PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning Licenses? They didn't exist 10 years ago.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Tuning Licenses? They didn't exist 10 years ago.

I looked into tuning LS1 over 10 years ago and there was no such thing as a tuning license.

Now its about the license, not the hardware/software.

SCT does this but I've scoured their web site and if it is present, it is supremely buried. (The only reason I found out about it was a vendor selling it with a single PCM license and then only after email SCT. The fact that they don't provide the licensing agreement online is another problem.)

So are there any No License hardware/software out there? I'd look but that wouldn't have worked with SCT, so I'm posting this question.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's how they protect themselves. Your saying you want to buy a unit with with possibility of tuning 1000's of vehicles for $500?
Old 01-07-2015, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
That's how they protect themselves. Your saying you want to buy a unit with with possibility of tuning 1000's of vehicles for $500?
That was almost possible with TunerCat OBD2. No scanner though but with their $80 definition files that usually covered 2 model years it was a bargain.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

My concern is that I spend about $1000 for hardware/software and invest the time to learn their platform and then a few years from now when I want to tune a new modded engine for my car, the company will be out of business and I will have locked hardware that is worth absolutely nothing.

As you can see, the last time I was in LS tuning was over 12 years ago and I can tell you, I'll probably be doing it 12 years from now too - all on the same car/ECU.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think you understand tuner suite licensing.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

You're right, that was a bad example. But it still is relevant. If the company goes out of business, you won't be able to buy more licenses.

The company can also quit support of old platforms and stop selling licenses forcing you to upgrade to the current platform.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

HP Tuners has already done that with their original serial cable. That doesn't keep me from using it on all the model year types I licensed with it 10 years after I bought it. I still use it to this day. Along with their new USB cable I have that I use on newer vehicles. Even if HP Tuners stopped supporting new vehicles as they come out, it would be stupid for them to stop selling credits as that looks to be an automated system that is a cash cow for them. I don't know what you were looking into 10 years ago but tuning licenses have been around since the first OBD2 tuning product, LS1Edit was introduced back in 2002.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by squid
I looked into tuning LS1 over 10 years ago and there was no such thing as a tuning license.

Now its about the license, not the hardware/software.

SCT does this but I've scoured their web site and if it is present, it is supremely buried. (The only reason I found out about it was a vendor selling it with a single PCM license and then only after email SCT. The fact that they don't provide the licensing agreement online is another problem.)

So are there any No License hardware/software out there? I'd look but that wouldn't have worked with SCT, so I'm posting this question.
Yep, pretty sad. I keep waiting to get a license for my timing light and flat head screw driver so can keep tuning my 68.
Seriously though, I can see their point but dont agree with it at all. Still kicking myself for not buying Tunercat for OBDII prior to them selling out to Jet. No license bs when you could buy it direct from TC.

Quick Reply: Tuning Licenses? They didn't exist 10 years ago.