PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

If Microsoft made the Op Sys for Cars...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default If Microsoft made the Op Sys for Cars...

there just wouldn't be all this BS.. it would just be.. PLUG AND PLAY. I mean.. why not? The dang computer has all the info it needs just to automatically set up for new parts.
You put in new, bigger injectors.. start the car and the dash reads.."Found New Hardware" "adjust fuel curve". What's the big problem????

OK.. now that I got your attention.. LOL..
I hooked up HPtuners for the first time this morning. First order of business, set my new gearing ratio up. Was 2.73 gears, now 3.42s (changed out last week)
Did "Read Entire", saved the file.. opened the file to edit gearing...
and it already says 3.42 ???? wtf?
I know this hasn't been changed. It threw codes when I drove it after the rear end swap. I had a hypertech hand held and went back to stock settings before I got rid of the hypertech. The hypertech doesn't even have provisions for a 3.42 rear end so even if the flash didn't "stick", it couldn't have set it.
Is this thing clairvoyant? any ideas?
I tried setting it to 3.73s and wrote that file in. Then, without starting it, I read the system and was going to change the (fake) 3.73 to 3.42 and re-write it... buuuuut.. when I did the scan.. It came up 2.73 (at this point I'm looking for Rod Serling.. or Candid Camera) so I changed it to 3.42 and wrote it. Took it for a test drive and (so far) it hasn't thrown a code. WTF?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Teching In

YEa but i wonder what would happen if there was a Blue screen of death while you're car was running? Be kind of hard to do a reboot while your driving down the road.. But then again.. a ctrl alt del on your steering wheel would be nice!

Originally Posted by Todd157k
there just wouldn't be all this BS.. it would just be.. PLUG AND PLAY. I mean.. why not? The dang computer has all the info it needs just to automatically set up for new parts.
You put in new, bigger injectors.. start the car and the dash reads.."Found New Hardware" "adjust fuel curve". What's the big problem????

OK.. now that I got your attention.. LOL..
I hooked up HPtuners for the first time this morning. First order of business, set my new gearing ratio up. Was 2.73 gears, now 3.42s (changed out last week)
Did "Read Entire", saved the file.. opened the file to edit gearing...
and it already says 3.42 ???? wtf?
I know this hasn't been changed. It threw codes when I drove it after the rear end swap. I had a hypertech hand held and went back to stock settings before I got rid of the hypertech. The hypertech doesn't even have provisions for a 3.42 rear end so even if the flash didn't "stick", it couldn't have set it.
Is this thing clairvoyant? any ideas?
I tried setting it to 3.73s and wrote that file in. Then, without starting it, I read the system and was going to change the (fake) 3.73 to 3.42 and re-write it... buuuuut.. when I did the scan.. It came up 2.73 (at this point I'm looking for Rod Serling.. or Candid Camera) so I changed it to 3.42 and wrote it. Took it for a test drive and (so far) it hasn't thrown a code. WTF?
Old 12-02-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ricoch3T
YEa but i wonder what would happen if there was a Blue screen of death while you're car was running? Be kind of hard to do a reboot while your driving down the road.. But then again.. a ctrl alt del on your steering wheel would be nice!

Windows isnt so reliable so i wouldnt want it in my car. Now if Linux did it I would go for it. Linux machines dont crash nearly as much.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Banned

ya.. but you'd have to purchase modules for Linux Fuel Module, another module for Linux Transmissions.. etc.

(not all that familiar but when I tried it, I couldn't watch a dvd.. without buying a dvd module.. nothing much else worked either.. probably cause I didn't know much about it)
Old 12-03-2006, 02:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brad8266

Windows isnt so reliable so i wouldnt want it in my car. Now if Linux did it I would go for it. Linux machines dont crash nearly as much.

Yea.. I can see it now you go to cut the car off... "are you sure?" try to put it in gear "You are about to put it in gear, is this what you want to do?"

Thats not the only thing, how about pushing yes and then you get an error in exception AE000%32819dkdfneoi358uy9tedwlkj. (Try to find that in a code book! ) Car goes no where and you sit there cussing at it. Doesn't fix my computer and I'm sure it won't fix the car either! haha.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually if radio frequency tagging keeps going like it is you could have a PCM that would detect what is in the car and automatically adjust for it. Also cars are moving up as far as communications are going. I know we have serial data in our 'ancient' cars. Controller Access network now. How many more years before cars start taking advantage of a full featured network with componets that ID themselves??? Adding on devices or other options that you car didn't come with would be as simple as plugging in a connector.

It is a lot of overhead in the design phase though as well as other companies having to support it.

A graphical OS for a car could be stable if it didn't have to support every little thing in the market and it was designed from the ground up to work together with that set of hardware.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by brad8266

I second that thought, please, no microsoft in cars
Old 12-04-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

yeah, when cars have fly by wire steering, gas pedal and brakes i do not want something that is as unreliable as windows controling it. itll work great for about 10 days and then start having serious issues constantly. plus i dont want to have to wait 20 minutes to drive my car.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can have your windows plug and play unoptimized vehicle control system. It will just give me more ways to optimize the factory calibration and make more money off of tuning them.

Ryan
Old 12-04-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

hell, MS didn't even trust its own OS for its own Xbox, they used a modified Linux.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slow
You can have your windows plug and play unoptimized vehicle control system. It will just give me more ways to optimize the factory calibration and make more money off of tuning them.

Ryan
Old 12-05-2006, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cop Car
plus i dont want to have to wait 20 minutes to drive my car.

I recently just started dabbing into ubuntu. I run it on a separate hard drive. I am tring to ween myself off of windows!
Old 12-05-2006, 06:36 AM
TECH Resident

After reading your title, "If Microsoft made the Op Sys for Cars... " I thought your post was going to have something smart in it... like, "I'd shoot myself." Not that you actually want Microsoft to **** up your car. Are you on crack? Do you even realize what kind of people work for Micrsoft? They pay great and all but the quality of code that I've seen come out of that place (internship) is God awful! Some of it is even drunk coding...
Old 12-05-2006, 02:03 PM

Hince why there are soooo many viruses for the IBM Windows PC.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
hell, MS didn't even trust its own OS for its own Xbox, they used a modified Linux.

You should be cheering then! Because GNU Linux licensing says you have to release your source code. The ultimate gaming console.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Somebody09
After reading your title, "If Microsoft made the Op Sys for Cars... " I thought your post was going to have something smart in it... like, "I'd shoot myself." Not that you actually want Microsoft to **** up your car. Are you on crack? Do you even realize what kind of people work for Micrsoft? They pay great and all but the quality of code that I've seen come out of that place (internship) is God awful! Some of it is even drunk coding...
you say that like crack is such a bad thing.. ???

No, actually I was referring to the "Plug and Play" capabilities. If you were as old as I am, you'd remember the days of digging for drivers, set-up batch files etc. Trying to get a simple disc drive working was an event!
Wouldn't it be nice to just put in a new cam.. start up the car.. and the dash reads out "new cam settings installed".
I know MS isn't the first on the block with PnP... just widely recognized.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Veteran

I know MS isn't the first on the block with PnP... just widely recognized.
With "Plug and Play" they are the first on the block, because it is Microsoft that invented the term with Win95. But, you're right.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Confirm that on Win95.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

old but:

If Microsoft made cars...

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release
stating (by Mr Welch himself, The GM CEO): If GM had developed
technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the
following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road you would have to
buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason,
and you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn, would cause
your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would
have to reinstall the engine.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought
"Car95" or "CarNT." But then you would have to buy more seats.

6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, reliable,
five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would only run
on five per cent of the roads.

7. The oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be
replaced by a single "general car default" warning light.

8. New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag system would say "Are you sure?" before going off.

10. Occasionally for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out
and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the
door handle, turned the key, and grab hold of the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of
Rand McNally road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they
neither need them nor want them. Attempting to delete this option
would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50% or
more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the
Justice Department.

12. Everytime GM introduced a new model car buyers would have to learn
how to drive all over again because none of the controls would
operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You'd press the "start" button to shut off the engine.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Also, Windows (any version) is not a real time OS, and engine management requires a RTOS.