the hardware and software to tune my OBD1 LT1 . For the price, I'm hoping the functionality of HPT and EFILive will blow me away, I've been hearing good things.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Launching!

I just purchased HP Tuner today. I have no experience with it, but I've heard nothing but good from a lot of people.

Auto Tap sucks. I even have the extended? version where I can see the misfires and etc. Worst money I've spent, IMO... I'm hoping that HP Tuner will do everything that Auto Tap will, and then off load it to someone else
Old 01-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by foff667
Not to my knowledge however we offer a scanner only package for your application http://www.hptuners.com/order.php with upgrade paths to our full tuning suite.

-Bill

Bill
I looked at the scan package, it says it can send commands, can it send the crank learn command or do you have to buy the programming version to do that.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes case learns can be performed via our scanner & do not need editing software to do so.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the explanation, I think I've just been spoiled by the massvie thirdgen and LT1 fan based software. Sounds like the complexity of LSX systems requies a massive amount of development overhead that somebody has to pay for. Looks as if I'm going to have to pony up the clams.

I feel like one of those old guys who remembers when a gallon of milk only cost a nickel. For $100 I had all the hardware and software to tune my OBD1 LT1 . For the price, I'm hoping the functionality of HPT and EFILive will blow me away, I've been hearing good things.
You can Down load EFILives software from here... http://www.efilive.com/

It is the full version of the most current soft ware that will run in demo mode until you get the registration code for it. You still need the interface cable to use it, but it has sample tunes and logs for you to look at and see what you can do with the software. Have a look
Old 01-07-2009, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If your after a standalone data logger EFI LIVE is the best bar none. Data display on the LCD screen, ability to log multiple analogue, thermocouple and serial devices and with a 2GB SD card in the V2 allows months of logging to be saved.

Quick Reply: Is there free datalogging software??