Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F.A.S.T throttle body getting stuck

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F.A.S.T throttle body getting stuck

I have the LSX 90/90 combo set up on my car, and we are doing some tuning and we have tuned the idle about 5 times now, and it will idle fine until you put it in drive and go. As soon as you stop it will just sit at around 1500-2000rmp. Seems like the cable just keeps gettin caught after you give it gas. Has anyone else had this problem with their 90 throttle body. Let me know thanks!
Old 01-03-2006, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

Its likely not the cable at all. A common problem with the FAST TB's is that the throttle cable cam will slide on the shaft so the blade won't close all the way causing your high idle. Easiest thing to do is pull the intake/MAF, you'll probably see the throttle blade is open.
To fix it loosen the set screw on the back of cable cam, the blade should flop closed. Tighten it back up and you're golden. To keep this from happening again the easiest thing to do is machine or grind a flat on the shaft where the set screw will sit to keep it from moving again.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:59 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fix is to toss that FAST 90mm TB in to a lake.

Even if you do all the "fixes," there's a chance the shaft does not extend enough into your TPS (creating all sorts of timing havoc).
Also, the spring is tiny (best suited for a Mickey Mouse wind up wristwatch). People are attaching carb style return springs to various parts where they can hook them on to so as to assist that tiny spring in returning the blade shut. That's horse ****.
You bad a sh*tty TB that's been crap for a design for 2 years now and I'm sick of reading of others (besides myself) who have been screwed on this expensive product.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TRU-2GM
I have the LSX 90/90 combo set up on my car, and we are doing some tuning and we have tuned the idle about 5 times now, and it will idle fine until you put it in drive and go. As soon as you stop it will just sit at around 1500-2000rmp. Seems like the cable just keeps gettin caught after you give it gas. Has anyone else had this problem with their 90 throttle body. Let me know thanks!

Go look around in the "External Engine" section. There are two good posts and some pics as to what people are doing to try and fix it. FAST obviously doesnt give a ****, because I have sent them links to the posts, and called them directly to discuss my problems with mine.

Jeff
Old 01-04-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want a 90/90 setup as one of my next mods and will not get a Fast TB. There intake seems to be OK as far as I can tell.

Bill
Old 01-04-2006, 06:12 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Intake is fine (more than fine actually, it's great). Look at TPIS and Nick Williams for 90mm TB's.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Intake is fine (more than fine actually, it's great). Look at TPIS and Nick Williams for 90mm TB's.
I was thinking about getting the Nick TB.

Bill
Old 01-04-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine use to stick too, I ended up putting a spring return on it and solved that problem. In the following thread review my posts and you will find the details on the spring I used that worked.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/426783-new-fast-90mm-tb-sticks-bad.html

FYI, it's only been on for a short while but has worked flawlessly with a TR230 cam (about 14" of vacuum). If you have more vacuum than that you may end up with a stronger spring.

Also I have purchased a NW TB to replace the FAST. I'm going to experiment around a little with the FAST and see if a small hole in the TB and a bit of a stiffer spring on the shaft will fix it up, then sell it.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:12 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all the help guys, we put a spring on it today and it seemed to have fixed the majority of it. Appreciate all the help, and yeah the intake seems to be pretty bad ace.

Quick Reply: F.A.S.T throttle body getting stuck