PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to lean out part throttle in LS1Edit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to lean out part throttle in LS1Edit?

I do not have any logging software yet, but my car runs very rich at low and part throttle, it is fine at WOT. I just want to lean it out a bit until I get some logs done. What is the best methode to do this in LS1Edit without affecting the WOT performance, do I increase the values for the Injector flow rate? Which cells should I leave alone so I don't affect WOT? Is changing the MAF table a better approach?
Old 08-29-2003, 04:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: How to lean out part throttle in LS1Edit?

Part throttle is ussually controlled by the computer. ie L-terms.You need A-tap or similer to see where you are at.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:51 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BAD XXX, I see you finally made it over here from the SLP board! As for running rich, if it's mostly at idle, you can tune that with the Main VE tables in LS1edit. If you did a cam, I'm guessing that's the problem. The PCM doesn't control the AFR at idle because the cats don't get hot enough. Scale the VE back, amount depending on which cam you have.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Are you judging by smell? or BLK smoke. if smell then many times people smell hydrocarbons and think that is rich where it is lean. IF smoke then it is rich. check the plugs? just my personal experience.

Jeremy Formato
Old 08-30-2003, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Cal, I followed your advice, as I read up on one of your previous posts to scale the VE table to improve idle. Thank you. It worked great, I have a nearly stock idle now. BTW, I have a 218/218-114 cam with .559 lift, mid-length headers and an ORP (and a ported MAF). I'm still running rich Jeremy, according to my nose and the many backfires I get, especially when coasting downhill in 4th gear, loud pop, pop, pop. I don't see a lot of smoke. I just want to get my car to run better between 1000-3000 rpm without all the popping until I receive my logging software. I have 0 pinging. Thanks for the help guys, I am trying to learn the LS1Edit tuning game as fast as I can, Ive only had it for 3 days, but it's coming to me.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a thing to try that I see alot on 01 cars with headers.Multiply the IFR table by 95% and give it a drive to learn and see how it feels.I'm sure your L-terms are + and this will bring them down and should help part throttle.You might have to put the VE tables back to where the were.A 218 Cam shouldn't be having Idle problems.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:06 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah that's true, a lot of people run a 218 without any tuning at all. And you will get some poping and backfiring even with the stock cam; it's just that you don't hear it through the stock exhaust. A lot of people install a Loud Mouth and think the poping is cause by that. Anyway, with a cam you will always smell some raw gas at idle even when the AFM is right on because the overlap will let some fuel mixture get blown straight through the engine.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW, my TR220 ran perfectly on the stock tune, other than some minor timing adjustments, but that was at high rpm anyway. Now with my new cam, I had to adjust the VE table and it helped the eye burning at idle.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:17 AM
Launching!

I feel that my deceased mechanic put a bigger cam in than what I asked for, he could not produce a cam card before he died. It has plenty of lope at idle. I tried mult. the IFR table by 95%, and it ran good for about 15 miles, no popping at all, then it turned real rich again. My understanding is that you must mult. the table with a value above 100 to lean it out. I tried that last night, and now its really popping, but I will drive it today to see if the PCM will lean me out.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a thing to try that I see alot on 01 cars with headers.Multiply the IFR table by 95% and give it a drive to learn and see how it feels.I'm sure your L-terms are + and this will bring them down and should help part throttle.You might have to put the VE tables back to where the were.A 218 Cam shouldn't be having Idle problems.
Wouldn't this also affect your WOT too?
Old 09-02-2003, 01:58 AM
Launching!

It runs great now, very little popping, very quick. WOT is unchanged. Am I crazy, it seems like the exhaust changes pitch every time I do a tuning change!