Sponsored by:

Stumped on Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stumped on Warning Light

Okay, short version:
What the heck could the "Service Vehicle" light mean?

Long version:
I go out to my car this morning, start it up, and the "Service Vehicle" light in the tach comes on. It doesn't go off during the drive to work (about 15-20 minutes in traffic). I looked it up in the Owner's Manual, and it just says it is a problem in the car that is not emmisions (read engine) related. But try as I might, I cannot think of anything else it could be . There are other warning lights for all the other stuff I can think of, i.e. ABS, AirBag, Low Oil, and even the "Check Gauges" light. When I start the car up in the afternoon to leave, the light comes on during startup and then turns off like all the other lights.
I'm going to go to the dealer tomorrow and have the codes read. The car's still in warranty, so hopefully whatever it is will be covered. The only possibility I can think of is that it may be like the Oil Change light that automatically comes on if not reset properly to remind you that you need an oil change. I say this because I am getting very close to 25K miles. I was at about 24,975 this morning, and now I'm at about 24,988. But I wasn't aware there was a service set for 25K, if that's what the light represents.
Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would put your stock airbox on (depending on issue they may try to use the K&N filter or the FIPK setup to cause problems) and bring it in for warranty

Could be alot of different things... but you need to have it scanned to know for sure... and if it's still in warranty you shouldn't have to worry about any outta pocket expenses
Old 12-13-2004, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

Mine come on today for the 1st time and it was because of a high idle which seems to be because i over ported my tb.

Thats not ur problem but just commenting.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Mine came on today as well. Sorry no info on your situation. At least your still under Warr. Like Horist said you should put you r stock airlid back on before you go in to the dealership. IMO
Old 12-13-2004, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Service Vehicle is for a NON EMISSIONS related powertrain fault. PCM detects a fault that does not violate EPA regulations but may still cause a train of failures that may, so it's a "pre alert" to alert you to get it taken care of. You need a code reader to determine what the specific prob is.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

I heard auto zone can scan it for free or howmuch do they charge?
Old 12-14-2004, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

autozone is free
Old 12-15-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Have the code read by AutoZone or AdvanceAuto and then let us know what the code is.

Bill