PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Fast!! - AFX Calibration question, confused!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation HELP Fast!! - AFX Calibration question, confused!!!

Sounds stupid, but the manual tells you to turn the **** till it says "Cal" after doing a pre warm up of the sensor in free air. Said after you turn to cal, disconnect power. So I do that. I turn the car back on, and the unit is still in "cal" mode.

do you turn the **** back again to read afr? Totally confused here.

Last edited by SilverSmoke; 07-03-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

There is no cal "mode". Its just saying the unit is calibrated. Once you get 'cal' in free air, you're good to go. Do not turn the **** anymore. It will give you the air/fuel reading once it detects exhaust.

When you say you turned the car on, do you mean key on or actaully start it? If you fired it and got 'cal', something is very wrong.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No i turned the **** until the unit said "cal-" while the sensor was in free air. I let the sensor sit in free air and warm up for about an hour first, then turned the **** till it said cal. Let it sit for 3 min's since didn't know how long it had to be on cal then turned the key of my car off cutting power to the unit.

When I keyed on again to power the unit only, not start, the unit stayed lit up as "cal-". This is where I'm totally confused as the directions don't state what should happen next.

Can anyone please direct me really quick. Would really like to get my car back on the road this holiday weekend, and if I have to fix this is the only time I have.

Thanks again!
Old 07-05-2010, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Don't worry about it saying 'cal' after after you calibrated it. It's supposed to say that in conditions where its actually calibrated and zero exhaust is present.

Sounds to me like you're doing everything right so far and the unit is fine. Put it in your exhaust already and start the car. You should get an air/fuel reading.

Good luck
Old 07-05-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Redid it this morning and everything worked. Let it cool down, installed it, and fired the car up. The unit did its 20 sec warm up and immediately started spitting out afr readings.

Guess the sensor needed a full cool down, and needed the exhaust flow to kick it out of cal mode like ya said.

Thanks for helping me out. Sometimes I'm just too cautious. Now I gotta figure out how and why my oil dip stick blew out at 6700 rpms, err, oil everywhere
Old 07-06-2010, 06:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excessive crankcase pressure is the usual suspect. Ring blow-by. Time for a leak down test.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
Excessive crankcase pressure is the usual suspect. Ring blow-by. Time for a leak down test.
Your an HPT guy, Would cylinder balance test in hpt show any issue with the cylinder before trying to find someone who can do the test for me?
Old 07-06-2010, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think it will show what you need to see. I is ok for seeing if you have an injector going down but cylinder blow-by is totally different.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Might wanna get the wideband outta there too. Can't imagine burning oil is any good for it.