Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default decitions on Holley/ECU/Pro/???

370ci
t56
electric fans
DBC
twin t61's
ev6 injectors

currently running a truck PCM and and LS1 engine/injector harness. I was considering moving to the Holley HP system vs. Dominator as I am running a T56/DBC etc. I don't really need a lot of input/outputs. The only reason I was considering the Dominator was because I need two wideband sensors being a twin turbo setup.

At the end of the day I don't see it making sense spending an additional $1200 (after everything is said and done) on the dominator when in reality all I need is an additional wideband sensor.

Anybody have any suggestions or recommendations?
I hate the stock harness in my swapped car. It is messy, ugly and unnecessary for my non a/c non powersteering bare bones street car. Im very interested in the self learning aspect of it as I am new "tuning"
Old 12-04-2013, 04:34 PM
8 Second Club

anyone have an effective "cheap" solution to a dual wideband and something similar to holley HP EFI
Old 12-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waiting to hear myself as i'm in the same situation. Was originally gonna use hptuners, but with the steep learning curve plus you still need a boost controller, i'm leaning towards the holley.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:47 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ButchB
Waiting to hear myself as i'm in the same situation. Was originally gonna use hptuners, but with the steep learning curve plus you still need a boost controller, i'm leaning towards the holley.
I'm really surprised that Holley doesn't offer a dual wide band option for the HP setup. I mean it's really stupid how the HP offers 4 in and out puts but the dominator offers 40.. Where is the middle ground?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:28 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With the cost as it is......there really is no reason for a "middle ground". I'm actually suprised people buy the HP.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:59 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blown06
With the cost as it is......there really is no reason for a "middle ground". I'm actually suprised people buy the HP.
me too. Just buy the dominator & your covered for whatever you want to add in the future.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:46 AM
8 Second Club

The price difference between the two absolutely warrants a middle ground.
The HP is 1500 with everything you need out the door. The dominator starts at 1700 for just the ecu.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:48 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by samdogmx
me too. Just buy the dominator & your covered for whatever you want to add in the future.

That's just it. Im building a 900rwhp 2700lb street car. I wont need to do anything "else" the 4 in and outs are enough for my bare bones street car. I just wish they had a simpler version with dual widebands.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You will use the inputs/outputs faster than you realize.

My car is pretty simple as well and this is how many I have used on my setup so far.

Outputs:
2x (+12v) Radiator fans
2x (PWM-) Boost solenoids
2x (+12v) I have the holley trigger my relays for the boost solenoids power
1x Ground for my dome pressure sensor
And I still need to wire up a speed sensor for boost vs speed.

Inputs:
1x 5v Dome pressure
1x T-brake/launch ( Could setup a switch under your clutch pedal that triggers this and allows you to launch at a certain psi.)
1x Ecu log Trig
And still need to wire the input for the speed sensor

So 8 outputs and 4 inputs and I still have a few more things to take care of.

I know the dominator isnt cheap but I have seen quite a few people purchase the HP just cause of the price then end up having to sale it and upgrade to the dominator.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the reason that the 2nd wideband is not in the HP is because of a physical limitation of how many pins they are using...
the ecu uses almost all of the pins just in normal things to run the engine
the wideband takes up 8 pins.....
the 2nd wideband got added in the J2a connector on the dominator
the holley HP only has the J1a and a J1b connector

the connectors are laid out in inputs and outputs...
J1a - inputs
J1b outputs
J2a inputs
J2b outputs

J3 and J4 (on the dominator) were designed for specialty things...
J3 was designed of Drive by wire...with a few pins left over
J4 being the transmission controls with a few pins left over to use of other stuff

so as you see...J2 is what was designed for random ins and outs.....
there had to be a cutoff for both size and function to keep the HP price where it is at..
the extra controller(on the circuit board) for the extra ins and outs is where the extra cost is when you switch to a dominator.

there are 4 pins left on both the J1a and J1b connectors for the Holley HP... which are made to be your 4 extra ins and outs
not enough to add a 2nd wideband and still have outputs for fans/fuel pump basic things you need for the car to run

4 ins and out runs out quick when you have anything more than a basic naturally aspirated engine

I'm at 22 inputs and 17 outputs....and I'm planning on adding 8 egt sensors into the mix in the future as well
Old 12-05-2013, 11:55 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by oscs
The price difference between the two absolutely warrants a middle ground.
The HP is 1500 with everything you need out the door. The dominator starts at 1700 for just the ecu.
You can be in a dominator set up for $2500. So for only an extra grand you can do whatever you want. $1000 at this level (the level needing aftermarket efi) is pocket change.

It would make no sense to have an application at $2000 because for another $500 you could have all the bells and whistles. ****, it costs me $500 everytime I go out in the garage and look at my stuff. lol

You obviously don't understand.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:46 AM
8 Second Club

You can be in a dominator set up for $2500. So for only an extra grand you can do whatever you want. $1000 at this level (the level needing aftermarket efi) is pocket change.

It would make no sense to have an application at $2000 because for another $500 you could have all the bells and whistles. ****, it costs me $500 everytime I go out in the garage and look at my stuff. lol

You obviously don't understand.

Thanks for explaining it to me since "I don't understand"

Last edited by oscs; 12-06-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:08 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by soundengineer
the reason that the 2nd wideband is not in the HP is because of a physical limitation of how many pins they are using...
the ecu uses almost all of the pins just in normal things to run the engine
the wideband takes up 8 pins.....
the 2nd wideband got added in the J2a connector on the dominator
the holley HP only has the J1a and a J1b connector

the connectors are laid out in inputs and outputs...
J1a - inputs
J1b outputs
J2a inputs
J2b outputs

J3 and J4 (on the dominator) were designed for specialty things...
J3 was designed of Drive by wire...with a few pins left over
J4 being the transmission controls with a few pins left over to use of other stuff

so as you see...J2 is what was designed for random ins and outs.....
there had to be a cutoff for both size and function to keep the HP price where it is at..
the extra controller(on the circuit board) for the extra ins and outs is where the extra cost is when you switch to a dominator.

there are 4 pins left on both the J1a and J1b connectors for the Holley HP... which are made to be your 4 extra ins and outs
not enough to add a 2nd wideband and still have outputs for fans/fuel pump basic things you need for the car to run

4 ins and out runs out quick when you have anything more than a basic naturally aspirated engine

I'm at 22 inputs and 17 outputs....and I'm planning on adding 8 egt sensors into the mix in the future as well

Thank you for your informed post you seem like you actually own and operate a holley EFI system unlike other members. I was able to source what I needed concerning the dominator system for around $2200 so I think that will be the route I go. I've read many of your posts concerning these units and I appreciate the help you have distributed.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:40 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Thank you for your informed post you seem like you actually own and operate a holley EFI system unlike other members. I was able to source what I needed concerning the dominator system for around $2200 so I think that will be the route I go. I've read many of your posts concerning these units and I appreciate the help you have distributed.
If your referring to me...........lol I have the holley dominator efi on my ****. Once again......you spoke without understanding. lol
Old 12-07-2013, 09:31 AM
8 Second Club

If your referring to me...........lol I have the holley dominator efi on my ****. Once again......you spoke without understanding. lol
Looks like your right again! how will I ever compete with your superior knowledge

Last edited by oscs; 12-07-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:30 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Looks like your right again! how will I ever compete with your superior knowledge
well.................you can't
Old 12-07-2013, 11:32 PM
8 Second Truck Club

translation for the above post: eatsome popcorn, then we'll fight, this thread was hijacked, we'll buy each other a beer......you can hug my nuts.............I hope you know I'm just messing around........
Old 12-08-2013, 12:31 PM
8 Second Club

translation for the above post: eatsome popcorn, then we'll fight, this thread was hijacked, we'll buy each other a beer......you can hug my nuts.............I hope you know I'm just messing around........
No worries
Old 12-09-2013, 03:17 AM
Staging Lane

People are shopping at the wrong place if they pay $1500 more to get the dominator box. I upgrade the kits I sell for $725
Old 12-09-2013, 05:47 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dj94gt
People are shopping at the wrong place if they pay $1500 more to get the dominator box. I upgrade the kits I sell for $725

were not talking about upgrades...
were talking about it costing $1700 to buy just the dominator...new...not an upgrade...
and thats just the box...not the needed wire harnesses to go with it.

Quick Reply: decitions on Holley/ECU/Pro/???