Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

misfire #7...removed cats...help PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default misfire #7...removed cats...help PLEASE

Ok I had the #7 misfire before i took my cats off...The cats actually broke down and came out the exhaust before removal...Anyways i still have only 1 code showing PO307,,misfire cylinder 7...I just changed all plugs and wires too....Shouldn't i have a code for no cats....could this be it..p0307...I'm so lost and confused...the seems to run fine and idle right at 800 rpms...it's on 99 ls1 with only 22,000 miles so if you can help me out that would be great....
Old 04-30-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could possibly have a code the rear O2's, but that will not effect how the car runs.

You say that the car is running fine...and you don't feel a miss/sputter at all....even when driving? (If that was the case, I was going to say check and make sure all of your plugs were gapped correct, torqued down, and the wires clicked 2x on the coils and once on the plug)
Old 05-01-2006, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zymosis
You could possibly have a code the rear O2's, but that will not effect how the car runs.

You say that the car is running fine...and you don't feel a miss/sputter at all....even when driving? (If that was the case, I was going to say check and make sure all of your plugs were gapped correct, torqued down, and the wires clicked 2x on the coils and once on the plug)
Checked all plugs wires...they are alll straight...Any more suggestions...thanks
Old 05-01-2006, 02:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's misfires, and there's misfires. Might be just a little
bit outside the limits for setting codes but nothing you'd
notice. You'd have to do some road logging and see what
the misfires look like, whether #7 is really out of the pack
or they're all just popping at random.

Taking out cats will set rear O2 codes or catalyst
efficiency codes, not misfires. Though an obstructed
cat could have been what set the code initially. Any
misfire problem that was temporary, should see the
code go away in a few start cycles.

If you're convinced spark is food, that pretty much
leaves fuel. Swap your #7 injector for (say) #1, and
see what that does.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
see what that does.
you must have been hungry when you typed this
Old 05-05-2006, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
There's misfires, and there's misfires. Might be just a little
bit outside the limits for setting codes but nothing you'd
notice. You'd have to do some road logging and see what
the misfires look like, whether #7 is really out of the pack
or they're all just popping at random.

Taking out cats will set rear O2 codes or catalyst
efficiency codes, not misfires. Though an obstructed
cat could have been what set the code initially. Any
misfire problem that was temporary, should see the
code go away in a few start cycles.

see what that does.
Ok, So i think i might be on the right track finally....My ses light came on for p0307 misfire #7 cyclinder...So i changed my plugs and wires...still light...then my cats got destroyed so i took them off and put in flexpipe..still ses light..for po307....then the other day i finally could feel the motor start to miss and could smell fuel..strongly..so i think my #7 injector is stuck open...The car still runs and idles good ...no real loss of power..but hasn't been driven since i smelled the fuel...tommorrow i'm changing the injector and most likely the fouled out 7 plug...Is there anything else i shoud do....Am i on the right track here....Could of I damadeg an o2 sensor and if so which ones...the front or rears,,,,All input is great since i'm doing this tommorrow...Thanks
Old 05-05-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could have a broken / weak valve spring. I know you said stock 22k miles, but those symptoms were exactly the same as mine w/ a broken valve spring.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Could have a broken / weak valve spring. I know you said stock 22k miles, but those symptoms were exactly the same as mine w/ a broken valve spring.
I'm going to pull the valve cover and take a look just for piece of mind..even though my engine isn't making any wierd noises or ticking...Lets hope those springs are still intact...Thanks for the input though
Old 05-06-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

If there is no loss of power (which I didnt seefirst time through) I highly doubt its a valve spring.

My car was running / idling extremely rough. But there was no 'unusual' valve train noise.

It smelled like raw fuel.

I would do what jimmyblue said before I pull the valve covers.

"If you're convinced spark is food, that pretty much
see what that does."
Old 05-06-2006, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

If there is no loss of power (which I didnt seefirst time through) I highly doubt its a valve spring.

My car was running / idling extremely rough. But there was no 'unusual' valve train noise.

It smelled like raw fuel.

I would do what jimmyblue said before I pull the valve covers.

"If you're convinced spark is food, that pretty much
see what that does."
Ok...The # 7 injector was clogged up full of crap..swapped it out...but alot some gas went down into the cylinder...So i waited an hour put in new injector and new plug...Car ran white smoke for about half hour (all the excess gas) but then my misfire code went away and the car is running alot better...but i'm getting this weird baffle sound coming out of the passenger side exhaust..I think it may caused by some gas getting into the oil or my # 7 coil isn't that great so i ordered a new coil to put in tommorrow and i'm changing the oil again tommorrow...even though i can't really smell gas in the oil...But i know longer have a misfire code..but my exhaust makes this baffle sound here and there so am i on the right track still...any ideas what could be causing the sound...Thanks
Old 05-07-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Custom
Ok...The # 7 injector was clogged up full of crap..swapped it out...but alot some gas went down into the cylinder...So i waited an hour put in new injector and new plug...Car ran white smoke for about half hour (all the excess gas) but then my misfire code went away and the car is running alot better...but i'm getting this weird baffle sound coming out of the passenger side exhaust..I think it may caused by some gas getting into the oil or my # 7 coil isn't that great so i ordered a new coil to put in tommorrow and i'm changing the oil again tommorrow...even though i can't really smell gas in the oil...But i know longer have a misfire code..but my exhaust makes this baffle sound here and there so am i on the right track still...any ideas what could be causing the sound...Thanks
Wow, people are still thinking #7 fails because of some magic that forces more mass of oxygen into the cylinder....
even though it's probably the poorest flowing port of the bunch due to the narrower entrance and non-radiused rear wall (pic below).

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...217306_497.jpg