PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desirable idle air intake number?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question Desirable idle air intake number?

Whats the target air intake value at idle in g/s? I've read somewhere that its supposed to be something like 20 g/s? I've been able to read with my predator tuner in lbs/m, and with the help of Gordy M. we read the g/s at like 6-7 at idle?! If I were to have 20 g/s my rpms would be like 2,000, so whats the story on this?

Thanks!
Adrian
Old 01-17-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every car is different, so don't get caught up in the numbers game. Hell, mine idles at 3.8 g/s. Just give your car what it wants and call it a day.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

alright thats a good enough answer for me
Old 01-17-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My engine sucks 20 grams/s at idle.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Nice numbers Jub! I made 441 and 400 with a slightly larger cam! We have a pretty even vehicle I think.

This makes me wonder now, because i have like 6-8 gm's intake at idle, and when I'm driving coming to a light and let out the clutch, my engine almost dies on me, so i wonder if my throttlebody plate isn't open enough. Guess its the perfect day to test it out! Of course, if I were to increase the air intake at idle, my idle will be very high...will my computer compensate for this?

Thanks!
Adrian
Old 01-20-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Look at your throttle cracker and throttle follwer tables. If it idles fine, don't mess with your running ariflow table.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Haans249
Nice numbers Jub! I made 441 and 400 with a slightly larger cam! We have a pretty even vehicle I think.

This makes me wonder now, because i have like 6-8 gm's intake at idle, and when I'm driving coming to a light and let out the clutch, my engine almost dies on me, so i wonder if my throttlebody plate isn't open enough. Guess its the perfect day to test it out! Of course, if I were to increase the air intake at idle, my idle will be very high...will my computer compensate for this?

Thanks!
Adrian
I'm still working the idle flow issue. My car idles great but when I scan, my GM.MAF and DYNCYLAIR read about 20 grams/sec where my IACDES_B reads about 12 grams/sec, same as I have it tuned for. I also notice that at idle the throttle is cracked plus I have a 5/16" hole drilled in the blade which I reckon accounts for the missing 8 grams. I'm just not sure if the MAF and Desired should match, or not. I'm so confused.

Last edited by jub jub; 01-20-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

I actually, do not have a scanning software only the (predator, which reads lbs/m and i used onlineconversions.com to convert to g/s), and I have never tuned my vehicle, so I don't know exactly what that means, only an idea. But its quite obvious that when I had it tuned, those value probably weren't tuned properly, so I'm guessing that messing with my idle air flow probably isn't going to do anything except make matters worse.

But just for testing purposes, i'm going to crack my plate open so I'm flowing like 16-18 g/s ,and then reset my TPS to read 0, and see what happens.

Thanks!
Adrian
Old 01-20-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Just to check again, the GM.MAF reads the intake flow from the MAF correct? So, I'm going to shoot for a value around 16-18 gms for that, but what about my IAC valve, is it going to compensate depending on what the tune says my idle air flow should be? And also, can you have an idle air flow of 16-18 but still keep relatively stock idle? What sets the idle on the vehicle?

Thanks, I'm a newbie I know, but I'm trying to solve this pain in the *** problem,
Adrian
Old 01-20-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Haans249
Just to check again, the GM.MAF reads the intake flow from the MAF correct? So, I'm going to shoot for a value around 16-18 gms for that, but what about my IAC valve, is it going to compensate depending on what the tune says my idle air flow should be? And also, can you have an idle air flow of 16-18 but still keep relatively stock idle? What sets the idle on the vehicle?

Thanks, I'm a newbie I know, but I'm trying to solve this pain in the *** problem,
Adrian
Yes, GM.MAF is reported from the MAF and is actually measured airflow. Of course, how accurate this figure is depends on actual calibration of the MAF. Since I have a cold air intake, I had to recalibrate my MAF by logging my DYNCYLAIR (calculated by the PCM) against MAF frequency and using that data to rebuild my GM.MAF sensor calibration table.

The GM.IACDES is based on the running air flow or RAF as some call it and is what controls the IAC or base idle. Of course, other air measurements are based on this figure. It is here where I'm a little confused as to what these figures are in relation to each other.

My car runs fine the way it is so I'm not to worried about it. I would however, like to understand the relationship between all the IAC pids and dynamic airflow.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Hmm, this maybe pointing towards the direction of problem that I'm having. I have a CAI, but I'm not sure that my MAF has been remapped. Maybe this is an issue...
Old 01-20-2006, 05:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My MAF reading is about 7g/sec at 700RPM idle.
I have stock cam. The cam is really going to
swing things. A M6 with even less idle drag,
might well see lower.