PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1edit -> HP tuners -> LS1edit tuning confirmation needed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 04:50 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS1edit -> HP tuners -> LS1edit tuning confirmation needed!

Hey guys, I finally got a copy of HP Tuners (thanks JRP!). It is from back-in-the-day and will tune any 98 or 02 model f-body. Myself and a buddy with a 2002 went in 1/2's on this program to fart around with.

I've been researching HPTuners.com and this site and have learned that I should have no problem reading/editing/re-flashing even though my car has already been tuned with LS1edit (HPE). I went outside earlier and read my PCM, saved the file (.hpt), unplugged, and came back inside, no problems.

I'm ready to tweak on it some and begin learning how to do this stuff but I do have some concerns.

Here's my question. If I mess around with my current LS1edit tune, then later go back to HPE for a full re-tune (new motor), will he be able to read the HPtuners tuned file and edit that?

I don't want to make some changes, then Chuck not be able to do anything to tune for the new setup.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should
Old 06-24-2006, 05:46 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by dc96819
It should
That's not the kind of answer I'm looking for!

Both mine and my friends cars have been tuned by LS1edit already.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the only way chuck would have a problem is if YOU were to lock the tune, otherwise he'll be able to read & edit the files just fine.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once its written back to the computer, its not an LS1Edit program or a HPTuners program in the computer, its a GM program that has been edited.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:44 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
once its written back to the computer, its not an LS1Edit program or a HPTuners program in the computer, its a GM program that has been edited.
Ok sweet! This is what I was thinking, and was talking with my friend about. I told him that although our computers are multi-lingual, the PCM is not.

I have saved the file unaltered from when Chuck tuned it, and I plan on re-loading it if I FUBAR mine.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:07 AM
That's what she said...

Holy ****. So much help, so little time. This stuff is starting to make sense though.

Anyone have a link to common HP Tuners acronyms? WTF is VSS (etc. lol)? I can usually figure out most of them, but some have me lost. Putting my pointer over the boxes and reading the description is useless for me if it's 75% acronyms that I don't understand!
Old 06-25-2006, 08:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...light=acronyms
Old 06-25-2006, 08:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

btw vss=vehicle speed sensor
Old 06-25-2006, 10:58 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

basically the GM PCM is its own language...
when you read it with a 3rd party editor or some kind, that editor/program puts it into a language that it wants..
kind of like a translator for 2 people speaking 2 different languages...
so on your PC its in HPT or LS1edit language depending on the file you use and program you use...
once it is written to the PCM its back in GM PCM language..

if you read the tune that is in there with HPT..its still all the correct info when you write it back..

as long as you dont put in a custom Operating system...like a 1 bar SD...then the PCM still has the original GM OS in there....
all you are dong is editing the parameters that fill various tables in that OS...
and the original tuner will be able toread and write if necessary....even if you dont put back in teh data from his tune, he will still be able to read and write to he pcm ..again..as long as the GM OS stays in there and its not locked
Old 06-25-2006, 04:03 PM
That's what she said...

Ok, I went and logged a little 1-2 run last night and have been checking it out on the scanner.

Under WOT, I'm only running like 20* of spark advance. High octane table says 27*, low octane is around 20*, so this leads me to believe it might be running on the low octane tables. I'm running 93 in it.

Also, my LTFT's are shooting up to like 7-8 (all positive) during the time when I was in the throttle. From what I've gathered, you want these to be always + or -5? Any insight?

If I upload the log file, can you guys take a look at it and see if you notice anything that a n3wb like myself does not?
Old 06-25-2006, 04:11 PM
That's what she said...

Here's the log, sorry it's kinda long, but bear with me.

You'll see the RPMS scream upwards about 5/8th the way though, and see the 1-2 shift.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
datalog1.zip (25.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-25-2006, 04:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

things i saw real quick bank 1 & bank 2 o2 sensors are pretty far off from one another at wot, your out of injector(idc went to 102%), few spikes of kr also.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, your O2s are a bit off from each other, you need bigger injectors, your VE is in bad need for a retune as you're 10% lean all over, so you knock at any attempt of going faster, and you also need a thermostat, as you're running a bit warm.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:55 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by foff667
things i saw real quick bank 1 & bank 2 o2 sensors are pretty far off from one another at wot, your out of injector(idc went to 102%), few spikes of kr also.
I noticed the O2 differences too, they have 120k miles on them AND I've got a puffing/ticking noise that I can't find for the life of me. The stock injectors are as old as the O2's but they are all going to be replaced with the new motor.

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
yup, your O2s are a bit off from each other, you need bigger injectors, your VE is in bad need for a retune as you're 10% lean all over, so you knock at any attempt of going faster, and you also need a thermostat, as you're running a bit warm.
Here's something wierd, the guage in the cluster never reads over 180* or so, even though the scanner was reading around 200*. The fans are set at 158* and 178*, but the high speed is not on all the time.

Any hunches on why the O2's are reading so differently? It does it pretty bad when it's just sitting there idling too.

PS - Thanks for taking the time to check it out guys, this support has really boosted my confidence with this stuff.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O2's usually are a bit off from each other, but as long as they mirror each other's behavior and they're not too far off, it's OK.
you might wanna check on that ECT guage, it's an important one to have working right. check the sensor too.
why did you change the fan to come up at 158? that's way low, there's been a recent thread that shows you the correct enable numbers for lower temp thermostats.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
O2's usually are a bit off from each other, but as long as they mirror each other's behavior and they're not too far off, it's OK.
you might wanna check on that ECT guage, it's an important one to have working right. check the sensor too.
why did you change the fan to come up at 158? that's way low, there's been a recent thread that shows you the correct enable numbers for lower temp thermostats.

the F-body ECT gauges all work that way...they are a dummy from about 180*ish up till about 240*ish...then they jump suddenly....its kind of funny to watch it get to 210...get stuck there and then suddenly jump up almost into the red when it makes it to that point..LOL
its correct...nothing to worry about...
the only fix is to go and get an aftermarket gauge and mount it somewhere
Old 06-25-2006, 10:56 PM
That's what she said...

I didn't change the fans to come on at those temps. I have not changed the tune at all since I got done at HPE.

I've always read that the '98 guages were supossed to be more accurate and not be dummies like the other years.

I can't complain about the way the car is running at all, it drives fine, idles/starts up great, and seems to make good power (117mph traps with full weight with 115k miles).
Old 06-26-2006, 05:53 PM
That's what she said...

Oh BTW, the car was tuned with an LS6/ported TB but now it has a FAST 90/NW90 with no further tuning work, this would probably explain the lean conditions (besides the fuel injectors max'd out .)