Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So my local shop ....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So my local shop ....

Alright this isn't a how to kind of thing, so I don't know if its in the right place I just want to see if I am getting bent over or what.

I already have HPTuners Pro. My local shop says they will MAF tune my car for $350 not to bad but to do SD which is what I have it set up for they want to charge me $600 plus keep the car 3-5 days, the guy said anyone doing SD just on the dyno dont know what they are doing.

Whats your input on that. The price seems steep to me and I know the car needs to be driven to be put in different modes but I have never read a thread of any other shop keeping a car to do it, plus he said I would have to have it re-tuned 2 times a year when it gets cold and when it warms back up and that when the weather changes it will run bad, like more humidity and stuff ...

Your opinions please?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless it is a dyno that can hold a load-point, it's
not very much use for general airflow accuracy
work. I can see needing to have the car for a
while, especially if you have to "road dyno" it.

Seems like a lot of dough for things you could go
at, a couple of hours a weekend, and get done.
Plus being familiar with it will make the seasonal
tweaks that much less a problem.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$500-600 is about right for a really good SD tune. I like to have the car for two days so I can get enough cold start data. It is nice to have the vehicle there for a broad range of coolant and air temps also. If it is tuned correctly and the coolant and air temp correction is takin care of you should never have to bring it back. Should run great all year long after a proper SD tune.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, keep them coming.

I talked to the guy a few min ago he said he would do $500 cus it has a small cam and a little turbo, and it should only take about 3 days which isn't a big deal to me cus I don't drive the car during the week anyway. I am a little worried about getting a start up tune though, I want to be sure nothing is leaking before I take it to him and waste anyone's time or money.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

(stupid puter)
Old 09-10-2009, 04:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything he told you sounds tight except for the part about it needing to be retuned several times a year. Make sure you research whom you are trusting your setup with.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:14 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You already own hptuners pro, buy an ngk wideband and tune the thing yourself. If he tunes it in open loop SD I could see it needing to be retuned for weather possibly as its not easy to tune the cylinder charge temperature tables. If its put in Closed loop SD and your o2 sensors work correctly you will be fine.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
You already own hptuners pro, buy an ngk wideband and tune the thing yourself. If he tunes it in open loop SD I could see it needing to be retuned for weather possibly as its not easy to tune the cylinder charge temperature tables. If its put in Closed loop SD and your o2 sensors work correctly you will be fine.
I already have a wideband too o2s work just fine too. Just to scared to jump on it myself being the stock bottom end and all .. And I really haven't been able to get anyone to tell me how to change me OS from the factory one to a SD one, dont know if I have to buy that or what.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Slow SS
I already have a wideband too o2s work just fine too. Just to scared to jump on it myself being the stock bottom end and all .. And I really haven't been able to get anyone to tell me how to change me OS from the factory one to a SD one, dont know if I have to buy that or what.
The OS is the easy part. Click the "OS" button up at the top left, choose your COS, in your case it would be 2 bar SD, then apply, save, reopen, and do a full flash. You're now ready to tune in SD. Oh yeah, don't forget your 2 bar MAP sensor.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your crazy paying someone money to tune your car if you already have all the tools to do it yourself....
Old 09-11-2009, 04:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AutomagicLS1
Your crazy paying someone money to tune your car if you already have all the tools to do it yourself....
That just made me laugh.

Some people just don't want to tune there own car,expecially the ignitial tune on a turbo car.

We charge $600 for a 2 bar SD tune and want the car for 2-3 days too. Street tuning all part throttle tables is better than doing it on a load dyno( we own a load dyno)
Old 09-11-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, so what do I need to click and change in my factory tune to get it flashed for SD and get it to start up?

I know it is a different OS and I know I will need to scale the injectors .. what do I have to do to change OS?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

. .
Old 09-11-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
That just made me laugh.

Some people just don't want to tune there own car,expecially the ignitial tune on a turbo car.

We charge $600 for a 2 bar SD tune and want the car for 2-3 days too. Street tuning all part throttle tables is better than doing it on a load dyno( we own a load dyno)
The hesitance people have in doing their own tuning makes me laugh. So what if it's a turbo car. Would you remain a virgin just because your first timer was a supermodel? The worst that can happen is a premature blow-up, in which case you learn what to different the next time.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gametech
The hesitance people have in doing their own tuning makes me laugh. So what if it's a turbo car. Would you remain a virgin just because your first timer was a supermodel? The worst that can happen is a premature blow-up, in which case you learn what to different the next time.
some of us are in college and on our own and dont have the money to learn from our mistakes right now ..
Old 09-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Your best bet would be to spend a good amount of time on HPTuners forum, learn, learn and learn some more. $500-600 to do a SD tune with a turbo, if that includes the license is good, takes a LOT of time.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eagle Performance
Your best bet would be to spend a good amount of time on HPTuners forum, learn, learn and learn some more. $500-600 to do a SD tune with a turbo, if that includes the license is good, takes a LOT of time.
Does not include license .. I already have that. But I would like to get the startup tune done myself since the guy doing it will be out of town all weekend.

Need to be pointed in the right direction .. see above
Old 09-12-2009, 04:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The help files should get you started. Atleast check out hptuners.com even the online help section has some demos on how to create a custom operating system.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gametech
This has to be the absolute worst possible advice I have seen on this forum.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02SS
This has to be the absolute worst possible advice I have seen on this forum.
I take it you're first time, wasn't a supermodel LOL
Personally, I'd get a mail order tune from somebody like Frost and tune from there.