PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Constant 4 degrees KR... anyway to edit out w/LS1 Edit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Constant 4 degrees KR... anyway to edit out w/LS1 Edit?

Ran into a strange issue yesterday at the track... I've been runnin my car for about 4 weeks now.. well yesterday at the track... (well on the way there) I set a SES about my KR insufficient voltage or something...

Ran down the strip (cleared code) and pulled a wonderful 13.3 ... on a heads/cam LS1....

Well... checked atap logs and I was getting constant 4 degrees KR, as soon as I would go WOT there it was!

Also the PCM switched to the low octane tables because of this... so I was only seeing about 12 degrees max timing...

I copied the high octane tables to the low octane tables and went out again... still had knock but ran a 12.3 this time...

If I could tune out the Knock... or desensitize so that anything under 4 degrees it doesn't care about... sure would make everything easier...

Old 07-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Constant 4 degrees KR... anyway to edit out w/LS1 Edit?

4* of KR is the max the PCM can see from the sensors is it not? Was reading the thread about 98's and the 3.9* of KR on all of them, maybe switching to a new set of sensors would help. How about using 100, or 106 race gas? Whats your AFR and timing? Could be real or false knock, narrow that down first.

Good-luck.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll give it a try on some 100 octane, haven't gotten the car dynoed yet but i'm pretty certain it's false knock...

I was messing around on the highway and as soon as I'd give over 4.1 volts (TPS) knock would hit 4* and I've been getting a KR low voltage SES light lately... not sure why, was fine for a few months and now it just came on yesterday
Old 07-27-2003, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I remember reading something here a while back about our KR system and I'm pretty sure that when there is a problem with the system it automatically goes into 4* KR for safety reasons. I think someone was trying to by-pass the system with a switch (like on LT1's) and it wouldnt work.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kevin at eastside shut off my knock sensors yesterday during a dyno tune so i know it can be done but he turned them back on before i left to be safe.Try paging Nogo at eastside. also look at the 98 with max knock #'s maybe it will help
Old 07-27-2003, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bad knock sensor?
Old 07-27-2003, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

If your knock sensor is bad it will generate 4 deg of knock retard.

Also, if there is a disconnect in your knock sensors you will get kicked to the low octane table.

In the ignition tab, locate the KR vs RPM table. Zero out this table to eliminate your KR.

You have to be careful about this though, because you have just completed eliminated your KR. I usually only do this on cars that are primarily track and run 100+ octane fuels.
If your car is actually detonating, you stand the chance of having to replace your motor in a couple months.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cool, thanks for the help guys. Based on what everyone said and from what a friend mentioned at the track... I think I may have pinched the knock sensor wire when I was putting my intake back on... so I'll be checkin it out this weekend.

Kevin thanks for the info
Old 07-28-2003, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ran into a strange issue yesterday at the track... I've been runnin my car for about 4 weeks now.. well yesterday at the track... (well on the way there) I set a SES about my KR insufficient voltage or something...

Ran down the strip (cleared code) and pulled a wonderful 13.3 ... on a heads/cam LS1....

Well... checked atap logs and I was getting constant 4 degrees KR, as soon as I would go WOT there it was!

Also the PCM switched to the low octane tables because of this... so I was only seeing about 12 degrees max timing...

I copied the high octane tables to the low octane tables and went out again... still had knock but ran a 12.3 this time...

If I could tune out the Knock... or desensitize so that anything under 4 degrees it doesn't care about... sure would make everything easier...

Thats what happened to my friend. He ran a 12.80@104 with 4* KR
Old 07-28-2003, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

yep sounds like a pretty nice little KR problem there. as you mentioned, i'd check your connections, and sensors. after that, ya might just have to pull a little timing if you've upped the CR. i had that problem with my 11.2:1 motor after the rings seated in. yours is probably just a wire though.

Quick Reply: Constant 4 degrees KR... anyway to edit out w/LS1 Edit?