PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock knock. Whos there? Knock retard who? GO AWAY ALREADY!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock knock. Whos there? Knock retard who? GO AWAY ALREADY!

So anyways, I still have knock. Go figure with my car being a 98 and all. Stock timing, O2s 898-930, I replaced the tensioner with a Katech (belt was getting thrown anyways), I ran top engine cleaner through last night. I have been trying to find any place that could be causing any type of rattle. It still has knock retard usually 4-5 degrees. I have pulled timing before, and that didn't help. I don't get it. I have some NGK TR55s sitting here in case I decide to pull the Bosch +4s (maybe a misfire?) I am at a loss. I know the stock O2s are not dependable. Should I add more fuel and see if it goes away? If so, how is the best way to add from low/moderate throttle to wot? Should I just write it off as false knock and disable knock retard at that RPM? I will attach a screen shot of what I am seeing....
Old 07-17-2004, 02:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are these the original '98 knock sensors, or have
you already gone to the later, less false-prone
ones?
Old 07-17-2004, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Are these the original '98 knock sensors, or have
you already gone to the later, less false-prone
ones?
No, I haven't switched over yet. I am hoping HPTuners released updated software that will let me desensitize the darn thing already. Here is a screenshot, and a link to my log file if anybody would be gracious enough to take a look!

http://users.adelphia.net/~someoneel...16JUL04_01.zip
Old 07-17-2004, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Do you have a catch can? Since I have been researching how to make my own i have read that i usually completely removes knock retard if you change spark plugs along with it.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

I switched to the modified fixed orifice PCV. I can't imagine there is much if any oil getting through that tiny hole. And even if there was, the top engine cleaner yesterday should have taken care of it...at least for today. Don't you think?
Old 07-17-2004, 07:00 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Welcome to the 98 cars. Pretty much every 98 I have come across has had **** tons of false knock. Many of them were pretty much just referencing the low octane table full time as well.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nic00Z28M6
Welcome to the 98 cars. Pretty much every 98 I have come across has had **** tons of false knock. Many of them were pretty much just referencing the low octane table full time as well.
Would it be safe to eliminate knock retard from the table at 3600 rpms in PE and see if that stops it? It is consistently in the same place...if it is real knock I would find out pretty fast because I would get knock retard, just later in the RPMs right?
Old 07-17-2004, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That choice is up to you, but every 98 car i've ever seen with a scan tool on it has knock retard. If you feel comfortable with the tune and the way the car is running, then go for it. If you dont know the car that well though (internally) then i'd keep them on.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the same issue with my 98. I also have HP tuners, what is the best way to desensitize at a certain RPM?

Thanks

Tom
Old 09-25-2004, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackWS6LS1
I have the same issue with my 98. I also have HP tuners, what is the best way to desensitize at a certain RPM?

Thanks

Tom
What I have been doing temporarily is reloading the knock retard by RPM in PE mode with 1 decimal place, then for the affected RPMs I have set them to .5 degrees of retard. I think my WOT timing of 28 degrees is conservative enough to not cause real knock with 93 octane, and I have already used top engine cleaner and everything else I can think of. This way I can see if knock is "detected", and see what happens. I have never heard WOT knock on my car, but I think there may be some part-throttle because my timing is a little aggressive part throttle.

Quick Reply: Knock knock. Whos there? Knock retard who? GO AWAY ALREADY!