PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto tuning..is it possible?? (not related to trannys)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 06:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto tuning..is it possible?? (not related to trannys)

Its 3am, im stuck on the ship and bored out of my mind, so I started thinking. Is it possible to somehow create an excel sheet or some way use hptuners (since thats what i use to tune, but EFILive ideas more than welcome) to almost seamlessly create a tune based on your log? I mean could we in any way use our log, export it to a .csv file, then paste the info in a pre-made excel that would have a correction factor for all the pids logged? to auto tune the ve, spark, get rid of knock, ect...ect...ect... i know there are almost too many variables, but its just a thought. This would or should also only be done with a wideband of course to ensure the afr is indeed correct. Basically incorporate every excel sheet out there + histograms + whatever else is needed. am i crazy?
Old 03-09-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFR Error % = new VE table
A histogram can be created to provide new PE values
To get rid of Knock.. use the Knock histogram and apply it to your timing histogram (or to be even more custom, add a new histogram that factors in the knock learn factor to update high and low octane)
etc...

No need for an excel spreadsheet.. most of the auto tuning is already there.... the rest is just a histogram away... (that's the whole purpose of customizable histograms. there may be some exceptions where very complex mathmatical equations are needed and excel is necessary... but not for 90% of the tables that most of us would ever need to touch)
Old 03-09-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

what about timing tables? throttle cracker? things like that.. i havent been able to tune with a WB cause i was waiting for the new cable to come out, but Ill post up when the time comes
thanks Mike.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

I haven't toyed with throttle cracker much... but I don't see any reason to use an excel spreadsheet.. just need a custom histogram of some sort

what you can do is create a custom Idle scan... with histograms only for Idle characteristics... when you have idle dialed in, switch to your custom part throttle configuration, then WOT configuration, etc.... if you can get specific, you can limit the # of pids you use... if you can limit to under 12 (or may be 12 exact) then you can scan twice as fast

Once you get the new cable with a wideband you'll see a whole new world open up (even w/the 1.7 software where histograms weren't as customizable, if a wideband was detected, it opened up histograms such as wideband AFR % error ... where you get a histogram showing what % off you are for each cell... take that table, multiply by % to your VE, and bam... VE table is that much closer ... this is in effect auto VE Tuning)
Old 03-09-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

now thats something that troubles me... if you do take the afr error and multiply it, shouldnt it get right where it needs to be? why does it need to be done a few times? if you have the correction and implement it correctly, i would assume it should put your trim values to 0. i cant load the latest version cause i dont have my install cd i left it at home since i left on deployment. didnt think i would need it. would u mind emailing me a few of the cfg and histos u use? id like to get an idea of how its pieced together. ones that would log what you mentioned.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

To auto tune the VE table, refer to this (from EFILive, but you can still translate to HPTuners): Auto Ve Tuning Tutorial

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
now thats something that troubles me... if you do take the afr error and multiply it, shouldnt it get right where it needs to be? why does it need to be done a few times?
If you're using a dyno, you can hit every almost cell in the VE table and so you only have to do it once.

But, if you're doing this on the street, you won't hit every cell, so you have to do several iterations to hit more cells; you'll find that on each iteration, the cells that you already dialed in will show zero error.

Regards
Joe
Old 03-09-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

ill check out the link and the info makes sense. thanks!
Nino
Old 03-09-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

In a perfect world applying the AFR Error % once will get you 100% where you need to be... but unless you're on a very long drive (or a load balancing dyno such as a mustang dyno or dynojet w/dynopac) you're probably not going to hit every single possible cell enough times in 1 scan to accuretly tune every cell in the VE table

There's also a writeup in the stickies on how to do this via HP Tuners
Old 03-16-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

man i love hp tuners! i have never tune a car in my life, bought hp tuners sd 2 bar and volia 9 second pass first time at the track. there software is that user freindly. lovin' their ve error histogram....wham bam ..done
Old 03-17-2006, 04:36 AM
TECH Addict

holy shyte!! that thing is amazing!!