Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Tax Time!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tax Time!!

Hey everybody! It's my favorite time of the year, where the government gives me some of my money back for mods! Haha.. Anyway, I've got a 95 formula, DD,130,xxx miles, mostly stock besides 3:73's and a moroso (sp?) cold air intake. Time to buy some goodies. This year I'm going to try to focus on suspension so I can get the power I've got to the ground. Going to start on the rear first. I know the first two words that come to mind are blisteins and konis, but my family has a parts store and they tend to get a little cranky when I spend my money elsewhere.. So that leaves me with maybe something along the line of Monroe shocks. Anybody had any good experience with them? Also maybe any other ideas on how to help one of these birds to hook up on a Missouri hillbilly budget? I know I can't expect too much without spending the money on the goods, but I'm kind of new to the world of understanding suspension and besides replacing old worn out shocks, I need someone to point me in the right direction.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Forgot to add in the fact that I have new tires an all 4 corners, coopers. Pretty sticky for what they are.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

No, I wouldn't suggest Monroes for anything more then a "band-aid fix" to replace extremely worn stock shocks till you can afford something better. There is a VERY VERY good reason why Monroes are so very much cheaper then the Bilsteins.

Just explain to the family you want a QUALITY part for the car that isn't something they carry and you aren't willing to go with a sub-par product because they don't have the good stuff.

Shocks are top of my list when I get my tax money. I already have the springs sitting in my room waiting.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
No, I wouldn't suggest Monroes for anything more then a "band-aid fix" to replace extremely worn stock shocks till you can afford something better. There is a VERY VERY good reason why Monroes are so very much cheaper then the Bilsteins.

Just explain to the family you want a QUALITY part for the car that isn't something they carry and you aren't willing to go with a sub-par product because they don't have the good stuff.

Shocks are top of my list when I get my tax money. I already have the springs sitting in my room waiting.
Right on, had a sneaky feeling that might be the case since I haven't heard too much talk about them on these cars. I appreciate the info and I'll start shopping around for some!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RyanCS4
Right on, had a sneaky feeling that might be the case since I haven't heard too much talk about them on these cars. I appreciate the info and I'll start shopping around for some!
I'm one of the VERY few on this board that gave Monroe a chance (I got the Max-Air rear shocks to replace my stock 190k+ decarbons last year) so I can actually speak from experience, they aren't a bad shock but they flat out won't work for lowered applications at all, the minimum air pressure (30 PSI) required by the shocks will lift the rear end off the lowering springs (hell 45 PSI will lift the rear off of stock heater hose modded springs). and they already require 5-10 PSI more air for the same responsiveness as when I put them in last summer, so they are showing signs of wear already, I'll be going Koni.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanCS4
Hey everybody! It's my favorite time of the year, where the government gives me some of my money back for mods! Haha.. Anyway, I've got a 95 formula, DD,130,xxx miles, mostly stock besides 3:73's and a moroso (sp?) cold air intake. Time to buy some goodies. This year I'm going to try to focus on suspension so I can get the power I've got to the ground. Going to start on the rear first. I know the first two words that come to mind are blisteins and konis, but my family has a parts store and they tend to get a little cranky when I spend my money elsewhere.. So that leaves me with maybe something along the line of Monroe shocks. Anybody had any good experience with them? Also maybe any other ideas on how to help one of these birds to hook up on a Missouri hillbilly budget? I know I can't expect too much without spending the money on the goods, but I'm kind of new to the world of understanding suspension and besides replacing old worn out shocks, I need someone to point me in the right direction.
What Daniel Richards said ^
The Monroe sensatracs have a slit cut in the piston to allow more fluid to pass through instead of the valves, this creates the effect of a blown out shock for "softer" ride quality. I wouldn't put those things on my car if they were given to me... And the problem with the cheap stuff isn't just that they don't last as long, its in how the shock is valved itself. So from 0 miles its not going to ride or handle well because of how its valved.
Don't buy **** parts because you are "limited" by your parents shop. Buy them once and do it right. Hell Id bet your parents would be able to get bilstiens in at least. If not go to stranoparts.com.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, Bilstein's or Koni's...I have Bilstein's with BMR springs and it rides great.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Teching In

I appreciate the info guys, gonna be getting the good stuff. Sounds like I may be better off replacing the springs too, I didn't even think about replacing those at first. I agree with you JD_AMG, I'm either gonna make the parts store order them in or go elsewhere. I'm gonna go look up some part numbers.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Lower control arms and sub frame connectors are also something to consider. I have UMI SFC's and will be getting LCA's this spring.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Got 2 bilsteins put on the back last night, and just that alone made the ride, handling, and launch so much nicer. Going to get the front 2 soon then will start on the other suspension components.

Quick Reply: Tax Time!!