Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VE Table Quick Quetion

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 11:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VE Table Quick Quetion

If the values in the VE table are calculations of how efficent the engine is at a certain Rpm vs Kpa cell then.... by looking at the table and comparing it to other vechicles VE table you should be able to decided wich combination is more effincent at a given range wright?
Please explain
thnx!
Old 12-26-2006, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

IMO there are too many variables that would invalidate this. The first is the IFR table of each vehicle. If your table is out by say 2% you will have compensated for this in your VE table to get your actual AFR in line with commanded.

Imagine that the person you are comparing against has a similar discrepancy then the numbers are meaningless for comparison.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, Tordne got it about right--the VE table is generally used as the catch-all fudge factor, thus using it for comparison is unfortunatelly moot.
i've been working on isolating all other errors to eliminate the need to fudging with VE, but the system seems to be designed in a way that doesn't really allow for the VE to be a true theoretical VE. which, frankly, blows chunks.

theoretically, you're absolutely right tho, VE should be the best way to compare efficiency, power, and powerbands.

the way we have it working, you can only use it for observing relativistic changes on your own setup only. every car has too much slop to estabilish a good solid base necessary for comparisons.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Banned

So RedHard, your saying that since all cars are different (easily put) then my VE values are only good for comparing my upgrades to previous setups in area's such as effciency , power and powerbands?
Old 12-26-2006, 10:01 AM
12 Second Club

Exactly, the changes in your VE table will give you an idea of how upgrades changed the efficiency characteristics of your engine and at what areas of the powerband.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not efficiency, just "VE".

Calculate BSFC if you want to know how efficient your setup is.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SScam68
Not efficiency, just "VE".

Calculate BSFC if you want to know how efficient your setup is.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, BSFC is a combo of fuel consumption and hp. VE affects both, so it's a good starting point for comparisons. the best measure of efficiency is BMEP, which is torque and displacement combo, and since torque is compression, and compression is airmass, and airmass is calculated from VE...i just use VE
Old 12-26-2006, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
well, BSFC is a combo of fuel consumption and hp. VE affects both, so it's a good starting point for comparisons. the best measure of efficiency is BMEP, which is torque and displacement combo, and since torque is compression, and compression is airmass, and airmass is calculated from VE...i just use VE

Just to clarify.

BSFC = (fuel consumption rate)/(brake power output)...bang for buck if you will.

VE (true) = (Mass of air consumed)/ (mass of charge if cylinder were completely filled)

BMEP = (brake power output)/(sweep volume*rpm*number of cylinders)

I think I understand what you're trying to say in the last portion of your statement but it makes no sense.

There are a couple different ways to compare an engine's performance, even if they're totally different setups.

Last edited by SScam68; 12-26-2006 at 05:15 PM.