Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frost is a fraud to some

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Frost is a fraud to some

Got my 5.3 camaro with a 76 mm turbo and a 6 speed tuned by him last year. the car ran great. over the winter i installed a new cam with the help of a buddy who works at a race engine shop in the Pittsburgh PA area. I then sent my ecm out to frost to get a new base tune so i could hopefully drive it to the nearest dyno shop. Well driving it anywhere even out of my garage is out of the question. the car barely starts and when it does my wideband shows 18.4. extremely lean which he told me he was going to richen the fuel ratio abit. the car pops, sputters and stalls like crazy. ive torn the engine apart checked the cam and all is good. ive gone back and forth with frost ( either a response from email or phone call takes atleast a week to receive a response). he has since quite contacting me at all. so apparently he doesnt really car unless your a sponsored car. my camaro ran better with the original tune with the new cam, then it does with the tune for the cam. Knowing hundreds of people have had sucess with him makes me think hes either to over welmed and has messed my tune up and is afraid to admit or idk. he told me my o2 sensors were bad and my pipes were leaking. even though the car ran great last summer when i parked it and with the help of an engine builder the cam is in spot on...just wanted you to know...$200 i could have spent on sum where else instead .
Old 07-14-2012, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

This should be in sponsor feedback no? gl
Old 07-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Oh and I forgot to mention I towed my car to a "professional" and it took him all of 2 hours to dyno tune my car. Saying that the tune that was in my ecm was not even close to being opperational. 2 hours compared to the 4 weeks it took for each of my tunes to get delivered back to me. When im ready to fire up the new ls s10 i know what tuner its going to and its not frost !!!!! My last email/phone call has never been returned since 3 weeks ago. i guess since he opperates at month intervals next week maybe when i get a reply.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

I would never want a email tune on a turbo car anyways. It could take a couple trys to get it close enough to run without having the car there.
It also takes more than 2 hours to do a complete tune on a turbo car correctly.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry that sucks,but the truth is its impossible to really tune a car that way,a small cam car sure can get it pretty close and make it idle nice,but on a cammed turbo car there are way to many factors to properly tune it by mail.It honestly should not have been attempted by frost,and im suprised someone would even try.Theres just to much guessing going on with a engine combo like that.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

I understand that, however i was guaranteed a base tune that i could be able to drive to the nearest dyno, where i could get it spot on. however like i said the barely starts and when it does it so lean that its scary to let even idle. i honestly think i should be refunded my $200.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you actually emailed Frost on this or did you just come here to say his work sucks? I have one of his tunes and I love it. You may want to contact him and give him the chance to help you, he has a great rep here and I'm sure he would be willing to work with you. And as the others have said, your setup would be tough to mail order tune.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could of very well been something wrong in the build that the 2nd tuner tuned around.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Could of very well been something wrong in the build that the 2nd tuner tuned around.
How dare you interject common sense?!?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve is far from a fraud... There has to be some explanation more than what you are posting up here. Stories are like pancakes - they all have two sides... maybe he will post up with his side.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by minytrker
I would never want a email tune on a turbo car anyways. It could take a couple trys to get it close enough to run without having the car there.
It took TSP four hours to tune my H/C car.

But I'd imagine scaling on a turbo car would go kinda quick to someone who's done it quite a bit. -As far as the two hour claim goes.

And I wouldn't blame Frost at all. He's just making an educated guess to get the car to run in the first place.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

why you would try to have a mail order tune for a boosted car is beyond me
Old 07-15-2012, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

^^^+1 on that.
Fraud is just a reckless word. Frost has to much of a good rep to be called a fraud.
In for the other side.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

i have a frost tune and cannot complain...granted i dont have a boosted car but what do you expect a guy to do who doesnt have the car in front of him.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by minytrker
That is exactly what I was thinking.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

So what really was wrong? I mean it could have been something easy like the po101 not setting when you start it up, some PCM are slow... therefore not throwing enough fuel to run yet.

I wouldnt really point fingers without the whole story...
Old 07-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Restricted User

You didn't happen to change injectors or anything else you may have failed to mention?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:11 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

And people ask me why I refuse to tune somebody's car that is not physically in front of me.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

I'm not sticking up for him but you can tune a turbo car in 2hrs if you have experience and it's a known combination. Many tuners have a base tune that gets them in the ballpark so it might only take a couple of pulls to get the WOT tuning done and the rest of the time doing the other parameters. I've never seen a tune be perfect in just one session, to many parameters that you can't duplicate like cold start open loop driving, etc, shift points. Too many personal preferences to get it perfect the 1st time.

As far as Frost, I don't know any details but I tend to think it's a communication problem, if the tune is that far off mostly likely there's a issue of miscommunication of information and details.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just dont see why someone would trust a m/o tune on a turbo car or anyother highly modified car, that money you spent could have went to a tow truck/or renting a car hauler, i think to come out a say frost is a fraud is a lil childish, he is a very nice guy and very helpful, not to be a dick but honest you should have known better,like i said i can see a mo on a bolt on car but anything more than that i wouldnt trust it

Quick Reply: Frost is a fraud to some