Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Books that teach PCM tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 04:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Books that teach PCM tuning

I know there are some books out there that teach tuning the PCM. Can you list some of the good ones and their authors.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems all of the ones that I have come across are very generic, and are full of "well duhh" information. I have heard the one that Ben Shrader wrote has some good information. I believe he is the one who teaches that EFI University thing.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00Z28SS
It seems all of the ones that I have come across are very generic, and are full of "well duhh" information. I have heard the one that Ben Shrader wrote has some good information. I believe he is the one who teaches that EFI University thing.
Bens book is well worth having for the knowlege of what does what and how they interact, but it doesn't tell you how to tune. Seems nobody is willing to stick their neck out in this over PC/sue your *** off world and publish! Please correct me if wrong and I will buy it tomorrow. LS1 Edit(Dictionary without meanings) owner for 4 years. you can't beat swept up food
Old 11-15-2005, 06:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ben's two day seminar was pretty interesting. The problem being, especially working with an OEM VCM, is that every manuafacturer is different and even some model/year variances. Ben focuses on standalone aftermarket EFI and not really OEM specific, but the principles are the same. His does actually teach/demonstrate how to tune on a brake dyno during his seminar.

The people that know enough about our specific VCMs to write a book on it are probably either GM employees or members of this board.

A book would probably contain pretty general information because if it was specific enough to be useful the target audience would be too small to make it profitable to publish. The general information isn't extremely useful, and car/platform specific book would probably not sell enough copies to cover the cost of the publishing.

There is probably some published info out there on tuning stand alone systems, as they would have a larger market.

That being said, if you read enough about basic EFI, either Ben Straders book or others, and read the stickies and FAQs, that should pretty much get you up to speed with about everyone else.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

how to tune and modify EFI. I have 2 titles at home that Marcin sent me (RedHardSupra)and im at work.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unfortuanetly ... at least from my experience... there aren't that many good books out there that are LS1 Specific... there's alot that go over the sensors and explain how they work... then once you know that you can get a better understanding of what the various tables do...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....22&postcount=7

is a post I made a few days ago where I tried to describe some of the basics...

One of these days when I have more time I'll have to put together a document with what I know (no where near everything, but I have a pretty good grasp of the basics )
Old 11-15-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

damn mike! thats one hell of a post
Old 11-15-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wish someone would start a LSX tuning school. I want to become a tuner, but so much of the info is so "hush hush" its hard to learn without just experimenting. "i wonder what this table does?!" or, which tables apply to such and such functionality...
Old 11-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Seems nobody is willing to stick their neck out in this over PC/sue your *** off world and publish! Please correct me if wrong and I will buy it tomorrow.
Duly noted...

The trick is that to make the book appeal to a wide audience (GM guys, Ford Guys, Honda Guys, Aftermarket ECU guys, etc...) one needs to be a little more general in the explanations. The good thing is that almost all ECU's work on the same principle of creating a math model of the physical engine behavior. The ECU doesn't know if it's installed in a Civic or a Mustang, but it still figures out how much air mass is present and calculates a fuel mass, injection time, and spark lead accordingly.

To list the absolute step-by-step procedure for every ECU (including various years of the same engine/ECU) would make the book prohibitively large for publishers to print for a reasonable price. That's what the individual software user manuals are for. However, if one learns the general OEM calibration approach and applies it to whatever ECU they're tuning, things usually go much better. It's pretty easy to learn a new software if all you're really doing is learning what names they use to describe the same concept used on other engines you've learned about before.

As they say, "Watch this space..."
Old 11-15-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

There is a book called "Corvette Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control: 1982 through 2001." It does not specifically tell you how to tune using tuning software, but it gives you a very complete understanding of how the entire LSx engine works. I highly recommend it. There is a PCM tuning book out there called "How to Tune and Modify Engine Managements Systems." I highly recommend you leave that book on the shelf. It is a total waste of money. Another useful book on how engine management systems works is "Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Management." A lot of GMs stuff is based off of it. (and yes, I own all of these books, so I am not talking out of my butt)
Old 11-16-2005, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

I agree with Another User about the Corvette EFI book. It's an excellent introduction to the complex world of EFI and explains in detail almost every term used on this board and others. It starts with history and theory then works it way through the engine management system of how & why it does certain things. It's a great book to reference back time after time.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

i just bought the "how to tune and modify engine management systems" its pretty dry, but very informative!
Old 11-16-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
I know there are some books out there that teach tuning the PCM. Can you list some of the good ones and their authors.

Although these books are not LS1/LS6 specific I've found them helpful in theory and practice.
They are not pro level but they have been very helpful at my level (amateur/tinkerer).

"Engine Management -optimising carburettors, fuel injection and ignition systems"
by Dave Walker. Haynes High Performance tuning series.

"How to Tune and Modify Engine Management systems"
by Jeff hartman. Motorbooks Workshop

"Building and Tuning High-Performance Electronic Fuel Injection"
by Ben Strader. S-A Design, CarTech Books

"Tuning Accel/DFI 6.0 Programmable Fuel Injection"
by Ray T. Bohacz. HPBooks

General Engine Info:

"Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines"
by Richard Stone. SAE International

Hope these help some.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Bink,
Whats the more important info in this book?

im reading it and its just telling me most of the stuff i already know. Its not really helping me with tuning so far.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
Hey Bink,
Whats the more important info in this book?

im reading it and its just telling me most of the stuff i already know. Its not really helping me with tuning so far.
It's been a long time since a read it. I'll check when I get home.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

thanks.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Another_User
There is a book called "Corvette Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control: 1982 through 2001." It does not specifically tell you how to tune using tuning software, but it gives you a very complete understanding of how the entire LSx engine works. I highly recommend it. There is a PCM tuning book out there called "How to Tune and Modify Engine Managements Systems." I highly recommend you leave that book on the shelf. It is a total waste of money. Another useful book on how engine management systems works is "Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Management." A lot of GMs stuff is based off of it. (and yes, I own all of these books, so I am not talking out of my butt)
just bought it on amazon for 10.84
Old 11-16-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bink
It's been a long time since a read it. I'll check when I get home.

Ok.....this is a decent reference book. Not a complete read through.........much isn't applicable to LSXs.

Chapter 1 Understanding Fuel Delivery - a nice overview.

Chapter 3 Sensors - decent review. My first read was Probst's "Corvette Fuel Injection" book and it provided an excellent description of the sensors and their use by the PCM.
Much on sensors and the PCM can be found in the Holden PDF. - in the Sticky section above. There is also a fair amount of info in the GM shop manuals.

Capter 8 Standalone Systems - vary basic - decent, succinct reference material.

Chapter 13 EMS Tuning 101 - I thought this was a concise, basic review of spark,air and fuel.

I still believe an excellent education in tuning can be gained by going to the LS1Tech PCM Diagnostics and Tuning Archive. Start at the beginning and read every post by NoGo. It's time consuming but the info and explanations are phenomenal. NoGo was amazing.

Here's the Archive -> start at page one....look for NoGo posts ->https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1-domestic-forums/f-7.html
Old 11-17-2005, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

I have that book. "how to tune and modify engine management systems". It is VERY dry book, as mentioned by ninobrn. It is not LS1 tuning specific at all. I only learned about how fuel injection works, not how to tune.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00Z28SS
I have that book. "how to tune and modify engine management systems". It is VERY dry book, as mentioned by ninobrn. It is not LS1 tuning specific at all. I only learned about how fuel injection works, not how to tune.
wasted $30's on it

Quick Reply: Books that teach PCM tuning