Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STUMPED?? 02 sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default STUMPED?? 02 sensor issue

Not too sure where to put this but here it goes anyway. About a month ago I started tearing out the tranny to have it rebuilt and do a new clutch etc etc. I finished it all up a few days ago and took it out for a spin. The next day the car started jerking and heistating really bad and I got a SES light, and my Autometer A/F guage stopped reading all together. I had it scanned and it was a bank 1 o2 sensor. So I went home pulled the plugs on the driver side and they were all fouled. So I assumed I needed a new 02.

Well tonight I proceeded to change all of the plugs and my buddie came over with 4 02s that he had laying around from his car. Still in good shape mind you. I swaped one in and the car still runs like **** and my A/F guage still isnt reading at all, it will flash occasionally but thats it. I tried a couple more sensors and still the same thing. Oh BTW this is the front sensor since I have LTs and a ORY. Iam going crazy here guys. I checked to see if the extension harness was melted and its not so I dont know I need help.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Ground wires all hooked up ?Wires pinched between the trans and block?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You pinched a wire when you put the tranny back in, I'm sure of it. Seen that happen a million times. The wires up top are just loose enough so they can hang down, one gets pinched and grounds out on the motor, then all hell breaks loose and the car runs like ****.

Drop the tranny again, I bet you find a pinched/grounded out wire. Fix that and you will probably be o.k.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
You pinched a wire when you put the tranny back in, I'm sure of it. Seen that happen a million times. The wires up top are just loose enough so they can hang down, one gets pinched and grounds out on the motor, then all hell breaks loose and the car runs like ****.

Drop the tranny again, I bet you find a pinched/grounded out wire. Fix that and you will probably be o.k.

I pinched one of the rear wheel sensor wires when I did my clutch a while back.
Have not fixed it yet. When I do the heads I will see if I can fix it then.

Good luck.

Brad
Old 01-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A wire is pinched or stripped, injectors are fired based on the computer switching and giving them ground. You grounded the wire against something resulting in the injectors being always on.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might check the O2 connector pins for pushed-out.
Also even a momentary short in the heater wires
might have blown the ENG SEN fuse, taking other
stuff like the MAF and some other sensors with it.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

As far as the fuse being blown. I already tried that. Looks like its time to drop the tranny again...
Old 01-21-2010, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

All fixed up. I let the tranny down a little to see if I pinched a wire and everything checked out ok. So while I was under there I unhooked the Air/fuel gauge and wouldnt ya know it, the car ran awsome again. Not too sure yet if the gauge took a dump on me or if it was the wire.