Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do the computers effect this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 06:37 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default do the computers effect this?

if i take out both of the computers will i be able to opperate my blinkers, head lights, brake lights and power windows?
Old 03-19-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not without rewiring and wiring switches to relays. The relays control lights, blinkers, ect... How extreme are you going? Are you getting rid of the entire body harness including the fuse/relay block under the hood? If so, I suggest going to Summit of Jegs and search for part number PRF-30001 (Painless 12 circuit fuse block). Good luck.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:06 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98 Silver Bullet
Not without rewiring and wiring switches to relays. The relays control lights, blinkers, ect... How extreme are you going? Are you getting rid of the entire body harness including the fuse/relay block under the hood? If so, I suggest going to Summit of Jegs and search for part number PRF-30001 (Painless 12 circuit fuse block). Good luck.

yeah im taking out every thing but i want to be able to use my dimmer switch, light on/off switch, windows, blinkers, and brakes with out using toggle switches...
Old 03-19-2006, 10:07 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
yeah im taking out every thing but i want to be able to use my dimmer switch, light on/off switch, windows, blinkers, and brakes with out using toggle switches...

im ditching the hvac, radio, windshield wipers, fog lights...
Old 03-19-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not to familiar with the 02, buy on my 93, the lights and blinkers are not controlled through a computer or module. But if I would have kept my window I would of had to keep on the control modules. I just put in manual window regulators.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Veteran

I would think there would be a generic street rod harness on the market.

Or maybe adapt a 1970's passenger car harness? Fewer wires, all the basic functions.

The way I am reading it sounds like you are going to do a non EFI motor.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:51 AM
11 Second Club

your car won't wor without the PCM. and the BCM has a part in controlling the VATS.
I deleated pretty much all the stuff you wanna take out minus the wipers (i still daily drive mine). just chase everything and start cutting wires.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

our car won't wor without the PCM
I didn't catch the "both computers" part. I suggest if you plan to undertake a task like this that you get a Helm's manual (for the wiring diagrams). The PCM turns things like fans on based on engine temperature but the fan relays & fuses are part of the underhood body harness. It can be done and it wouldn't be that difficult if you the proper wiring diagrams and understand them before you start ripping stuff out.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:11 AM
7 Second Club

well if i have to i'll have toggle switches for everything...

blinkers(left/right) headlights (3way toggle bright/dim/off) fans(both on/off), momentary starter, ignition, nitrous arm, fuel pump, nitrous pump, purge(momentary push button), T-brake(momentary push button), EWP...

i think that would cover them all.... i use the radio space and the hvac **** space.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
if i take out both of the computers will i be able to opperate my blinkers, head lights, brake lights and power windows?

YES!
but not without some work.

first off, EVERYTHING doesnt go thru the BCM.
second, theres a solution for everything..

some things, such as the blinkers, tail lights, and headlights, DONT go thru the BCM at all.

other things such as the power windows and dome light, do go thru the PCM, but its not hard to adapt... you may lose your auto down feature on the drivers window, and your lights wont dim off when you shut the door (they'll just shut off) but it can easily be done with a relay or two.

VATS can be disabled if you're using the stock PCM.. but i doubt you are.
the gauges can be replaced or modded with diffrent electronics behind it...

if you can read a wiring diagram and do everything one circuit at a time, its totally possible to remove the BCM and PCM from the system and have the whole car work..
what are you doing anyway? stripped out drag car running a aftermarket engine controller??

anyway, if it was me, id keep the BCM and PCM, and run off the stock computer.. but your goals may differ.. you never said what you're doing.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

btw, it would be STUPID to put toggles in for things that you already have switches for.

that stalk that normally operates the turn signals... thats just a switch.
the headlights on ****? yea, its a switch.

all of thoes are switches. some, like the window switches, need relays, but its not horribly complex.. they're just switches.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:06 AM
7 Second Club

im totall stripping all EFI wires and running a carburetor.... i will be taking out the ecm and bcm but i still want the car to function as a street car.

it will see very little street (1-2 days a week) and a lot of track(atleast 1 race per week)
Old 03-20-2006, 09:07 AM
7 Second Club

the whole car will probably end up being re wired for weight savings and for less hassle later.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:09 AM
7 Second Club

i already have other after market gauges for the car( speedo, tach, oil press. eng. temp. and fuel level.... i also have the Nasty performance fuel cell with custom 0-90ohm sender.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:46 PM
9 Second Club

I suggest you call Painless Wiring's tech line.... I just ordered their complete Drag Car 12 circuit wiring kit (509.00) thru Pace Performance.... In looking thru the catalog there seems to be a lot of extras that you can buy that seemingly will control dome lights, high beams, blinkers, etc....

I too, have taken out my HVAC, airbags, entire body harness, and pretty much every last bit of wiring out of the car... I'm basically starting from scratch and it's not something you're going to want to do without some type of harness from a company like painless... If not you'll end up running a ton of wires back and forth all over the car like spaghetti.... at least with the painless setup you'll have one fuse block that everything wires to, and a switch panel to control lights, ignition, fuel pump 1/2, fan, water pump, and one accessory....

My kit hasn't arrived in the mail yet but when it comes i can let you know exactly how hard (or easy) it was to install..... friends have told me it's pretty easy since Painless color codes everything.... however i have a 1LE with manual windows/locks so my setup might end up being somewhat simpler... hope this helps...
Old 03-21-2006, 07:36 AM
7 Second Club

i think i have decided to try and leave the BCU in but move it behind where the radio used to be.... hopefully ill still be able to keep all the functions that i want.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
I suggest you call Painless Wiring's tech line.... I just ordered their complete Drag Car 12 circuit wiring kit (509.00) thru Pace Performance.... In looking thru the catalog there seems to be a lot of extras that you can buy that seemingly will control dome lights, high beams, blinkers, etc....

I too, have taken out my HVAC, airbags, entire body harness, and pretty much every last bit of wiring out of the car... I'm basically starting from scratch and it's not something you're going to want to do without some type of harness from a company like painless... If not you'll end up running a ton of wires back and forth all over the car like spaghetti.... at least with the painless setup you'll have one fuse block that everything wires to, and a switch panel to control lights, ignition, fuel pump 1/2, fan, water pump, and one accessory....

My kit hasn't arrived in the mail yet but when it comes i can let you know exactly how hard (or easy) it was to install..... friends have told me it's pretty easy since Painless color codes everything.... however i have a 1LE with manual windows/locks so my setup might end up being somewhat simpler... hope this helps...

and then you look at this wire that says "turn signal"
then look at your column and see a plug.... then what?

or you could just take your stock harness, get a pin removal tool, and remove all the wires from the harness except the ones you need.

then your headlight switch, turn signal wires, brake light bulbs, every socket, plug ect works and fits...

first time you do it, it may take you a weekend or 3 days... after you've done it before, it would take less then one day to remove all the "extra" wires from the car.
and you now have a supply of colored, high quality wire to use to run other things...