Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR after LS3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default EGR after LS3 swap

With no EGR in the car, is the timing added by the EGR table too much? I've been wondering since there is a bit of overlap in most aftermarket cams that could act as "self-egr" that we can leave it there?

Who here as experienced significant pinging after the swap? I'm getting 0 on mine so far, but my knock sensitivity is suspect and I'm balancing trying to get it to be useful while not being overly sensitive.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If car has no EGR, then turn it off and zero out the EGR timing table

If you have a 98 car, then replace your knock sensors with the new ones.

Do you have an LS3 in a 98 car, please provide us with a lot more info.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Ls3 in a 98. EGR disabled and tables zeroed out. Codes set to no mil on error. I was wondering if the "extra" timing given by EGR could be used to stretch gas mileage for long highway trips. Knock sensors are newer version, was never an issue in the car over 8 years of modding on it.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Is it a stock crate LS3 with the converter box? What high octane timing tables are you using? When are you getting the knock/pinging?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

It's a pieced together LS3. I started with a LS3 block with LS1 top end after I threw a rod on the LS1.

No converter boxes here, just some extensions/relocations for some things like the knock sensors, cam sensor etc. My timing table has been changed modded so much over the last 8 years that while I can say I started from a 98 table, its not quite all there anymore.

The thread is more of a I've migrated to a LS3 top end and my EGR got ditched so wondering if I can still "use" EGR lean timing boosts as before since I've got 6.5 degrees of overlap on my cam. From what I've logged so far, EGR doesn't seem to add any timing during part throttle running.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

If there is no EGR valve connected to the car, then the PCM wont add timing to you high octane table. Over the years I learned from a few classes I've taken and trial and error, that in your idle and light cruise areas of you high octane table you can bump up the timing a few degrees when you have a decent sized cam.

The only real way to set your timing tables is on an engine dyno, that way you can have full control over the engine and see what the torque output is in real time.

Basically, most tuners just go off past experiences of what has worked well for them and probably a lot of tuners don't worry about fuel mileage. Personally I think that you can kinda set some table up for a tad better gas mileage and some people "market" it, but in reality, we put cams in our cars to have more power and have fun, your right foot is a little more aggressive when you have real mods on your car.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

I'll play with the timing in the areas of EGR, it was pretty agressive adding in 4-7 degrees in the areas of cruise so even 1-2 points boost shouldn't harm it.

At least my intake won't be as "gunked" up anymore. I used to have a good amount of "oil sludge" in the intake area due to PCV + EGR + my valve guides being worn.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

You will always have an oil film in the intake if you are running a pcv valve. I had oil in my intake when I ran catch can too. I took the PCV system off and put on a vacuum pump. No more oil in the intake. One drop of oil in a cylinder kills hp tremendously. I've seen it kill hp on the engine dyno when our builder did it on purpose.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Six years later.....
Old 07-15-2020, 09:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Six years later.....
oops. It popped up in my email notification so I thought it was recent. I usually get emails on current issues. Don't know why I got this notification.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (07-15-2020)

Quick Reply: EGR after LS3 swap