PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning for those of us that live in the sticks (email)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning for those of us that live in the sticks (email)

Pretty much what the title says along with this thread I startd here If I need to abandon the predator what is a good way to go that I can get good tuning support? Looks like LS1edit is $450 and HPtuners runs $499. I was hoping to be able to use the Predator...but maybe I waited too long, looks like RWTD isn't doing GM email tunes.

This is for a moderatly moddified car with 62cc chambered 2.02 intakes, F14 cam, long tube headers...and whatever else is in the sig.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have too much for a predator. And DON"T buy LS1 Edit. It was great 5 years ago when there wasn't anything else out there. It has ZERO scanning features and the software isn't friendly. Plus you cant tweak nearly as many parameters as HPT/EFIlive.

Get HPtuners or EFIlive and learn it yourself if there isnt anyone in your area that can take care of it for you.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, $500 for HP tuners...can I get accurate enough AF info from the O2 sensor scans or do I need to also pony up for a wideband?

I used to have access to Mallory's chasis dyno, but I think they may have closed.

What else will I need to get a decent tune?

My cam is a Futral F14, would it be easier to have Alan Futral perform a mail in tune?
I also need to delete my rear O2s and change my gear ratio to 4.10:1.

Thanks for the info, studdied up when I bought all my parts, but my health (nine broken vertabrae in my thoracic) kind of made me detour and put the project on hold. The motor right now is bone stock with 10k miles on it. I'll be measuring P to V to verify the F14 lobes will allow the 2.02" valves to clear

I'm preping all this week and then the week after my brother and I are both off all week for vacation. We're planning on completing the mechanical stuff in a week which should give us time to do it right.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also...if I guy with HP tuners can I go to the bin files sticky thread in this forum and find cars that are similarly modded to mine and use their tune to get me to a starting point and then look at all of the scanning data to fin tune
Old 11-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ssheets
Also...if I guy with HP tuners can I go to the bin files sticky thread in this forum and find cars that are similarly modded to mine and use their tune to get me to a starting point and then look at all of the scanning data to fin tune
You can go to their tune repository on their site to find a similar car/tune.
Go with the HPT pro, spend the extra money, you'll be glad you did. You can integrate your wideband with it.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The mail order tunes are good but when it comes to a cammed car it's like a guessing game to the tuner. He has no idea what YOUR car is doing and what needs to be changed. I went through several mail order tunes myself and just couldn't get it right. Jesse at Wait4me is a great tuner but when he can't see how the car is running it's hard for him to tune it. I bought EFI Live and since I didn't know what to do I took a log of how it ran and sent it to a tuner. Done that several times and he kept changing things and now it runs perfect.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mvvette97
The mail order tunes are good but when it comes to a cammed car it's like a guessing game to the tuner. He has no idea what YOUR car is doing and what needs to be changed. I went through several mail order tunes myself and just couldn't get it right. Jesse at Wait4me is a great tuner but when he can't see how the car is running it's hard for him to tune it. I bought EFI Live and since I didn't know what to do I took a log of how it ran and sent it to a tuner. Done that several times and he kept changing things and now it runs perfect.
WERD
Old 11-28-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Ok questions from a green rockie with ZERO knowledge of LS1 tuning. I just purchased a 2002 ls1 engine with auto trans from a ss camaro off of Evil bay. I'm going to be putting it in a 1965 cutlass. My goal is to get the engine running in the car in stock form with minor tuning like shift point changes etc, tire size and gear ratio adjustments, and delete unecessary emission codes etc. I am leaning towards the predator hand held unit. I also want to be able to diagnose error codes if I have future problems with this basically factory set up. Will this unit accomplish my goals . I know the full suite software programs have more options and fine tuning but I'd like to leave that to a professional dyno guy if I desire to go that far with this. last question, how do I get past any security codes in the factory pcm if I don't have originally vin number of the car etc..
Old 11-28-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rockytopper
Ok questions from a green rockie with ZERO knowledge of LS1 tuning. I just purchased a 2002 ls1 engine with auto trans from a ss camaro off of Evil bay. I'm going to be putting it in a 1965 cutlass. My goal is to get the engine running in the car in stock form with minor tuning like shift point changes etc, tire size and gear ratio adjustments, and delete unecessary emission codes etc. I am leaning towards the predator hand held unit. I also want to be able to diagnose error codes if I have future problems with this basically factory set up. Will this unit accomplish my goals . I know the full suite software programs have more options and fine tuning but I'd like to leave that to a professional dyno guy if I desire to go that far with this. last question, how do I get past any security codes in the factory pcm if I don't have originally vin number of the car etc..
I have a predator and it's a good scann reader, (actually it has no datalogging so you can only read codes and live data) but very limited as a programmer. For the money I would buy EFI Live or HP tuner and then in the future you can work with a programmer. It seems that custom tunes via Predators are not supported very well any more. At least I can't find anyone willing to do it.

That is, RWTD does tuning, but my car is a little beyond email tunes. I found one local shop that will tune using Predator for $500 tuning and $200 dyno time.

I ended up going with Wait4me and plan on buying HP Tuners or EFI Live in the future.

That's my 02cents.