Sponsored by:

98 to a 00 PCM swap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 to a 00 PCM swap?

Hey guys,
I am about to swap my good ole piece of **** 98 PCM to a 00!
I do have a print out here,

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...convert98a.doc

Any other pointers that may make it an easier process? 100+ repins seems like a lot more then I was expecting! I did notice the 99+ connectors are opposite then the 98. I'm just curious to know if anyone has a labeled schematce of what pins are what, there r several things I am not going to need to use! The hole dah cluster minus the tach and ECT are amongst a few!

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Teching In

When you get in the groove, it will not take very long at all. My first try was 2.5 hours. When I repinned it back to 98, it was an hour. I used a voltmeter lead for my pick to eject the wires. Just get a chair, put a towel over the fender and relax, it really is pretty easy.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be most likely doing this swap in a month or two. Post back up how it goes.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This might be a stupid question but whats wrong with the 98 pcm and wiring?
Old 06-13-2012, 04:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLK95-Z
This might be a stupid question but whats wrong with the 98 pcm and wiring?
Nothings wrong with the wiring. The pcm doesn't have all the tables that the later models do for tuning, no real time tuning, and youre only able to tune for ~15lbs of boost.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Label label label. Double and triple check. Take your time...

Old 06-14-2012, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

^^Nice! I made my labels. I just need some time off of work.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

I have run into a few problems here. I did the whole repin and followed the directions to a tee, I double, triple, and quadrupedal checked. Gave the vehicle power and no communication with the PCM. My HP Tuners had power from the OBD2 port but I couldn't connect. So I purchased an actual schematic from Alldata on the 98 and 00 harness connectors. I had 5 miss wiring's from following the instructions that were not matching up on the schematic. So I found that wire on the 98 and it was a different color.
The Crankshaft position sensor was yellow on the 98 but is labeled brown on the 00. I had no other loose brown wires that were crankshaft. They were all AC and EGR.The other was the Alternator L terminal which the 98 doesn't even have. The last was the Serial data connector that the instructions said to delete but the 00 has a spot for it and it was dark green on the 00 and tan on the 98. Still plugged in the necessary wires that matched up from the 98 to the 00 and still nothing. The motor cranks over so I know the ignition is working however I cant get a feed from the scanner. Any ideas?
Thanks for your help.
Jake
Old 06-17-2012, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

The way you just explained that doesn't make sense to me. When you swap from the 98 to the newer pcm, you're not going to have the same color wires that the original computer does. They will be mismatched but will be the correct wire for the pcm.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
The way you just explained that doesn't make sense to me. When you swap from the 98 to the newer pcm, you're not going to have the same color wires that the original computer does. They will be mismatched but will be the correct wire for the pcm.
Sorry about the confusion on that. I did reread where some of the wire colors and circuits are going to be different from the 98 then they will be on a 99+. That was my first concern since there were some wires that were different colors then what the 99+ schematic called for. However I think this might be a problem. I have several wires that I do no need to be using so I just left them hanging for the time being. These wires are ones such as all transmission, dash cluster, fuel pump, air pump, AC, EGR and those of the sorts. The only ones I really need are the ignition, injectors and ECT, IAC, IAT, and TPS really minus the grounds and battery voltage. I am guessing that even though these wires are not being used they still need to be pinned in the harness were they are supposed to go.
Any ideas?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hantzum
Sorry about the confusion on that. I did reread where some of the wire colors and circuits are going to be different from the 98 then they will be on a 99+. That was my first concern since there were some wires that were different colors then what the 99+ schematic called for. However I think this might be a problem. I have several wires that I do no need to be using so I just left them hanging for the time being. These wires are ones such as all transmission, dash cluster, fuel pump, air pump, AC, EGR and those of the sorts. The only ones I really need are the ignition, injectors and ECT, IAC, IAT, and TPS really minus the grounds and battery voltage. I am guessing that even though these wires are not being used they still need to be pinned in the harness were they are supposed to go.
Any ideas?
I wouldn't think that they need to be plugged in. I'm not going to plug all those in either. I'm going to shrink my harness down quite a bit. Make sure you have all the pcm grounds in
Old 06-24-2012, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Default ...

Well I am at a total loss here. The only thing that I can think of is that the PCM I am using is damaged. I have checked rechecked and rechecked and rechecked again and everything is where it is supposed to be. I even bought the actual PCM schematics off Alldatay for a 98 and a 99+ and verified that every connection that was plugged in came from where it was supposed too and everything lined up. When I turn the key i get power and all just no communication to the PCM with my HPT scanner. I can crank the motor over all day but nothing on the communication side. Checked all fuses and they are all good, nothing is blown out. Any other pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-24-2012, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

What about vats?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
What about vats?
Not sure about that. The Scanner will not read the PCM, The motor cranks and all but Im not trying to start the car. I have a different fuel system all together. VATS keeps the injectors from firing which may be a prob but i cant tell until I can interface with the computer. The PCM works fine too, I put in my buddies car and the interface connected right up no problems. I have gone over every wire again and again and everything is where it supposed to be. All the connectors are in the right spot, the bolts are tied down nice and tight and everything. No issues there. Just need to figure out what the deal is on this.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jake, I told you what I think you should do. Sit down, and list out all the wires by color, the cavity they came from in the 98 PCM, and the cavity they're in now, in a spreadsheet, and send it to me. I know that's a lot of work, but where are you now?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Jake, I told you what I think you should do. Sit down, and list out all the wires by color, the cavity they came from in the 98 PCM, and the cavity they're in now, in a spreadsheet, and send it to me. I know that's a lot of work, but where are you now?
yeah was trying to avoid that. But what else can I do. Ill get it to ya asap
Old 06-24-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hantzum
yeah was trying to avoid that. But what else can I do. Ill get it to ya asap
You have wiring problems, You may have double and triple checked your work but you have definatly overlooked some wires. I converted my 98 harness and modded it to fit a 95 V6 car and it works perfect. Listen to Ed hes good **** He did my PCM and it was spot on!

I took mailing labels when i did mine and pullen out one at a time and labeled them B12 and A25 ect that way you can look back and and figure out which wires go where...
Old 06-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine would crank but not fire the first time cause I had to relearn vats or either disable it. But since u can't even get into the PCM it's not that. I would replace all the wire from 98 to 00. Then if it fires start taking out the ones you don't need.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that I think about it my table top hookup from speartech only has I think two wires to access the PCM. If I get time I can check what pin they are and give it to ya should help atleast.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cool28
Now that I think about it my table top hookup from speartech only has I think two wires to access the PCM. If I get time I can check what pin they are and give it to ya should help atleast.
Thats cool man and that would be awesome. I have om med the one serial data wire from the PCM to the OBD2 under the dash and its definetly the one. Ed has been helping me out during the process and his help has been invaluable. Knows his stuff and a great tuner as well. We are in the midst of trouble shooting. we will get to the bottom of this.
Thanks

Quick Reply: 98 to a 00 PCM swap?